AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re-reading
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LLB

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re-reading Reply with quote

I just posed this question over on AAR on Shelfari, but thought I'd ask about it here as well. Recently I've been re-reading Julie Garwood's Guardian Angel, and really, really loving it. It's as good as it was the first time around. What have you re-read recently, and has it been good for you?
sweetums

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also been doing a lot of re-reading.Had a ball with Johanna Lindsey's Warrior's Woman,and Keeper Of The Heart. Just finished Julie Garwood's Honor's Splendour, and The Gift. For me these books have stood the test of time, and if anything I'd forgotten just how very good they are. I wish I could I pick up new releases and know I'm going to love the book, sadly that's not been the case for me, which is why I'm doing so much re-reading Rolling Eyes
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing a lot of re-reading the past few months through audio books in my car. So far I've mainly done some Nora Roberts and Susan Elizabeth Phillips. Right now I'm listening to Natural Born Charmer by SEP, and am actually enjoying it more than when I read it the first time.
Lynda X

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I periodically reread Loretta Chase, Lisa Marie Rice, and Carla Kelly. I just finished rereading the early Catherine Anderson which I really enjoyed. When I'm tired, I'd rather reread an old favorite than start a new book because if it's not any good, I am irritated, and if it is, I'm too tired to read it!
When I reread a book, not only do I notice little tidbits that I didn't before, but I also don't have to worry that the hero or heroine will make a misstep. It's like meeting up with old friends. I can also skip those parts that I don't like, for example, some violence.
Mark

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reread a bunch of JAK books earlier this year and enjoyed them as much as ever. I am currently rereading and enjoying the Liad series and seeing things I either never noticed or forgot between readings.
Yuri

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest book I reread was Conflict of Honors by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller. These books never get old, and there are scenes that still make me want to bounce for joy.

Last edited by Yuri on Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nicole

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re-read all the time. I used to do it far more often than I do now, because book mooch, PBS, and my awesome local used book stores allow me to buy in bulk. I re-read everything. I find that I like things probably a little more the second time around, and I have books in my collection that I've read up to 10 times, and a select few even more than that. My most recent re-read was Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas. I enjoyed it. Probably not as much as the first time, but still a goody. I noticed some things I hadn't before.
MMcA

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of the month & I'm broke. The only new book I've read this week was Ben Elton's Blind Faith on Monday. (Not great.) So yes, mostly rereading at the moment.

Yesterday it was Gaudy Night by Sayers, and before that I reread Heyer's The Foundling and Sylvester because I'd mentioned them both on the boards, which put them into my head.
Those are all books I must have read thirty, forty times - so I know I enjoy them, but they're so familiar that I wouldn't find anything new in them.
Schola

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+IHS+

I've recently reread A Secret Love by Stephanie Laurens, which made me reevaluate my low opinion of her.

I also regularly St. Raven by Jo Beverley. It has been a surprising comfort read and I'm not sure why!
MarianneM

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Re-reading Reply with quote

One of my great joys is rereading books I really love. Right now, I'm under physical and mental pressure because the City fathers have decided to destroy many of the streets in our subdivison to install new storm sewers. Our street is torn up and it's virtually impossible to get out of my own driveway, and the daily racket is almost intolerable and definitely nervous-making. This is when I turn to my old beloved friends to reread them [it's better than Prozac and quite a lot cheaper]. I'm rereading Perfect Partners by JAK right now and enjoying it just as much as the first time I read it.

As Lynda X says above, when one rereads a favorite book, one notices little delights which escaped notice before. That enriches our whole experience of that author. Sometimes another thing occurs. Your whole perception of the book can alter on second or third reading. When I read JAK's Trust Me the first time, I liked it, but it was not my favorite of her books. After a few re-readings, it just got better and better, and is now one of my favorites of hers. I guess that the first time I read it, I was distracted and didn't pay close enough attention to plot development and the small, subtle touches of character development that have come to please me so much.

Mark Twain said somewhere in one of his writings something to the effect that when he was in his teens he thought his Dad was wrong a lot, but when he got into his twenties he was amazed at how much the old man had learned in three or four years.

Learning is a constant process. Thank God.

MarianneM
cheri

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit in the past I've hardly done any rereads accept by accident. I accidently reread Promise me by Kathleen Harrington within the last 2 months and decided to finish it. I have since reread Balogh's Slightly Dangerous, Cheryl St. John's His Secondhand Wife and Joe's Wife, Ranney's A Promise of Love, Teresa Mederios Yours until Dawn, Chase's Miss Wonderful (which I didn't like the 1st time but liked the @nd time) and Tanya Anne Crosby's Mckinnon's Bride. So I've found that a lot of books I've read lately are rereads and I'm having a really good time doing it. Very Happy cheri
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an avid re-reader. Sometimes I just want a comfort read with familiar people and a story where I already know what is coming. Sometimes I am just in the mood for a certain type of story or characters. Rather than take a chance on a new book, I'll reread a favorite. There are stories that I love and reread on a regular basis just because.

I am a fan of Christina Skye's Draycott Abbey books. She recently published a 2-in-1 book with the long out-of-print novella "What Dreams May Come" paired with another book from the seriesSeason of Wishes, which I also reread.

I recently reread Amanda Quick's Ravished, JAK's Absolutely, Positively, and Julie Garwood's The Bride, The Secret, and Guardian Angel.

Authors that are big rereads for me include Julie Garwood (earlier historicals,) Amanda Quick, Jayne Ann Krentz, Nora Roberts, Christina Skye (Draycott Abbey,) Diana Gabaldon, Mary Jo Putney, and Lynn Kurland.
PatW

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just recently re-read Judith Lansdowne's Amelia's Intrigue and The Bedeviled Duke. I have many of her books on my keeper shelf, but these are my favorites and I just realized why as I was thinking about your question, Laurie. It's because both of these books have major secondary relationships (neither are romances) that are both heartwarming and fun for me. In fact, these relationships form significant parts of the plots of the books. They are also quite funny in parts. For me that makes for a major comfort read.
Vanessa

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re-read all the time! A couple of months ago I went through the entire In Death series, and after reading the Stephanie Laurens thread I decided to go back and remember how much I like her lol and now I find myself re-reading Kresley Cole because everything she's written is so much fun to revisit Very Happy

When I go to work, I always try to have a new book and an old favorite just in case the new one isnt working out Smile
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: rereading Reply with quote

I like to reread books by an author before reading a new release. I reread some older Edith Layton books before reading her latest release, His Dark and Dangerous Ways, and especially enjoyed her book of short stories, A Love for All Seasons.

I also read for comfort, especially Amanda Quick, JAK, and Lynne Graham. Many of my comfort reads are not necessarily my top favorite books. Sometimes those can be emotionally draining or require concentration that I don't have the time or energy for. I like rereading because I tend to speed read new books to find out what happens in the story but with rereading I already know the outcome so I can take it slower and savor the writing and mood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: