AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lisa Marie Rice's THE ITALIAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynda X

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Lisa Marie Rice's THE ITALIAN Reply with quote

Lisa Marie Rice has a new book, THE ITALIAN. If you like her, you'd like this one, except. . . it's not perfect. I don't understand how I can accept her h&h having sex, usually within the first or second meeting, and yet, again and again, I do. Usually, this development annoys me in books, making the whole interlude seem tawdry and the characters seem boring. THE ITALIAN is about a judge who is trying to bring down a drug or Mafia (can't remember) crime lord for years. If you know about Italy, you probably know that the Mafia has assassinated a number of judges in real life, so in this book, the security is EXTREMELY tight for this man who has virtually given up his life to get this guy.

Unlike some of Rice's other novels with baddies, there's not a lot of coverage of the baddie and thankfully, no torture scenes. The major drawback is Rice's propensity of ending the novel very abruptly. Since she has in the past received major criticism for this, I don't understand why she doesn't include some sort of epilogue. I mean, how hard is it to write three more pages?

Bottom line: if you like LMR and are not annoyed at her recycling of characters, etc., you'd like this book. I did--with reservations.

My grade (since I still like LMR): B.
dorothy99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip..... I like Lisa Marie Rice books, but when I looked at this on amazon, I thought the cover was the oddest, most disturbing thing I'd ever seen! What is with those eyes at the top?
Kayne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lisa Marie Rice's THE ITALIAN Reply with quote

Lynda X wrote:
Lisa Marie Rice has a new book, THE ITALIAN.

The major drawback is Rice's propensity of ending the novel very abruptly. Since she has in the past received major criticism for this, I don't understand why she doesn't include some sort of epilogue. I mean, how hard is it to write three more pages?

Bottom line: if you like LMR and are not annoyed at her recycling of characters, etc., you'd like this book. I did--with reservations.

My grade (since I still like LMR): B.

I enjoyed this story and wasn't aware of it until I saw it mentioned here. You mentioned an epilogue would have helped and I agree. It made me think that she had written and epilogue facetiously for one of her novels, I don't remember which, and I might have found it at her website. Anyone else remember this? Anyways, thanks again for the rec.
Trish B

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Lisa Marie Rice's THE ITALIAN Reply with quote

Kayne wrote:

I enjoyed this story and wasn't aware of it until I saw it mentioned here. You mentioned an epilogue would have helped and I agree. It made me think that she had written and epilogue facetiously for one of her novels, I don't remember which, and I might have found it at her website. Anyone else remember this? Anyways, thanks again for the rec.

I believe it was Dangerous Lover that she wrote an epilogue for. But I just found out that she has also done a e-novella for this book also titled Hot Secrets and it takes place a year after Jack and Caroline's HEA in DL.

Looks like LMR has also written an e-novella for Dangerous Passion about Drake and Grace's life after DP. I think its titled Reckless Nights. I may have to check them both (and The Italian) out!
PeggyL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lisa Marie Rice's THE ITALIAN Reply with quote

Kayne wrote:
It made me think that she had written and epilogue facetiously for one of her novels

That would be Dangerous Lover -- I remember I had to actually print that epilogue out, cut it to the "right" size and tuck it in the book. Oh, those years I was so anxious to wait for/read her books. Of course, now it's history.

In regard to The Italian, I was wondering if it was an earlier book published by Ellora's Cave? I would give it a B also.
tazzie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Italian is an earlier re-issued book by LMR. Reckless Night and Hot Secrets are two follow-up novellas from her Dangerous Trilogy. Heart of Danger is her latest book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: