AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where do I start with Nalini Singh?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gwen G

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Where do I start with Nalini Singh? Reply with quote

Can I start with any of her books? Or should I methodically start at the beginning and read them in order? How many series does she have?
Abooklvr2

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Where do I start with Nalini Singh? Reply with quote

Gwen G wrote:
Can I start with any of her books? Or should I methodically start at the beginning and read them in order? How many series does she have?

You really should start at the beginning and read them in order. Each story builds on the one before it.

SueG
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slave to Sensation
Visions of Heat
Caressed by Ice
Mine to Possessed

I really, REALLY enjoy this series, Gwen. It seems well-conceived, in terms of the larger story arc. While I don't always like the characters -- I'm not wild about Faith, the heroine from Visions of Heat -- I do think that they are well developed. (And she's the only one I don't like all that much. I like the others.)

Two of the grievances I have against paranormal romances are the dependence on the lifemate device and the overabundance of sex (to the detriment of the romance/story).
While this series does use mated pairs, I haven't gotten the feeling that mating is quite as imperative in this series as it is in other series. Like...with Feehan's Carpathians, the Carpathians (usually the males) are doomed to a grey and emotionless life until they bond with their lifemate. If they're not able to find their lifemate and bond with her, eventually they become deteriorate and become vampires. (Did I get that right, Feehan experts?) In Lora Leigh's Breeds series, once a pair bonds, they basically go into sexual heat (that only their bonded mate can slake) and they can't even bear the touch of another person, male or female. It's just way too...imperative for me. I mean, what if one of the partners dies? What becomes of the other? I hate that the lifemate device seems to take away choice and free will. Anyway...in Singh's series, the hero and heroine DO mate but I still get the feeling that there IS a lot of choice involved -- that either partner could bow out if they wanted to. Sure, it would suck for the remaining partner (and the one doing the bowing out), but it's not like they'd just expire on the spot.

Or maybe that was just my perception.

The other thing I liked about this series is that it's sexy without being so chock-full of sexual content that the story and romance suffers. There's a lot of sexual tension and there are great scenes, but they're fairly short and don't take over the story.

The 5th book, Hostage to Pleasure, is due out in September, I think.

Singh is developing a storyline in the series -- that of the mysterious Ghost -- that I'm totally stuck on. Can't wait to have more tidbits about this person(s).
Retrograde

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:
Slave to Sensation
Visions of Heat
Caressed by Ice
Mine to Possessed

I really, REALLY enjoy this series, Gwen. It seems well-conceived, in terms of the larger story arc. While I don't always like the characters -- I'm not wild about Faith, the heroine from Visions of Heat -- I do think that they are well developed. (And she's the only one I don't like all that much. I like the others.)

Two of the grievances I have against paranormal romances are the dependence on the lifemate device and the overabundance of sex (to the detriment of the romance/story).
While this series does use mated pairs, I haven't gotten the feeling that mating is quite as imperative in this series as it is in other series. Like...with Feehan's Carpathians, the Carpathians (usually the males) are doomed to a grey and emotionless life until they bond with their lifemate. If they're not able to find their lifemate and bond with her, eventually they become deteriorate and become vampires. (Did I get that right, Feehan experts?) In Lora Leigh's Breeds series, once a pair bonds, they basically go into sexual heat (that only their bonded mate can slake) and they can't even bear the touch of another person, male or female. It's just way too...imperative for me. I mean, what if one of the partners dies? What becomes of the other? I hate that the lifemate device seems to take away choice and free will. Anyway...in Singh's series, the hero and heroine DO mate but I still get the feeling that there IS a lot of choice involved -- that either partner could bow out if they wanted to. Sure, it would suck for the remaining partner (and the one doing the bowing out), but it's not like they'd just expire on the spot.

Or maybe that was just my perception.

The other thing I liked about this series is that it's sexy without being so chock-full of sexual content that the story and romance suffers. There's a lot of sexual tension and there are great scenes, but they're fairly short and don't take over the story.

The 5th book, Hostage to Pleasure, is due out in September, I think.

Singh is developing a storyline in the series -- that of the mysterious Ghost -- that I'm totally stuck on. Can't wait to have more tidbits about this person(s).

This is pretty much spot on. I'm a huge Nalini Singh junkie, not to mention a self-confessed Paranormal buff, and i'm really impressed with her take on the genre. There isn't a ton of gratuitous lusting that a lot of romances suffer from - the characters feel genuine attraction and genuine emotions, but it develops throughout the story instead of starting off with instant overblown infatuation, which I think is a clichéd tool that romance writers tend to fall back on. I love the fact that when Lucas meets Sascha in book one, he's quite taken with her, but it doesn't detract from his mission. Nor does he treat her badly, but he's understandably wary while still itching to explore her secrets. It isn't an instant capitulation for the sake of it, and i'm grateful for that. There's a realistic struggle between his responsibilities and his feeling for Sascha, and I feel that it comes off as genuine and real, if that word can be used to refer to Paranormals. At the same time, it's an incredibly smart book, and sexy as hell. I love the fact that Singh's couples spend a lot of time together, so we can witness their relationship bloom. I'm in it primarily for the romance after all, so long separations don't work for me. But the paranormal aspects are woven through so expertly that you're getting all the information you need without sacrificing time with the couple. The writing flows seamlessly, and I found the descriptions of the PsyNet particularly enchanting. I've heard complaints from people who found it difficult to understand, but I was engrossed from the first page to the last, and had no difficulty following the story at all.

With regards to Faith, I liked her a little more than Tally. I absolutely loved the descriptions of her interaction with the NetMind, i'm thoroughly impressed with how Singh described it to us. As a result, I warmed to Faith more, especially when Singh also introduced a more emotional aspect with her father. I think Visions Of Heat is one you have to read a few times to appreciate what's there.

Last edited by Retrograde on Tue May 20, 2008 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Retrograde

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I start with Nalini Singh? Reply with quote

Gwen G wrote:

Just to add another point, i'd start with the Psy/Changeling series, of which the first is Slave To Sensation. Niftybergin outlined the rest of the books in the series, and i'd recommend you go through it in that order. In addition, Singh is coming out with a new series soon, called Angel's Blood, which also looks fantastic.
Kass

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only Singh title I've found in my used bookstore so far is not part of this series. What about the other books she's written?

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
jitterbug

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retrograde wrote:
With regards to Faith, I liked her a little more than Tally. I absolutely loved the descriptions of her interaction with the NetMind, i'm thoroughly impressed with how Singh described it to us. As a result, I warmed to Faith more, especially when Singh also introduced a more emotional aspect with her father. I think Visions Of Heat is one you have to read a few times to appreciate what's there.

I liked Faith better than Tally too - conversely I had some problems with Vaughn but I really appreciated Clay. I know Tally had a lot of baggage, but I couldn't quite warm to her, I didn't like the way she treated Clay at all. Still I enjoyed her book, particularly because I'm totally absorbed by the general plot. I really want to know what will happen in every book. That's why I know that I will love Hostage to Pleasure.
Well, I suppose it helps that I find Dorian so very hot Wink (september seems so far away...)

Anyway, Gwen G, you really should read the books in order.

Kass wrote:
The only Singh title I've found in my used bookstore so far is not part of this series. What about the other books she's written?

I've read Awaken to Pleasure. It's a Silhoutte Desire book. What can I say? It's very... Silhouette Desire Wink do you enjoy category romances? I read them now and then - they are my guilty pleasure. With moderation though (too much saccharine).
I liked that the hero, rich and gorgeous and powerful, is neither a jerk, not that I remember anyway, nor the classic modern rake that sleeps with every top-model/actress/groupie who is around just because he can. He's in love with the poor gorgeous virginal heroine even before the book begins Wink - she's in dire straits and of course he offers marriage in order to help her Wink
I wouldn't have tried this book if not for the P/C series. I read it, I appreciated some things, I rolled my eyes at some other parts (the heroine has some martyr-like traits that are so... Rolling Eyes) and I found it overall OK.
The P/C series is much more memorable Wink
Retrograde

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jitterbug wrote:
I liked Faith better than Tally too - conversely I had some problems with Vaughn but I really appreciated Clay. I know Tally had a lot of baggage, but I couldn't quite warm to her, I didn't like the way she treated Clay at all. Still I enjoyed her book, particularly because I'm totally absorbed by the general plot. I really want to know what will happen in every book. That's why I know that I will love Hostage to Pleasure.
Well, I suppose it helps that I find Dorian so very hot Wink (september seems so far away...)

I agree. I read Mine To Possess again immediately after I finished it and found that I liked Tally a little less. The first time round, I was really caught up in the romance and suspense, so a second reading allowed me to pick up on anything I missed (I have to point out that I only do this with Nalini Singh's books, because they're so wonderfully intricate and thrilling). In regards to Tally, I think Singh crafted a very complex character and justified her actions well. However, as believable as the character was, I still objected to her treatment of Clay. I really didn't understand her rejection of him, cos I think that even through all she's seen and experienced, she knew deep down that he was a strong and noble person that would never hurt her. But we all make mistakes, and I truly appreciate and love a character like that with deep flaws, especially when we're compensated with such a beautiful and unshakeable bond between the couple. More than anything, I knew that nothing could break them, and it just made the reading experience that much more fulfilling.

I really can't wait for the next two books - Dorian and Mercy! It's gonna be soooo good. I can't wait to see Mercy in action. I love tough women that don't have to act badass - they simply know that they're strong and capable. I think we have a real treat in store for us with her. Very Happy
Kass

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've read Awaken to Pleasure.

Awaken the Senses here. It was fairly interesting, with a non-jerk hero and a mixed-race heroine.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
Gwen G

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You , everybody!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: