AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why buy E-Books?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terese

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Why buy E-Books? Reply with quote

A year ago I was on a real kick of buying ebooks. I bought from Ellora's Cave, I bought from loose id, I bought from New Concepts Publishing, I bought from Fictionwise. Nearly all of those ebooks were romantica that weren't available in paper in my local stores. A lot of those ebooks were actually pretty decent reads and I don't regret buying them. But I began to tally up what I was spending on ebooks compared to paperbacks and I was surprised. Horrified, rather. Why had I imagined that I was saving money by buying in the e-format? It was hardly cheaper at all. And more of the ebooks that I bought I would have graded C or lower. These are still some ebook authors that I will continue to buy, but I have to say Enough is Enough! I haven't had any trouble, but I've heard of many people who order an ebook but the download link won't work and then when the buyer contacts the epublisher they don't get an answer. Money down the drain. At least with a paper book from the morter store you can walk out with the book in your hands.
Retrograde

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a free e-book download once, but even though I had all the correct software installed, it just wouldn't work. That's one reason why i'm wary about e-books. But most importantly, I like getting something tangible for my money. And nothing beats paper and ink in my opinion.
Natalie

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sony Reader so ebooks are my preferred way of reading books.

First, it's convenient. You can load up a couple of dozens of books on one device... and it's not going to be heavier. It's a savior when it comes to travelling.

Second, ebooks don't take up space. My book shelves are already bursting and there's no space for more.

Thirdly, ebook versions are generally cheaper than corresponding printed versions (a dollar or so for paperbacks, more for hardcovers).

Finally, while I do like the experience of reading a real paper book, it's not the presentation that matters most, but the text. All the fancy paper and binding wouldn't save the book if the story is crap. Besides, the eInk technology that's being used by Sony, Amazon and other companies is getting closer and closer to the look of paper so it doesn't hurt your eyes like a typical LCD. Soon, you won't be able to tell a difference Wink
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just recently made the switch from paper to electronic books after purchasing the Kindle from Amazon.

My main motivation was space; I keep a lot of my favorite books since I read them more than once. I just don't have a lot of space to store many more books even though I have done some major weeding over the last couple of years.

The cost of the Kindle editions is lower than bookstore prices, even with discounts. Most paperbacks run in the $4-6 dollar range and all hard covers are only $9.99. I always did a lot of online book shopping and postage was adding up. Or, I would have to wait until I accumulated enough for free shipping. Sometimes you just wanted a book fast and would have to pay the shipping. With the Kindle, it downloads the book instantly in literally seconds with no computer involved.

I love reading on my Kindle. It is easy and comfortable and I can actually read more quickly. Plus I can increase the type size if I want. It is great for traveling since it can store 200 books and more when you add an SD card.

I have never used any of the other ebook readers so can't compare, but I absolutely love my Kindle!
Terese

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things that is annoying me is that if I buy a novel in paper I'll spend about $5.99-6.99 at Barnes and Noble. If I buy that same book thru an e-publisher it will cost me only pennies less. Literally. I would have thought that the price would be much lower, considering that the publisher doesn't have to pay for the paper, the ink, the binding, the shipping... I certainly don't mean that the author should be paid less. But it makes me wonder how much do we pay for the creation--the end product-- and how much for the creativity? A story comes from someone's heart and brain. That someone struggles to put it into words that will convey what they see in their brains so the reader can enjoy it. The cost for the creativity can't be quantified. )Publishers do put a price on it tho thru the paying out of royalties.) The cost of physical items like paper and ink, however, can be quantified. What costs are involved with publishing an e-book? Salaries for staff, sofware? It seems to me that e-book readers are paying comparable prices for a non-physical item. Especially when you consider that the price to read an ebook on a reader isn't free.

I guess I sound like I'm whining. I've enjoyed many of the e-books I've bought. I just don't like that the ebooks cost as much as the paper copies. Is it supply and demand?
LLB

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: What I think it is Reply with quote

Terese wrote:
One of the things that is annoying me is that if I buy a novel in paper I'll spend about $5.99-6.99 at Barnes and Noble. If I buy that same book thru an e-publisher it will cost me only pennies less. Literally. I would have thought that the price would be much lower, considering that the publisher doesn't have to pay for the paper, the ink, the binding, the shipping... I certainly don't mean that the author should be paid less. But it makes me wonder how much do we pay for the creation--the end product-- and how much for the creativity? A story comes from someone's heart and brain. That someone struggles to put it into words that will convey what they see in their brains so the reader can enjoy it. The cost for the creativity can't be quantified. )Publishers do put a price on it tho thru the paying out of royalties.) The cost of physical items like paper and ink, however, can be quantified. What costs are involved with publishing an e-book? Salaries for staff, sofware? It seems to me that e-book readers are paying comparable prices for a non-physical item. Especially when you consider that the price to read an ebook on a reader isn't free.

I guess I sound like I'm whining. I've enjoyed many of the e-books I've bought. I just don't like that the ebooks cost as much as the paper copies. Is it supply and demand?

I think that it's not so much supply and demand as publishers trying to cover their behinds. Let me explain. It DOES cost less to NOT physically publish a book. There's less in supplies...and less in distribution. BUT publishers are worried that readers will find a way to share ebooks like they do physical books, and that's why the price is too high. It SHOULD be like cd's versus downloads. It costs a third or more to buy a full cd from a record store than it does to download that entire cd at iTunes. I think that eventually prices will come down, and I think, honestly, that the Kindle is going to help that happen. At least, I hope so.

Another point that matters is just who is publishing these books. Erotic romance as published by EC, for instance, is definitely cheaper in e-format than in print, but it adds up, particularly for shorter books that are really short-story length.

My guess is that the price for mainstream published books in e-format is going to decrease, and at some point, the e-book publishers who also publish in trade format will need to make a decision. Now that all the mainstream publishers are also publishing erotic romance - and some by the same authors - I think the prices will be forced down all around. I could be wrong, or naive, but that's my guess.
Nana

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what if you have an e-book wallbanger? How are you supposed to vent your rage - by pushing "delete" really vigorously?
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in ebooks because I spend a lot of time online and have zero time to browse a bookstore--but the price of an ereader? Yikes! Shocked When the price goes down, or I make more money *g* I'll invest.
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a Kindle for Christmas. Though I hate to say it, it's still in the box. As "portable" items go, to take along to the dentist or something of the sort, it isn't really portable in the sense that it will slip into my purse the way a mm paperback does. It would require a tote bag.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veasleyd1 wrote:
I received a Kindle for Christmas. Though I hate to say it, it's still in the box. As "portable" items go, to take along to the dentist or something of the sort, it isn't really portable in the sense that it will slip into my purse the way a mm paperback does. It would require a tote bag.

Oh, my! I practically attacked the UPS guy when he delivered mine and couldn't wait to get started. I guess I have a bigger purse than you because mine slips in quite easily and my purse is just average-sized. I really would encourage you to give it a whirl. It is absolutely divine! Very Happy
ali

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I debated for a long time about getting an ereader and finally got a used Sony ereader about 4 months ago on Ebay. I won't say I loved it from the beginning, it took a little getting used to for me, but I do absolutely love it now. As for the price of ebooks, I use fictionwise mostly and with the discount card most books are at least over 20% less than the paperback. Fictionwise also has many specials so as long as I can control my impulse to buy a book right then there are many times they will eventually have the book for more than 40% less than the paperback version. As others have mentioned I just do not have the space to store all my paperbacks which is one of they main reasons I switched.

For those who don't want to spend $400 for a kindle or $300 for Sony I just read that a new e-ink reader is coming out soon from Astak mentor. They will have three sizes 5", 6", and 9" and their prices are suppose to be much cheaper than kindle and sony.
KristinaCook

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Kindle a few weeks ago, and I love, love, LOVE it! It is portable, though I did have to upgrade my purse to a bigger one. With the eInk technology, I find it very easy to read--it does look very much like a printed book page. The first thing I did was buy all my favorite 'keeper' books so that I have them handy any time I'm stranded somewhere. Once, sitting in the emergency room with my daughter who had injured her thumb (on a Sunday afternoon, of course, when the pediatrician's office was closed), I was able to download her an ebook to read, right there in the waiting room! Talk about a life-saver.

But the biggest plus--and the main reason I got it--is because I can email myself files, straight to the Kindle. So, when I finish writing a manuscript, rather than printing out all 400 pages, as I usually do, to read through (because I hate to read it on the computer screen), I email myself the completed manuscript. Amazon converts it to a digital format--just like an ebook--and I can then read through the manuscript there on the Kindle, even making notes to myself. It's great, and I feel like I'm doing something 'green' by not printing out so many paper pages and then throwing them away.

I will say, though, that it hasn't changed my buying habits, in that I'm still buying the same books I would buy in the bookstore--in other words, all books by major 'print' publishers, and yep, they're cheaper than their print counterparts (especially if you're buying something that's only available in print as a hardcover). Of course, the books that I really love, I'll end up buying in paper version, too. For instance, I just bought and read THE HOST by Stephenie Meyer on my Kindle. I liked it so much I think I'll probably buy the print version when it comes out in paperback, simply because I'd like to add it to my 'library'.
Mark

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people have already mentioned most of my reasons. My variation is that for decades I have kept EVERY book I buy, not just a few keepers. Physical space for bookshelves has become a serious challenge. I bought a Sony Reader when they first came out and now have almost 900 titles in ebook form (a couple hundred of those were free from various sources). I have about 700 of them currently loaded on the memory card in my Reader, so I have instant access to any of them if the mood strikes. I plan to carry the Reader instead of my usual half a suitcase of books on my next vacation.
An issue with having so many titles without a visible reminder is that I started keeping careful records soon after I started buying ebooks. Beyond the entries in my main book lists, I keep a spreadsheet listing only my ebooks. I keep estimated reading times in the spreadsheet since I try to pick evening reads that I can finish in the hours available.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:

An issue with having so many titles without a visible reminder is that I started keeping careful records soon after I started buying ebooks. Beyond the entries in my main book lists, I keep a spreadsheet listing only my ebooks.

This is a really good suggestion, Mark. Having just purchased a Kindle, I know it won't be long before I have a good number of books loaded and stored. Without that visual cue, keeping track could be a problem. Thanks for the tip.
BeeCali

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an online download locker when you sign into Amazon that lists all your Kindle purchases by date. You click "manage my kindle" when you are signed into your account. I often send books back to my online kindle and leave the space on the reader free. Then I'm not paging through sample chapters, etc. So no need to spreadsheet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: