AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joanna Bourne - The Spymaster's Lady
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Annique's age Reply with quote

There's a mention during the "Robert Fordham" journey from the coast to London that Annique estimated him to be about ten years younger than she had thought Grey was while she was blind. Therefore, if her first guess was late 30s, the actuality would be about ten years younger.

Tee wrote:
msaggie wrote:
I think somewhere in Joanna Bourne's blog, she mentions Annique's age

Annique's age is 19, which is mentioned a couple times thru the book.

However, I couldn't get a grasp on Grey's age. I think one time it was mentioned that Annique thought him to be late 30s, but I'm not sure of that. Did anyone else pick up on something that was more accurate? It doesn't make much difference to me other than just curiosity.
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Annique's age Reply with quote

veasleyd1 wrote:
There's a mention during the "Robert Fordham" journey from the coast to London that Annique estimated him to be about ten years younger than she had thought Grey was while she was blind. Therefore, if her first guess was late 30s, the actuality would be about ten years younger.

Thanks, veasleyd1. Now you've got me going. I'm going to have to try to find the passage where she estimated his age, which, I believe, was when she was still dealing with her challenge (how's that for sidestepping a spoiler?).
msaggie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Annique's age Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
veasleyd1 wrote:

Thanks, veasleyd1. Now you've got me going. I'm going to have to try to find the passage where she estimated his age, which, I believe, was when she was still dealing with her challenge (how's that for sidestepping a spoiler?).
Joanna Bourke is a guest at Julia Quiinn and Eloisa James' bulletin board for this month, and she talks about why she chose to have a 19 year old Annique (rather than 23, etc). And she gives Grey's age as 30. I will try to link it here - http://eloisajames.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=4489&start=15 - it's very interesting - and she's writing Maggie and Doyle's story (set during the Terror) before Adrian's. Looking forward to it!
Elle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: The Spymaster's Lady Reply with quote

I also really enjoyed this book, particularly the heroine. I am glad that I waited until I finished reading the story before looking at this thread, since, IMO, there are some spoilers revealed in it that are not well labeled. I agree with msaggie that these details were more fun to discover on one's own when reading the book.

Annique, particularly in the first section of the story, is a fabulous heroine--clever, competent, and resourceful. I really loved her, even though at times she almost seemed to straying towards Mary Sue territory. (There was almost nothing this girl could not do, no matter what the obstacles!) But I so enjoyed the way that she thought and spoke, and the way that she looked at the world, that I brushed aside any problems that I had with how realistic/unrealistic the story details might be. It was truly a fun story.

I will confess that I was a little disappointed that Annique seemed to be become more of a standard issue romance heroine in the second half of the story, but overall I still really think that this book lives up to its hype.
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Annique's age Reply with quote

msaggie wrote:
...and she talks about why she chose to have a 19 year old Annique (rather than 23, etc). And she gives Grey's age as 30.

Thanks, msaggie. I guess our deductions were fairly right-on. But it was good to see it in print as to what ages the author felt them to be.
roseisa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one am looking forward to Maggie, Doyles and Adrian's stories.......aw so little time so many books to read! Wink
cheri

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so I finally made myself finish it, I've been trying to drag this out at much as possible. This book was better than any adventure movie I've ever seen. I can't wait for the next story. I'm a little bummed that no matter what book I pick up it's not going to compare. I loved how detailed everything was, I know the author did this because of the heroine but it was wonderful to be so alert with the senses of the character's, be it the sight, the touch, the smell, etc. I really feel like I was there and talking French and German to boot. haha. a DIK for sure. I should be so lucky. I plan on giving it to my sister and then rereading it when she gives it back. I'm so happy I bought it instead of getting from the library, I don't have to worry about giving it back. cheri
Diana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm home with a cold so I did read it twice. Where has Bourne been? Her voice is so confident and mature. To quote Jullia Quinn "love love LOVED it!"
cheri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention the cover art when I posted earlier. I have to say I really tried not to look at it. The author made every attempt to describe Grey( whom I adored) as Large and NOT HANDSOME. The fishing sweater really did it for me. I had no problem picturing him and liking him as a NOT HANDSOME man. Why they decided to draw that picture is beyond me. I much rather leave it to my imagination. Very Happy cheri
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
I forgot to mention the cover art when I posted earlier.

I think a couple of people did comment on the cover, cheri. It was a horrible one and it definitely did not depict the entertaining story inside. Shame on the person who didn't bother to read the contents, but decided just the same how the cover would look. Quite frankly, I buy only a few books a year. I was almost ashamed to take this one up to the cashier. Luckily, I was able to go thru the express lanes and check it out myself.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:

I was almost ashamed to take this one up to the cashier. Luckily, I was able to go thru the express lanes and check it out myself.

LOLOL I confess I was very happy when my library installed those self-checkout pads that tally up your books when you place them on the platform. I still put most of the romances face down, though.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
Tee wrote:

I was almost ashamed to take this one up to the cashier. Luckily, I was able to go thru the express lanes and check it out myself.

LOLOL I confess I was very happy when my library installed those self-checkout pads that tally up your books when you place them on the platform. I still put most of the romances face down, though.

Me too....I love the self check-out! Although, I remember one time when I was having trouble with it and a librarian raced over to help me. The cover was one of those torso shots Rolling Eyes . She was pretty quick grabbing the book, but I grabbed it back and said (with a smile on my face) Thanks so much, but I think I've got it! Thankfully, the machine then decided to work and I got the cover face down too. She looked a little bewildered and I felt really silly. *sigh*
cheri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mom also reads romance and this year for xmas she gave me a padded fabric cover that goes over the book with a bookmark attached. She bought it at a craft sale and it has embrodered on the front "Naughty, Naughty Novel". Very Happy I only read at home but thought it was cute and I like it. cheri
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if the big chain bookstores have caught on to this yet, but you can buy non-see through bookcovers -- both cloth and vinyl/plastic (or whatever the material is) -- via a couple of sites on the web. The covers come in both paperback size as well as a size for the regular hardbacks or larger paperbacks. They come in handy not only for concealing embarrassing covers, but, in actuality, I have found them useful for protecting my books since I cart them around in a backpack and am always slipping them in and out of pocketbooks and bags. Plus, the accidental coffee/soft drink spills or unexpected rainy weather.

Anyway, I don't feel like a ninny for using them because I justify it through my honest anal retentiveness regarding keeping my books as spic and span as possible.
Em

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have used a floral little book cover that I found at a craft sale years ago, precisely for books that have cheesy covers like The Spymaster's Lady.
It has annoyed me no end over the years that I feel constrained to cover some of my reading material, but publishers continue to produce those "-half-naked hunk-slobbering over-heaving bosom-flowing hair babe" covers, despite comments such as those on this thread.

In reaction, I feel I have to cover these books or be prepared for smirks from people who see you buying or reading them. Sigh. I know this is an on-going discussion in Romancelandia, but my little book-cover is my personal solution. Works for me! And you are right, I see similar covers for sale in the big chains.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: