AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheri

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Jobs? Reply with quote

Just another general topic question.
What is you job? your career? etc.
And if you don't work OR hate your job, what would be your dream job?

Mine:
I work part time at my kid's school right up the road. I'm an aide working in the lunchroom, recess and in the special needs room. I love it. It lets me work around my kid and I have the same vacations including summer Very Happy . cheri

Dream job? A dancer, las vegas showgirl, dance instrustor, any of the those.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Jobs Reply with quote

I'm so very conventional. I work in a large financial services firm with people who write complex models to predict interest rates, the economy, etc. I actually love my job because my co-workers are not just smart but they're very nice. Unlike them, I don't have a PhD in economics or statistics (I've got an MBA), but most of them started out to become professors so are quite willing to answer any questions I may have, even though I usually have to stop them early on when I've reached the limit of my ability to understand what they're saying. It's very different from when I worked in the Marketing Division of another company, where the sales reps hated answering questions or doing anything that would take time away from earning their huge bonuses.

Dream job: Again, very conventional. I regret not getting a JD/MBA and doing antitrust law. For whatever reason, the combination of the economic analysis and the theoretical legal aspects appeal to me. Or my other dream job would have been to pursue my undergraduate major of Latin American history into grad school and got a job at someplace like the InterAmerican Development Bank. I'm just a policy person at heart, trapped in a Big Business world. Maybe it's because I've absolutely no other talents.
Nana

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach Middle School Social Studies. I like teaching and I like the kids, but I have to say my dream is to go back to school - first get a master's in military history (my undergrad field) and then a history PhD. Ultimately I'd like to be a professor - or a romance novelist, if the 180 pages on my laptop ever turns into anything.
Margaret

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm completely boring...currently SAHM, former Developmental Services. Would love to provide foster care for kids with disabilities or kids 'at risk'.
Marcella

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done lots of different things in the past 20 years - Computer System Administrator, Office Manager, Bookkeeper, Editor, Ghost-Writer - but at the moment I am working from my own home as a translator (English-Dutch, Dutch-English, Danish-English).

I enjoy it a lot because I can choose my own hours and, for the past year or so, I've mainly translated romantic books (historicals and romantic suspense). I actually get paid to read books!

Almost as good as my dream job... writing them.

Shelfari: http://www.shelfari.com/o1517877219
Marcella

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
I'm completely boring...currently SAHM, former Developmental Services.

Sorry, I always thought that was one of the toughest jobs around? Not to mention important...

Shelfari: http://www.shelfari.com/o1517877219
kris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a nurse in an adult ICU. We get it all: surgeries,traumas, burns, OD's.
My dream job (even after 20 years of this) is still being a nurse but with much better staffing Smile And that will never happen.
Yulie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a researcher - not a very senior one, owing to the lack of a PhD (maybe in the future). I generally like my job - lots of variety because there are always different projects going on, plus I get to edit and write, which I enjoy.

Dream job - not sure, but I'd love to do other types of writing. I've written two books (shown to a select few Wink ) so I know that creative writing is something I enjoy. Not sure I'm good enough to try and make a living out of it, though.

Kris wrote:
My dream job (even after 20 years of this) is still being a nurse but with much better staffing. And that will never happen.
We've had similar issues in Israel, and I have a lot of respect for the medical staff that puts in so much effort and energy to make sure the standard of care remains good.
sula

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've spent the majority of my life in other countries and transitioning back and forth between diverse cultures and languages, I never stay in one job (or one country) for too long. Right now I coordinate recruitment and admissions for international students at a small private university. The best part of my job is being able to travel to other countries on occasion and also to be able to help a student navigate the complexity of paperwork involved in becoming a university student...meeting them when they finally arrive after months of email and phone calls is pretty cool. Even better is seeing them on campus interacting, speaking better English, becoming involved in activities, etc. Since our school has a large community of performing arts, it's really special to be able to go to my students recitals and concerts. I feel so proud...almost like a parent. lol.

I'm working on my MBA and would like to go back to the developing world and do something useful. Not sure what that will look like yet, but we'll see. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ereine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to think of myself as a freelance graphic designer, it seems better than "unemployed and having difficult job finding a job apart from temporary freelance things". I'm not really able to support myself through, but maybe one day.

My dream job is freelance graphic design but with enough clients so I could make a living out of it. I have applied for jobs in advertising agencies but know that I would be terrible at it (but at least then I would make some money), I prefer book designing and things like that. I enjoy working from home, I wouldn't mind sharing an office with someone either. I like how varied my work is, this year I've done things involved with Bollywood films, hunting dogs and a small Fenno-Ugric language for example. And I don't see myself as an artist, I much prefer fulfilling a brief.
lijakaca

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a finance analyst at a big bank, it's okay, I get to do some interesting analysis and my coworkers are very nice. BUT, I wish it was more flexible - even though my company is pretty flexible for this industry, I really wish I could work from home and have different hours. If I had a family or medical problem, I could, but since I have no external excuses, it wouldn't look good. Sad Sometimes I think I should change jobs just to get the schedule I dream of.

My dream job would be translating manga or being a videogame journalist Smile Maybe after I pay off my mortgage in 20 years...
Rosario

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm a full-time student, after 8 years in the workforce. I've taken a year off from my job as an economist for the Uruguayan government (where I basically did economic analysis and worked on trade negotiations), and moved to the UK to get a master's degree in International Economics.

Dream job? Something exactly like my job back in Uruguay, but with a decent paycheck!
LeeB.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a legal assistant.

Dream job: Tour guide in Europe.
nikki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
I'm completely boring...currently SAHM, former Developmental Services. Would love to provide foster care for kids with disabilities or kids 'at risk'.

dang, you've got the hardest job in the WORLD. i'm dead serious about that.

as for me, i'm a systems administrator at a university. love the gig, loathe a few of the people.

dream gig? writer of course. also, would like to start a charter school for kids in underserved communities. now THAT would be the bomb.

my blog (do not click if you're easily offended)
Dreamydeppmama

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a board certified lactation consultant.

After my children are all grown, I will go to midwifery school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: