AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Experience does matter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbmedos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Experience does matter Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
This is not America bashing. I see my country headed in the wrong direction. You may not. We are entitled to our opinions. We need to develop a strong energy policy that weans us away from oil, we need decent health care for every American so no one is one step away from medical bankruptcy, get us out of a war that is going to bankrupt our economy if it hasn't already and improve education so that we don't rank near the bottom. This is what Obama stands for and that is why I support him.

It's funny but when I listen to McCain those are the things I hear him talking about too.

For me it's all about experience, though. Or the lack thereof, I guess. Had I had the opportunity to vote in a primary, I wouldn't have voted for Obama. There was simply a more qualified candidate.

And I don't even like her.

At all. Rolling Eyes

John Kennedy was several years younger when he became President and he had still been on the national stage for 13 years. I cannot get past the mere three years as a U.S. Senator, two of which he's been running for President.

His vision might be great but but aging it at our expense isn't always the best thing either.
KarenS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If most voters are looking for vast experience to lead our country, how in the world did we get "W'". Clearly, Gore was the more experienced and better qualified of the two. But we got "W" and the rest of history. So experience only counts so far.

Barack Obama has led an interesting and diverse life committed to public service. He graduated from Harvard Law School and served as editor of Harvard Law Review. John McCain graduated from the Naval Academy fourth from the bottom. He was a legacy just like "W" since both his father and grandfather were in the Navy.

Obama served as a community organizer, civil rights attorney and taught constitutional law. He served in the Illinois Senate from 1997 to 2004 and then was elected to the US Senate.

How much experience do you think the next President needs? McCain destroyed 5 naval aircraft(which makes him a negative ace), he divorced his first wife who had residual health issues from an auto accident and married Cindy(his present wife) a month after the divorce. Just these two things make me question McCain's judgement. McCain is also hot-headed which bothers me more than anything. I don't like people making rash judgements before hearing all the facts. Someone like him doesn't need to be making earth shattering decisions. Also, his time served in a POW camp indicates he may not be mentally fit for the job.

He has served in the US Senate since 1986 so that's the experience for which you speak. 22 years is a nice tenure but he represents the wealthy, not the middle class, he wants us to be in the war for 100 years, he keeps flip flopping on the issues and most of all, he's just going to be a continuation of the Bush presidency. So if you want the same old, same old, vote for McCain and don't expect much. Cause that's exactly what you're going to get. Experience doesn't mean anything if you don't learn from it.
LindaC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Experience does matter Reply with quote

Please don't use John Kennedy as an example of 'experience'. He was a serious partier and serial cheater on his wife. He wasn't known for any great legislation during his time in Congress. That said, I am not denigrating him or his presidency. It's just that experience only gets you so far, or nowhere.
bbmedos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it would be a lot more convincing that Obama was a bringer of change if he, his surrogates and supporters didn't constantly evoke how bad Bush was or is.

Bush isn't running.

And whether or not anyone believes McCain is going to be another term of Bush policies still doesn't help promote Obama as an agent of change in any way, shape or fashion. It only reinforces that he appears to be looking backwards, not forwards. At least every time he tosses those Bush-bashing lines to his core base at any rate, which is amazingly often. (Try counting when he doesn't. I dare you. Wink)

If the issues can't be discussed without bashing Bush, how much change is taking place? More importantly, how many middle of the road voters who are tired of hearing both sides constantly fighting and screaming at each other, of which I'm one, is Obama truly going to win over with a so-called change message?

Couple that with the lack of experience and, yes, he has a problem whether anyone wants to see it or not.

Quote:
How much experience do you think the next President needs?

Preferably more than he has, but that isn't always what we get when voters speak, is it? Still, there are mayors of large metropolitan cities, governors and, yes, even senators and representatives of long standing who are much more qualified than he is. There are probably even private industry CEOs a lot more qualified.

I'm not saying he couldn't be President and be a doggone good one but if the question is whether he's honestly the best qualified today, then it's another matter. To place Obama's record alongside McCain's and claim it's the truly more impressive, qualified one is pure partisonship spin of the highest order.

But that's okay as long as one willingly admits it and doesn't expect anyone not to see through it. Wink

Quote:
he wants us to be in the war for 100 years,

Does anyone honestly believe that someone who spent time as a POW would be the first one to send young men and women into a war or want a war to last 100 years once started as a last result? Reality check. Pul-lease. Talk about ridiculous reasoning.

When McCain made that often misunderstood comment he was not talking about the war lasting that long but military bases being left in Iraq like those we're had for, what, 50+ years in countries like in Germany and Korea. Yet I don't hear anyone screaming for those to be taken away immediately. If ever. Much less 100 years.

I'm not simply talking about the American people screaming either. There are US military bases scattered all over the world and for the most part they are welcomed by the countries they're in. How does anyone think we're able to provide quick help and/or relief whenever there's a natural or not-so-natural disaster in some far off corner of the world? Teleportation? The screaming would in all likelihood be if we decided to remove those bases because that help wouldn't so readily be there along with loss of economic income from the soldiers, too.

But I'm sure Iraq won't be interested in any of that "peace time stuff" at all. Rolling Eyes
Kass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone honestly believe that someone who spent time as a POW would be the first one to send young men and women into a war or want a war to last 100 years once started as a last result?

Yes, because that is what McCain supports, sacrificing young men's and women's lives needlessly over Iraq. Now, not every POW would do this, but he has no problem killing and maiming our young people in order to make Iraq even more of a quagmire than it is.

And that's not the kind of "experience" we need. Obama's going to keep us from wasting resources and lives in Iraq, and even if that was his only position that'd be enough to get me to vote for him.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCain can’t even manage the homes & condos he owns well enough to keep the taxes paid on them (recent local news with one in the San Diego area with years of taxes owed). That sure doesn’t sound like anyone I want trying to run a country.
bbmedos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kass wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone honestly believe that someone who spent time as a POW would be the first one to send young men and women into a war or want a war to last 100 years once started as a last result?

Yes, because that is what McCain supports, sacrificing young men's and women's lives needlessly over Iraq. Now, not every POW would do this, but he has no problem killing and maiming our young people in order to make Iraq even more of a quagmire than it is.

Considering that most truly in the know, meaning the generals on the ground, believe the situation to be won and under control how is this true?
bbmedos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
McCain canít even manage the homes & condos he owns well enough to keep the taxes paid on them (recent local news with one in the San Diego area with years of taxes owed). That sure doesnít sound like anyone I want trying to run a country.

You know, it's funny how it's okay for a young couple to make a lot a money and get ahead of the pack, way ahead of a lot of people, but not for a man's wife to have family wealth already. And you aren't going to convince me that anyone with wealth doesn't occasionally have some faulty accounting done along the way, either. That's part and parcel of having wealth at times because, the bigger it gets, the more they have to delegate managing it to others or they would be doing nothing else. Certainly not running for President.

Look, we could sit here and nitpick all day about anything and everything you want to find wrong with McCain and I'll even admit he has some major faults but it still doesn't give Obama any more experience, people.

It is a weakness that could very well cost him the election.

Or it might not. Just depends.
SH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NT

Last edited by SH on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Considering that most truly in the know, meaning the generals on the ground, believe the situation to be won and under control how is this true?

Considering those generals were picked to mindlessly agree with President Bush and his stupid useless war, how would you expect an honest assessment from them? Are you blind?

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: