AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American Idol
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: American Idol Reply with quote

Is anyone watching Idol this season? Usually I have one or tow favorites but this season there are more good ones. Anyone have a fav? I was rooting for the younger teen boy but then he forgot the words last week and just didn't seem into it.
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Kayne, I am. This is the first season that I've watched the show from the very beginning. Last year I just caught the last five or so, as they were gearing down to the end.

I think the talents in this one are extraordinary. Every one of those people are good, but obviously some more than others. Right now, any number of them could be the top winner as far as I'm concerned. The coming weeks will tell more. Here are my favorites, the top being the best in my opinion. But not that many points separate them in my book. Here goes.

David Cook (he has a voice!)
Carly Smithson (so does she!)
David Archuleta (time will sort him out)
Chikezie (he was fabulous last week!)
Jason Castro (will need to get away from the folksy songs)
Michael Johns (hmmm)
Syesha Mercado (love her voice, but I think she's even capable of better)
Amanda Overmyer (great sounding voice, but her venue choices are limited because of it, so far)
Ramiele Malubay (she was fantastic the first night--but then something happened)
Brooke White (my least favorite, but last week she performed very well)

Can you tell I'm into it? Thanks for asking. I wanted to pose the question, but I wasn't sure who else was still watching since it's been on the air for so many years. To me, it's like only the second season of it because I've never watched it before. We'll need to stay in touch to see how things go and how it all matches up to our own thoughts.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee,
Ditto - This is also my first year of watching every Idol program from the beginning.
I think that the best singers/performers still on are Cook, Smithson, Chickezie (totally blew me away last week), and White. I really enjoyed the Lennon/McCartney songs last week. I am looking forward to hearing the ones they choose tonight.
Kay
xina

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like David Cook (that guy needs a new hair cut though) and Amanda. I guess I'm always leaning toward the rocker since I don't listen to country mucic and pop music just leaves me bored. Now...Michael Johns...really good looking guy who could grace the cover of a romance novel or whatever. I guess he can sing too. Laughing
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
Tee, Ditto - This is also my first year of watching every Idol program from the beginning.

Well, Kay, this is probably as exciting for you, then, as it is for me. I guess we picked a good season because it's being said that this group is the most talented of them all.

xina wrote:
I like David Cook (that guy needs a new hair cut though) and Amanda. I guess I'm always leaning toward the rocker since I don't listen to country mucic and pop music just leaves me bored.

I enjoy pop music, xina, but I don't really listen to country either unless it's crossover and played on major stations. I agree with Cook's hair. I think something could be done a bit better with it. He doesn't seem to care, though. I love Amanda's voice, as I said previously; but her song selections appear to be limited because of the way she sings. I loved her song on the first show when she did a bit of scat. She has a great attitude. I'm anxious for tonight's renditions.
Yulie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching regularly since season 4, though I usually lose interest when it's down to the final five or six. We get each show the day after it's on in the US and obviously can't vote. My take on the top 11, taking into account I did not watch them perform this week yet and in no particular order:
David A. - he has a good voice but for whatever reason I'm not a fan.
David C. - I like him, he seems to be very smart about song choice and arrangements.
Brooke - I started out not liking her but she has really grown on me. I like that she doesn't feel the need to add pointless vocal runs just to show off.
Carly - great voice and vocal control but I can't seem to connect with her performances.
Jason - I really like him.
Michael - I really like to look at him Very Happy .
Syesha - don't like her, I think she tends to shout her songs.
Kristy Lee - clearly out of her depth.
Ramielle - Boring. Even her Dusty Springfield cover in week one of the semis wasn't that impressive to me; Nadia Turner turned in a much better performance of the same song in season 4.
Amanda - one dimensional and her voice isn't that good. But she's different, which I guess works in her favor.
Chikeze - I liked him in the top 12, I think he's got talent but needs to be smarter about song choice; he was lucky to get out of the semifinals. Hopefully he's in the right direction now.

Overall my favorites are Brooke, David C. and Jason. I don't think this is the most talent group ever, but of the seasons I've watched, this seems to be the one with the fewest weak contestants at this stage. Does that make sense?

I think AI tends to get a bad rap from people who've never really tried it. Rather like romance novels! But I like both. I hate Israeli Idol, though; it's called A Star is Born and is completely awful. It's not the contsestants' fault - it's just a screwed-up format here. Israeli Survivor is even worse.
cheri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I love this show. I've watched since the first season when Kelly Clarkston won. This season, I'm just liking it. I did't like the last two weeks of Beatles. I'm not a Beatles fan at all(I know, stone me now!) so I've barely watched the last two weeks. I never watch the elimination show on day 2 either. But here are my favs so far this year.

David A - love this kid
Brooke- really like her too
David C- he can rock
Chakizee- I love his soulfulness when he sings it
Amanda- I can't figure out how she got this far,honestly
Kristi- someone else said it best, out of her league
Carly- she's already had a cd so I personally think she shouldn't win and she bugs me in an unexplainable way.
Ramielle- not good enough IMO
Jason- I get why the girls love him. I think he's ok in a safe way when he sings and I did LOVE his performance right b4 the Beatles, the Leaonard Cohen song.
Micheal- ok and yes very nice to look at Very Happy not the best by any means.
Syesha- overly dramatic, would probably be great on broadway but this is American Idol.
Looking forward to next week when they won't be singing Beatles tunes! cheri
xina

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
Normally I love this show. I've watched since the first season when Kelly Clarkston won. This season, I'm just liking it. I did't like the last two weeks of Beatles. I'm not a Beatles fan at all(I know, stone me now!) so I've barely watched the last two weeks. I never watch the elimination show on day 2 either. But here are my favs so far this year.

David A - love this kid
Brooke- really like her too
David C- he can rock
Chakizee- I love his soulfulness when he sings it
Amanda- I can't figure out how she got this far,honestly
Kristi- someone else said it best, out of her league
Carly- she's already had a cd so I personally think she shouldn't win and she bugs me in an unexplainable way.
Ramielle- not good enough IMO
Jason- I get why the girls love him. I think he's ok in a safe way when he sings and I did LOVE his performance right b4 the Beatles, the Leaonard Cohen song.
Micheal- ok and yes very nice to look at Very Happy not the best by any means.
Syesha- overly dramatic, would probably be great on broadway but this is American Idol.
Looking forward to next week when they won't be singing Beatles tunes! cheri

I'm not a huge Beatles fan, but really like some of their songs. Yesteray, Blackbird....I thought Amanda or David Cook might sing Hey Jude, but thinking about it now, it's a long song...hard to fit in a 15 minutes song into the 2 minute limit they have. The rendition of Blackbird was horrible and I usually like her singing. The wide blue eyes during part of the song was scary rather than sultry. And Michael Johns singing Eleanor Rigby??? Why??? Why pick that one out of allllllll the songs the Beatles wrote? Ah well, he's cute, hot and adorable. I could watch him and turn the sound off and love him anyway.
Donna Lea Simpson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the people who can't figure out why they either don't like or can't connect with Carly. What is it? I just can't figure it out. She's got a good voice, sings well, is consistent, and seems to be a nice girl, but... meh. And last night, Blackbird? Yikes. She should have listened to the Sarah McLachlan version.

I love that song, but she seemed to try to make it rocky, and it just didn't work for me. I would have like to hear Brook White sing that song. It's funny, Brook doesn't have the best voice there, but I really like her.

Among the fellows... David A., Jason Castro and Chikezie are my favorites.

http://www.donnaleasimpson.com
Kayne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Idol Reply with quote

Last night was a disapointment. I look forward to hearing them do whatever song they want without a theme. They just didn't seem into the songs last night and it was hard to watch.

I wonder what the theme is next week? Chikeze had done such a fun performance last week and this week there didn't seem to be a really oustanding song.

Is David Cook the one who's thing he wanted everyone to know about himself (a few weeks ago) is that he like's doing crosswords? I like doing crosswords too but I thought he could have found something more interesting to share and I thought that hurt his popularity. At least Amanda is a reader! I was wishing Michael would have done Get Back instead of A Day in the Life.

I think its time for Katie to go. She has a pretty voice but she's had plenty of chances and hasn't performed well yet. I was wondering if the guy last week got bumped because he had some risque photos surface.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't enjoyed this season very much at all and I think it's because of the themes: 60s week, 70s week, the Beatles. I was born in 71 and musically I feel most attached to the 80s. But 60s and 70s music is mostly a miss for me...including The Beatles.

The themes are totally killing my joy this season.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night was disappointing for me as well. They just did not choose the song most suited to each one's voice/style; except maybe for Syesha--I thought that her rendition of Yesterday was the best performance last night.
I think that it was a mistake to do the Beatles' music two weeks in a row. The contestants need more variety in the choices. Conversely, maybe fewer possibilities might make it easier to make the best choice. Do they ever all sing the same song?

Kay
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
Do they ever all sing the same song?

Kay

I've never seen them do that, but on Nigel Lithgow's OTHER show -- So You Think You Can Dance -- they do. Last year they had them all learn choreography to this one song...the same choreography for everyone. They wore the same costumes and they came out one at a time and performed the dance. The the judges got it -- the commented on the technical skill of some dancers, on the hopefulness of others...the mood being imparted. As a viewer, I thought it was great because the playing field for all the constestants was even.
cheri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:
KayWebbHarrison wrote:
Do they ever all sing the same song?

Kay

I've never seen them do that, but on Nigel Lithgow's OTHER show -- So You Think You Can Dance -- they do. Last year they had them all learn choreography to this one song...the same choreography for everyone. They wore the same costumes and they came out one at a time and performed the dance. The the judges got it -- the commented on the technical skill of some dancers, on the hopefulness of others...the mood being imparted. As a viewer, I thought it was great because the playing field for all the constestants was even.

I love this show and I loved when they did this. It was a John Mayer song. You really could see the differences. That would be great if they did that for AI. Then we really could see for ourselves. And I'm a 71 baby too, I normally love 60's music but I've hated all the themes this year too. cheri
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all of you about yesterday's show. It was a major disappointment. Although I enjoyed Cook's, Smithson's and Archuleta's songs, only one appeared to be a hit with the judges. Beatles were great songwriters, but we needed a break from them.

Kristy will be the one to go tonight, I feel. I like her bubbly personality, but her singing style doesn't work for me. I'll be very surprised if it isn't her who's been chosen to leave.

Added info following tonight's show. I was surprised Amanda was the one to go and not Kristy. But it makes sense, since I believe it was inevitable that she would leave eventually, if only because she was so limited in the kinds of songs she sang.

Last edited by Tee on Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 1 of 27

Jump to: