AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
Historical Recommendations?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
peajay



Joined: 12 Apr 2007
Posts: 45

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Historical Recommendations? Reply with quote

I haven't been able to find a lot of historicals that I can get into lately and I was hoping someone shares my taste and can give me some recommendations.

I really like a heroine who is strong and has a lot of self-possession. I don't care if she is old or young, sexually innocent or experienced, beautiful or plain, etc... just so she doesn't blush and stutter and have a nervous breakdown when the hero gets within a few yards.

Like Jessica Tate in Lord of Scoundrels
Like Sophy in The Grand Sophy
Like Alinor in the Roselyn Chronicles

Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yulie



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1149
Location: Elsewhere

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only read Lord of Scoundrels of the books you mentioned, so I'm not sure I'm in the right direction, but:

If you haven't read it yet, you might want to try Private Arrangements by Sherry Thomas. Gigi, the heroine, may not be to everyone's taste, but she definitely doesn't blush and stutter. Smile

If you Deceive by Kresley Cole - though it's the third in a trilogy, I think it also stands alone fairly well, and the heroine is pretty self-possesed.

I also think Helene in Liz Carlyle's Beauty Like the Night might work for you, though that one's not a new release.

I'm sure there are more, but I'm at work and can't think of any right now - so I'll get back to my actual job . Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
graceC



Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Posts: 468

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read Connie Brockway's As You Desire? I would recommend her historicals very highly. Most of them received high ratings here.

Some other historical authors I've enjoyed:
Betina Krahn ('The Wife Test', 'The Husband Test', 'The Marriage Test')
Adele Ashworth (especially 'Winter Garden').
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head....have you read,
A Rose At Midnight by Anne Stuart, Midnight Honor by Marsha Canham,Winter Garden or My Darling Caroline by Adele Ashworth, The Secret Swan by Shana Abe, Only His by Elizabeth Lowell (the hero is sort of a jerk, but she can stand up to him), Highlander Unbound by Julia London.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dick



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 2498

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you like medievals? If so, I recommend Elizabeth Elliott's "The Warlord" (a personal favorite) and "Scoundrel"; Julianne Garnett's "The Vow," " The Scotsman," "The Baron," and "The Laird"; Marian Edwards' "Hearts Victorious."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Natalie



Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Posts: 1692

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A Christmas Bride" by Mary Balogh and some of her recent historicals, "Slightly Scandalous" and "Slightly Dangerous" in particular.

"Lady Gallant" by Suzanne Robinson (Tudor England), an old favorite of mine - the heroine does start out as somewhat of a "mouse" (albeit a brave one) but turns into a veritable "dragon" (in the hero's own words).

Mary Jo Putney has strong heroines in her historicals:
Uncommon Vows (a medieval) - very strong and freedom loving
pretty much all heroines in the Fallen Angels series (especially in Angel Rogue - she's half Indian and very independent, there's an interesting clash with a hero who wants to protect her on her journey to London - one of my favorite books ever)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Schola



Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1867

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Historical Recommendations? Reply with quote

peajay wrote:
I really like a heroine who is strong and has a lot of self-possession. I don't care if she is old or young, sexually innocent or experienced, beautiful or plain, etc... just so she doesn't blush and stutter and have a nervous breakdown when the hero gets within a few yards.


+IHS+

I'd recommend anything by Jo Beverley, but with those criteria, the following titles spring to the forefront:

Winter Fire -- It's a Georgian with a heroine who once fought Barbary pirates.

The Shattered Rose -- A Medieval with a very calm, cool and collected heroine . . . but there's adultery in the story and she tends to rub many readers the wrong way. I love this book, but read it at your own risk . . .

Dangerous Joy -- The heroine of this Regency-set novel reminds me a bit of Jessica (of Lord of Scoundrels). She's very headstrong and exasperating, but she has good reasons.

Have you tried Loretta Chase's other novels? I think that you'll like Mr. Impossible and Lord Perfect, the latter fitting your requirements more closely.

I also recommend Mary Jo Putney's Petals in the Storm. It's darker than what you'd get from Chase, but the heroine is one of the strongest I've ever read.
_________________
"To be in a romance is to be in uncongenial surroundings. To be born into this earth is to be born into uncongenial surroundings, hence to be born into a romance." (G.K. Chesterton)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maysa



Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 67

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Judith Ivory (who also writes under the name Judy Cuevas)? Particularly Sleeping Beauty or Untie My Heart.

Lisa Kleypas' Then Came You and Laura Kinsale's The Prince of Midnight also have strong heroines.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
blossom



Joined: 15 Feb 2008
Posts: 37
Location: Yukon Territory, Canada

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently read " The Spymaster's Lady" by Joanna Bourne, and quite enjoyed it. It is her first title, but she has another release coming out soon. Strong, intelligent heroine, great writing style.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
peajay



Joined: 12 Apr 2007
Posts: 45

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:
If you haven't read it yet, you might want to try Private Arrangements by Sherry Thomas. Gigi, the heroine, may not be to everyone's taste, but she definitely doesn't blush and stutter.

No this one is a stranger to me. I will hunt it down and read it.

Quote:
If you Deceive by Kresley Cole - though it's the third in a trilogy, I think it also stands alone fairly well, and the heroine is pretty self-possesed.

I tried a paranormal KC once briefly that didn't do much for me. I will try again.

Quote:
I also think Helene in Liz Carlyle's Beauty Like the Night might work for you, though that one's not a new release.

I've read several LCs and several of those I really enjoyed, like The Devil to Pay, Three Little Secrets, and A Woman of Virtue. Others like One Little Sin, and No True Gentleman, I just couldn't get into, I'm not sure why. The one you suggested I haven't read and I haven't picked up a LC in a while. I will read it. It's a beautiful title.

Quote:
Have you read Connie Brockway's As You Desire? I would recommend her historicals very highly. Most of them received high ratings here.

I read My Dearest Enemy 3 yrs ago and had a mixed reaction. On one hand the beginning, the letters btwn h/h, were wonderful. But as soon as he arrived back in England, she seemed to become a complete klutz and that bugged me. Also, both the h/h introspection seemed to go on and on. But all the same, I've had a suspicion I need to try another CB, so I will try this one!

Quote:
Some other historical authors I've enjoyed:
Betina Krahn ('The Wife Test', 'The Husband Test', 'The Marriage Test')
Adele Ashworth (especially 'Winter Garden').

I think I read BK yrs ago before I began keeping a reading log and I can't remember anything about those. Adele Ashworth is another I tried once and need to try again. It was Duke of Sin and there was a lot of things I admired about it.

Quote:
A Rose At Midnight by Anne Stuart, Midnight Honor by Marsha Canham,Winter Garden or My Darling Caroline by Adele Ashworth, The Secret Swan by Shana Abe, Only His by Elizabeth Lowell (the hero is sort of a jerk, but she can stand up to him), Highlander Unbound by Julia London.

I've never read anything by Anne Stuart. I see her name a lot and will definitely try! Marsha Canham, I tried once and I remember having very little patience. I will try again. The Secret Swan, I loved! I thought the medieval feeling was very nice, and the heroine was strong and yet felt completely like a medieval lady. The story felt different too. Julia London I've never read. She is in my TBR Mtn! I will move her to the summit!

Quote:
Do you like medievals? If so, I recommend Elizabeth Elliott's "The Warlord" (a personal favorite) and "Scoundrel"; Julianne Garnett's "The Vow," " The Scotsman," "The Baron," and "The Laird"; Marian Edwards' "Hearts Victorious."

Yes, I love medievals and I've never tried any of the ones you listed. Thank you, I will hunt these!

Quote:
"A Christmas Bride" by Mary Balogh and some of her recent historicals, "Slightly Scandalous" and "Slightly Dangerous" in particular.

I like MB very much. I've read 5 or 6 of her newer large regencies including SD which I really enjoyed.

Quote:
"Lady Gallant" by Suzanne Robinson (Tudor England), an old favorite of mine - the heroine does start out as somewhat of a "mouse" (albeit a brave one) but turns into a veritable "dragon" (in the hero's own words).

I haven't tried this book or this author. It sounds good, and I will find it!

Quote:
Mary Jo Putney has strong heroines in her historicals:
Uncommon Vows (a medieval) - very strong and freedom loving
pretty much all heroines in the Fallen Angels series (especially in Angel Rogue - she's half Indian and very independent, there's an interesting clash with a hero who wants to protect her on her journey to London - one of my favorite books ever)

I've read just one, Shattered Rainbows and liked it very much. You're right, this heroine was very strong and she had a different and interesting problem. I think this one was part of her Fallen Angel series?? I will have to find the other ones. I'm glad you reminded me of how much I enjoyed this one.[/quote]

Quote:
Have you tried Loretta Chase's other novels? I think that you'll like Mr. Impossible and Lord Perfect, the latter fitting your requirements more closely.

Yes, I've read them all Smile My fave. Newest due out end of this month. I'll buy it that day.

Quote:
I'd recommend anything by Jo Beverley,

I've never read this author either, although I have 2 of hers in my TBR avalanche. I suspect I will like them, thank you for reminding me!

Quote:
Have you tried Judith Ivory (who also writes under the name Judy Cuevas)? Particularly Sleeping Beauty or Untie My Heart.
Lisa Kleypas' Then Came You and Laura Kinsale's The Prince of Midnight also have strong heroines.

Never tried JI or LisaK, but I will try the ones you listed! Thanks! LauraK ... I read My Sweet Folly a year ago and loved the first 2/3. The ending was a shocking experience though. I don't think I've gotten over it yet.

Quote:
I recently read " The Spymaster's Lady" by Joanna Bourne, and quite enjoyed it. It is her first title, but she has another release coming out soon. Strong, intelligent heroine, great writing style

Haven't read of heard of! It sounds great, I will hunt it down.

Thank you all very much. I truly appreciate the possibilities!

PJ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dlandros



Joined: 13 Dec 2007
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend several by Lisa Kleypas which have strong women:
Suddenly you
It happened one autumn
Lady Sophia's lover

Then, there's one by Laura Lee Gurhke 'And then he kissed her.' She's kind of a mousy woman (although never shy with the hero) who finds herself as the book progresses. This is one of my favorites.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kspears



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Posts: 376

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Jo Putney's The Rake...love that one...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
becky d



Joined: 24 Mar 2007
Posts: 114
Location: Baton Rouge

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: historical recs / strong heroines Reply with quote

sorry this is late; both of Jennifer Donnelly's historicals have very strong heroines who survive problem after problem. The setting is Victorian London - America - South Africa. This is a new author but the stories are excellent, IMO:

The Tea Rose - first in a series; Whitechapel, London during Jack the Ripper's time.

The Winter Rose - blew me away with plot and emotional intensity. Fabulous characters. A continuation of The Tea Rose.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group