AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommendations for Tarzan Romances?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karen_ling17

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Recommendations for Tarzan Romances? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm looking for romances with a Tarzan/Wild Man hero. So far I've heard of Wild at Heart by Patricia Gaffney and Wild Thing by Anne Stuart. Are there any others out there??

Thanks!
blossom

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this will satisfy your criteria as it is contemporary and a bit of a paranormal romance, but it was the first thing that came to mind when I read your post.

I read Christine Feehan's Wild Rain a few years back. The heroine is running from someone in the (Amazon?) jungle when she stumbles upon the hero's treehouse/territory, he turns out to be a leopard shifter. It was not a bad read, but it seems like it should have been the start of a series, but so far not. There was one other related short story in an anthology that has been combined with the above and published under the title Fever.

Hope this helps.
KarenS

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am widely interpreting your request for Tarzan type hero as one who takes our heroine away for much needed R & R due to turmoil or extreme pressure being exerted on her. So Tarzan......um hero sorta kidnaps Jane...um heroine away on a vacation. Two of Linda Howard's stories did exactly this and your request makes me think of them. Cry No More and Tears of the Renegade hero's are concerned enough about the heroine's physical and emotional well-being to do something drastic.

Plus both of them were almost a law unto themselves who really didn't care what others thought of them which would also make them fit into the wild man mode.

Two very favorite Howard stories of mine. Must be the ending that appeals so much to me.
Mark

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added Savage Tides by Mary Mayer Holmes to a tbr stack after a similar thread some months ago. I still haven’t read it, so I don’t know how well it fits the Tarzan model.
Rosario

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild at Heart is a good one. The only other one I know is a short story in one of the Secrets anthologies (Wild for You, by Kathryn Anne Dubois, in Vol. 9). That one's very Tarzan. Only problem... it sucked, big time. So this would actually be a non-recommend, I'm afraid.
blossom

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here is another one that I am not sure fits your criteria, but was an excellent read.

The hero has been isolated from Society for a long time and is having a hard time readjusting following his return to the civilized world...of course the heroine has the gentle touch to coax the hero back to his rightful place in the world.

Beau Crusoe by Carla Kelly...this was a Harlequin Historical that you might have to pick up at the library.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Savage by Patricia Coughlin fits your requirements I think. I quite enjoyed it.
karen_ling17

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blossom,

I have got Beau Crusoe in my tbr. I love Carla Kelly- would read anything by her.

Thanks for all the other recommendations. I'm actually looking for "true" Tarzan heroes - men who have been "lost in the wild" and been away from people for a long time - whose contact with the heroine would really be their first contact with a person (for the first time on in a really long while)

Karen
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Tarzan types Reply with quote

I definitely second the recommendations for Gaffney's Wild at Heart and Kelly's Beau Crusoe. Both are excellent. Michael was lost in the wilderness as a child so he is untamed and unmannered, but at his core is probably the most civilized man in the book and one who does not know how to lie. James was an adult when his ship ran aground, so on the surface he is more a gentleman, but his heart is more damaged. Nonetheless he is a strong hero who enriches the lives of all around him. You have some good reading ahead of you.

As for Stuart's Wild Thing, I'd skip it as it's far from one of her best. Boring is the word that comes to mind.
Lynda X

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound ridiculous (well, that's never stopped me from posting before, some will say!), and it's not a book, but have you seen Disney's "Tarzan"? I personally love musicals, and although it's animated, it's a very sweet romance and a good adventure. I loved it.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read the original by Edgar Rice Burroughs? I quite enjoyed it.
Kay
karen_ling17

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynda X,

Lol, Watching the Disney Tarzan recently was what got me into wanting to read about Tarzan heroes!

Karen
LindaG

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one more: Something Wild by Kimberly Raye

I love this theme too and there's not much out there with it. I read all the ones that have been suggested so far. I personally liked the Kathryn Ann Dubois one in the Secrets anthology but wish it could have been longer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: