AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nocturne Recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anne Marble

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Nocturne Recommendations Reply with quote

I've bought only a few Nocturnes because, well, I'm never sure which ones to buy. Smile Which ones do you recommend, and what did you like about them? Which ones have you disliked, and why?

Also, I recently read a review that gave one of their well-reviewed books one star and complained that it was about rapist elves, and implied that the entire line was like that. So do the Nocturnes tend to be darker? Or did that reader simply pick up the wrong books?

Thanks! Very Happy
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Nocturne Recommendations Reply with quote

Anne Marble wrote:

Also, I recently read a review that gave one of their well-reviewed books one star and complained that it was about rapist elves, and implied that the entire line was like that. So do the Nocturnes tend to be darker? Or did that reader simply pick up the wrong books?

Thanks! Very Happy

Okay, that whole thing about rapist elves intrigued me. Could you point me toward that review? Dying of curiosity here. Wink

I haven't picked up any Nocturnes. I look at them but never wind up buying. I think for me the issue is the publisher -- my experience is that regardless of what they put on the cover, the book is a Harlequin on the inside. And a Harlequin about werewolves just doesn't interest me.

Rapist elves, though? That I have to read to believe.Laughing

maggie b.
Anne Marble

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Nocturne Recommendations Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
Okay, that whole thing about rapist elves intrigued me. Could you point me toward that review? Dying of curiosity here. Wink

It was from a review of The Dark Gate by Pamela Palmer.
http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Gate-Silhouette-Nocturne/dp/0373617607/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212074426&sr=1-1

maggie b. wrote:
I haven't picked up any Nocturnes. I look at them but never wind up buying. I think for me the issue is the publisher -- my experience is that regardless of what they put on the cover, the book is a Harlequin on the inside. And a Harlequin about werewolves just doesn't interest me.

Rapist elves, though? That I have to read to believe.Laughing

My experience with Harlequin depends on the author. After all, they published some early Anne Stuart, and I've read great Harlequins and Silhouettes from authors such as Robyn Carr. Smile Also, the Silhouette Shadows line (their original paranormal line from the 1990s) had some really bizarre stuff, and they all came out before paranormals were all that popular.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Nocturne Recommendations Reply with quote

Anne Marble wrote:

My experience with Harlequin depends on the author. After all, they published some early Anne Stuart, and I've read great Harlequins and Silhouettes from authors such as Robyn Carr. Smile Also, the Silhouette Shadows line (their original paranormal line from the 1990s) had some really bizarre stuff, and they all came out before paranormals were all that popular.

Anne,

I agree absolutely and completely that it depends on the author. Some of my best reads last year were from the Everlasting Love line and Janice Kay Johnson is a favorite author I have stock piled. What I should have specified is that I get burned every time I plunge into the world of Harlequin without a lot of research/recommends. For whatever reason, when left to pull a book off the shelf on my own with Harlequin, I wind up messing up and hating the book. Weird because I am actually good at picking up new authors via browsing.

maggie b.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Nocturne Recommendations Reply with quote

Anne Marble wrote:

I remember liking this book, but I don't remember "rapist elves." A sequel is due out soon.
Kay
Anne Marble

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Nocturne Recommendations Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
I agree absolutely and completely that it depends on the author. Some of my best reads last year were from the Everlasting Love line and Janice Kay Johnson is a favorite author I have stock piled. What I should have specified is that I get burned every time I plunge into the world of Harlequin without a lot of research/recommends. For whatever reason, when left to pull a book off the shelf on my own with Harlequin, I wind up messing up and hating the book. Weird because I am actually good at picking up new authors via browsing.

I know that feeling. Lately, after I pick up a Harlequin or Silhouette, I end up reading a review that says the hero was a jerk, and his mother dresses him funny. Smile But that's what I get for picking up lines with Bombastic Billionaires.

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
Anne Marble wrote:

I remember liking this book, but I don't remember "rapist elves." A sequel is due out soon.

It might have been the bad guys, but I don't think they were precisely elves. I think they had another name. Unless I'm confusing the books with another series about a powerful race of long-lived beings. Smile
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Nocturne Recommendations Reply with quote

[quote="Anne Marble"]
maggie b. wrote:

[snipped]

Janice Kay Johnson still writes for Harlequin. I consider her books among the best on the market today. She's definitely an auto-buy for me and I have everything she's published. Lynda Sandoval has a mini-series coming out now (SE, I think) about the many-years-later aftermath of a disastrous prom night auto accident that so far has been very good. I wouldn't give up my older Justine Davis Trinity Street West books for anything. Among single titles, Linda Bennett's The Soldier and the Rose (Everlasting Love) is a great book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: