AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
Jobs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
georgie Lee



Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 110

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Job Reply with quote

I wish I had Rick Steve's or Samantha Brown's job. I'd love to get paid to travel in Europe.
_________________
Georgie Lee
Lady's Wager - Available 1/3/2008 from Cerridwen Press
http://georgielee.blogspot.com/
www.georgie-lee.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Gail K.



Joined: 19 May 2007
Posts: 1292

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikki wrote:

also, would like to start a charter school for kids in underserved communities. now THAT would be the bomb.


If you're ever in L.A., nikki, you're welcome to visit my new workplace - a charter school for low-income, teenage moms. I'm the special ed/ independent studies coordinator and also work at the affiliated residential treatment center. It's a good combo of my health and education backgrounds. Lots of adorable babies and tots to play with! Seriously cuts down on my online posting time though. Confused

-Gail, finally off to find another seasonal avatar...


Last edited by Gail K. on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Skwright



Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RN, BSN, ONC (certified ortho nurse) orthopedics/neurology/trauma floor 36-40 beds, Charge nurse 7P-7A (can I get any more specific). Most of the time I like my job. I agree with an earlier post about more staff. I'd like my job more if Ihad at least the staffing we were allowed to have. Getting nurses to work nights is tough. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
desiderata



Joined: 23 Oct 2007
Posts: 226

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a prosecutor. I spent 12 years prosecuting child abuse cases and then it was time to move on. I currently train other prosecutors and carry a small caseload of felonies where the victims are adults.

I'm also a mom, and I agree with the others that FT SAHMs should NEVER discount what they do.

My dream job ... personal trainer. I love fitness and love to study it and would love to know enough and be able to teach/train others about it. However, I like my current job, have 3 children and can't even imagine going back for further education or training at this point.

dreamydeppmama, lactation consultants ROCK! Without our l.c. I would have stopped nursing my first child within weeks. Why is something supposedly so natural so difficult? With this awesome lady's support and guidance I nursed while working FT for 8 months and went on to nurse my second and third for even longer. I'm eternally grateful for her help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am back to teaching piano and violin (mostly) and work at The Gap on the weekend if they need me. Also helping my friend in her used book store from time to time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheri



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1350
Location: michigan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina, I want your jobs! As far as SAHM, I've been one for 10 years. I didn't start working until a couple years ago and it's VERY part time. I would kill for a more permanent spot with more hours at school but since my main job is a SAHM that comes first and is way more important than a paying job. My kid is only going to be little once and it's these years that establish how he will turn out. I made that decision when I was pregnant and haven't wavered since. It is the BEST job in the world and even though I would love to get paid for 40 hrs a week, kisses and hugs as payment aren't too bad either. I know I only have a couple more years to do it so it's worth it especially when I go for a teacher conference and I get an all good report. And so Margaret, I would never call our job BORING. It isn't and just remember, your kids are so worth that boredom you feel. Very Happy cheri
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
xina, I want your jobs! As far as SAHM, I've been one for 10 years. I didn't start working until a couple years ago and it's VERY part time. I would kill for a more permanent spot with more hours at school but since my main job is a SAHM that comes first and is way more important than a paying job. My kid is only going to be little once and it's these years that establish how he will turn out. I made that decision when I was pregnant and haven't wavered since. It is the BEST job in the world and even though I would love to get paid for 40 hrs a week, kisses and hugs as payment aren't too bad either. I know I only have a couple more years to do it so it's worth it especially when I go for a teacher conference and I get an all good report. And so Margaret, I would never call our job BORING. It isn't and just remember, your kids are so worth that boredom you feel. Very Happy cheri



I agree cheri. I was SAHM too and loved every minute of it. I used to volunteer a lot at school all the way through middle school and got to know many of the kids that way. It was fun and I think a mom is privleged to be able to stay at home with her children. It is a gift to the child and the parent. I know it's a worn out phrase, but those years really do fly by and then they are gone. So enjoy yourself. I loved it.
As for me, I teach piano at home and violin in a studio, but have just gotten back into it. I was pretty much staying home taking care of dogs and letting workmen in to repair and fix things. Now, almost everything is done, and my daughter is in college. As for The Gap...I was in there so much, they offered me a job. Kind of sad, but I took it and I at least know the product and get a nice discount... Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gail K.



Joined: 19 May 2007
Posts: 1292

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina, I was just going to ask about Gap discounts Wink

I think being a SAHM is very important as well. I deal with youth all the time who have grown up with a profound lack of family, values, and opportunities and the damage is oftentimes irreversible. The best thing an adult can do for the world when choosing to procreate is to make sure their offspring have the appropriate guidance.

-Gail
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Margaret



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 880

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
your kids are so worth that boredom you feel


Quote:
I'm also a mom, and I agree with the others that FT SAHMs should NEVER discount what they do.


My comment about boring was not meant in that way...I'm not bored. I was smiling as I typed it. Very Happy However, it's not exactly extreme sports...then again I remember trying to get an active infant into a diaper, or a toddler into a snowsuit. Very Happy I value and love what I do, otherwise I would look at other options. Society for the most part still doesn't value SAHM's...my in-laws included. That's okay, it's what works for me and my husband.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheri



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1350
Location: michigan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
Quote:
your kids are so worth that boredom you feel


Quote:
I'm also a mom, and I agree with the others that FT SAHMs should NEVER discount what they do.


My comment about boring was not meant in that way...I'm not bored. I was smiling as I typed it. Very Happy However, it's not exactly extreme sports...then again I remember trying to get an active infant into a diaper, or a toddler into a snowsuit. Very Happy I value and love what I do, otherwise I would look at other options. Society for the most part still doesn't value SAHM's...my in-laws included. That's okay, it's what works for me and my husband.


Oh yes I can remember the days of chasing them around to get them into something. I really miss the baby/diaper stage. The first time they coo at you is phenomonal(sp?)nothing is better! Very Happy How old are they? Mine is now 10 Crying or Very sad . He was so excited about the double digits meanwhile I was thinking, where has my baby gone? cheri
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheri



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1350
Location: michigan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
cheri wrote:
xina, I want your jobs! As far as SAHM, I've been one for 10 years. I didn't start working until a couple years ago and it's VERY part time. I would kill for a more permanent spot with more hours at school but since my main job is a SAHM that comes first and is way more important than a paying job. My kid is only going to be little once and it's these years that establish how he will turn out. I made that decision when I was pregnant and haven't wavered since. It is the BEST job in the world and even though I would love to get paid for 40 hrs a week, kisses and hugs as payment aren't too bad either. I know I only have a couple more years to do it so it's worth it especially when I go for a teacher conference and I get an all good report. And so Margaret, I would never call our job BORING. It isn't and just remember, your kids are so worth that boredom you feel. Very Happy cheri


I agree cheri. I was SAHM too and loved every minute of it. I used to volunteer a lot at school all the way through middle school and got to know many of the kids that way. It was fun and I think a mom is privleged to be able to stay at home with her children. It is a gift to the child and the parent. I know it's a worn out phrase, but those years really do fly by and then they are gone. So enjoy yourself. I loved it.
As for me, I teach piano at home and violin in a studio, but have just gotten back into it. I was pretty much staying home taking care of dogs and letting workmen in to repair and fix things. Now, almost everything is done, and my daughter is in college. As for The Gap...I was in there so much, they offered me a job. Kind of sad, but I took it and I at least know the product and get a nice discount... Laughing



xina, That is how I got my job by volunteering so much thaey finally asked if I would be interested in picking up a few hours actually getting paid. YES. I still volunteer all the time though. cheri
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail K. wrote:
xina, I was just going to ask about Gap discounts Wink

I think being a SAHM is very important as well. I deal with youth all the time who have grown up with a profound lack of family, values, and opportunities and the damage is oftentimes irreversible. The best thing an adult can do for the world when choosing to procreate is to make sure their offspring have the appropriate guidance.

-Gail



Gail,Yes, the discount is great! I just ordered 4 sweaters online (they aren't in our store) and paid about 38.00 for al 4. I had coupons too from using my Gap card (I get double points) and also had a random coupon for 15% off. I've got to say that even without an employee discount there is always a way to get discounts at The Gap. Just going to the website after a purchase gives you 15% off your next purchase. Here I am rambling on and on.....Oh...and the jeans. Love the jeans. Laughing xina
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking, where has my baby gone? cheri[/quote]


Well, wait until they hit 20...then you will really wonder. Of course, after going through them learning to drive, dating, curfews, high school, graduation, college entrance you are more than ready to accept...The Baby Is Gone. Oh...you have some fun years ahead. *evil laugh* xina
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheri



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1350
Location: michigan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I was thinking, where has my baby gone? cheri



Well, wait until they hit 20...then you will really wonder. Of course, after going through them learning to drive, dating, curfews, high school, graduation, college entrance you are more than ready to accept...The Baby Is Gone. Oh...you have some fun years ahead. *evil laugh* xina[/quote]

My hubby has an older child that was 2 when we got together, he is now one month short of 18 so i know all about that period of time. We've nicknamed him Drama Rolling Eyes . the other day we asked him where he had been the night B4 and we got the mumbled answer that goes along with every teenagers vocabulary. I said to my husband, "How is it he thinks he knows EVERYTHING right now but can't answer ONE single question?" at least coherently anyway. No not looking forward to that from my little one. cheri
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Audrey



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 194
Location: Alberta, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a SAHG (OMG, that's true in several different ways!), caring for our nine month old granddaughter while her parents work shift work. We said we'd do it for awhile so the kids can get ahead a bit, get a down payment together, that sort of thing. Loving it, but very tiring as she's a real go-getter.

I stopped working about five years ago but I used to be an office worker, mostly in accounting, but sometimes standard secretarial. I enjoyed the work, but some of the workplaces were less than terrific to work at. So much depends on the people you work with, doesn't it?

Dream job - writer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group