AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

McCain and the "C" Word

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guenevere

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More recently, I read an account of how McCain got angry at his wife Cindy in front of a couple of reporters (I think the incident happened maybe 10 years ago, but was apparently only recounted recently) and called her the "C" word.

Yuck.
LLB

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: I'd never heard that... Reply with quote

I'd never heard that, so I looked it up. Apparently it is recounted in a book published by a small, "progressive" press called PoliPoint. There are no "real" reviews of the book at Amazon - or elsewhere - that I can find, although on the website for the book, a snippet from US World and News Report is quoted. The author, Cliff Schecter, is listed as "a veteran campaign strategist and political commentator. Schecter is a regular contributor to the Huffington Post."

So what I am saying is that the man is not a professional journalist, that he has a particular point of view, and that the main reason you've heard about the story is that a minister must have read the book and decided to ask McCain about it in early April at a rally. At which point McCain refused to answer the question, which lead Wonkette, the Huffington Post, and other blogs to pick up the story.

Do I believe McCain has anger issues? Yes. Is he a hot-head? Probably. Did he ever say this? Here is the incident from the book itself:

Quote:
Three reporters from Arizona, on the condition of anonymity, also let me in on another incident involving McCain's intemperateness. In his 1992 Senate bid, McCain was joined on the campaign trail by his wife, Cindy, as well as campaign aide Doug Cole and consultant Wes Gullett. At one point, Cindy playfully twirled McCain's hair and said, "You're getting a little thin up there." McCain's face reddened, and he responded, "At least I don't plaster on the makeup like a trollop, you c_nt." McCain's excuse was that it had been a long day. If elected president of the United States, McCain would have many long days.

I can't say why in the world three reporters would have given that quote to the book's author on condition of anonymity rather than reporting it themselves. Or why, now that it's years later, there's no independent reporting on it. But there it is. Take it or leave it. Although I'm no McCain suppporter, I'm leaving it.
KarenS

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His hot-headedness really concerns me. People who shoot from the hip who don't think things through are people that I like to be as far away as possible from. Their impulsiveness and lack of control is frightening. They act without thought and that's the type of personality we don't need occupying the White House.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: