AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Erin Morgenstern's "The Night Circus"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Erin Morgenstern's "The Night Circus" Reply with quote

My reaction to Morgenstern's The Night Circus was very different and much more positive than Jean's. I loved the characters and the voice and found the story compelling. The author drew me in, and I read with bated breath as Celia and Marco gradually unravelled the mystery of their relationship, of the circus, and of magic itself. Their journey to the discovery that love is the greatest magic of all was quite wonderful. Like Jean, I also liked many of the secondary characters and thought they added to the richness of the book. The book is definitely not a Romance, although it contains several love stories of different sorts.

I certainly agree that I'd love to see a movie made of the book.
Jean Wan AAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial reaction, towards the beginning, was like yours, Susan/DC, although more muted. It's when as I finished the book and started thinking about it that the problems crept in, and vague dissatisfactions turned into actual problems. I know a lot of people really loved this book, and I wanted to. But I guess it's just not my cuppa.
SusanS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: The Night Circus Reply with quote

I agree with Jean - eagerly read the book due to all of the hype and found myself strangely unmoved. Beautiful writing and an intriguing plot, but Celia and Marco never came alive for me.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those very rare occasions where I part ways with Susan/DC. I got an advance copy of this book from Amazon Vine and was severely unimpressed. My daughter, on the other hand, loved the book, so we went to hear Morgenstern speak at the Decatur Book Festival this summer. The author is funny and charming and a bit scattered. She told the group how The Night Circus began as a NaNoWriMo project that was mostly descriptions, but no plot. She sent it to an agent who loved the descriptions, but pointed out the need for a plot. So, she rewrote and sent it back. The agent responded by explaining more slowly why a book needs a plot. Morgenstern said Celia wasn't even in the first 3 drafts. Me, I think those weaknesses still show, but I guess it's good that Morgenstern recognizes them and jokes about them.
Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
This is one of those very rare occasions where I part ways with Susan/DC. I got an advance copy of this book from Amazon Vine and was severely unimpressed. My daughter, on the other hand, loved the book, so we went to hear Morgenstern speak at the Decatur Book Festival this summer. The author is funny and charming and a bit scattered. She told the group how The Night Circus began as a NaNoWriMo project that was mostly descriptions, but no plot. She sent it to an agent who loved the descriptions, but pointed out the need for a plot. So, she rewrote and sent it back. The agent responded by explaining more slowly why a book needs a plot. Morgenstern said Celia wasn't even in the first 3 drafts. Me, I think those weaknesses still show, but I guess it's good that Morgenstern recognizes them and jokes about them.

I want to be a Vine member<g>. Did you just have a lot of likes on your reivews?
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax is the one who put me on to Morgenstern in the first place. I loved the first two books I read of hers, but did not like this one. I just couldn't get into it and that was a dead giveaway to not continue with it. I have no detailed explanations of why not--just the no connection on my end.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
MrsFairfax is the one who put me on to Morgenstern in the first place. I loved the first two books I read of hers, but did not like this one. I just couldn't get into it and that was a dead giveaway to not continue with it. I have no detailed explanations of why not--just the no connection on my end.

You're thinking Kate Morgenroth, I think. The Night Circus is Erin Morgenstern's first attempt at a book.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leigh wrote:

I want to be a Vine member<g>. Did you just have a lot of likes on your reivews?

Not particularly. I swear to you I have absolutely no idea how my name got picked. I'm not complaining (at the moment, at least - picking books with no reviews except the publishers' can lead to a surprising amount of tedious reading). I'd tell you if I knew.
Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
Leigh wrote:

Not particularly. I swear to you I have absolutely no idea how my name got picked. I'm not complaining (at the moment, at least - picking books with no reviews except the publishers' can lead to a surprising amount of tedious reading). I'd tell you if I knew.

Oh, I know all about tedious reading<g> - just woke up - yes I know it is early afternoon, but the book I was reading put me to sleep!
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
You're thinking Kate Morgenroth, I think. The Night Circus is Erin Morgenstern's first attempt at a book.

Oops, I am. The names sound so alike. Whatever book I read last by Morgenroth was one I did not care for. I have not read The Night Circus by Morgenstern.
msaggie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus Reply with quote

I got The Night Circus out of the library (instead of buying it upfront) due to the mixed reviews about this book. I liked Jean Wan's review at AAR and take her points into account, however, I really liked the book (I would give it a high B+). It is true that Marco and Celia are a bit flat next to the secondary characters, and that is a weakness of this book, but I still rooted for them. I too loved the clockmaker and the whole concept of the reveurs. I think my favourite supporting characters are the twins. It's really odd that we never see their parents.

For all it's not really a romance, it's a magical romantic tale. I think the film rights are sold and I would love to see the movie. I want an umbrella that can keep you warm and repel rain in a 3D manner too! The story is told a bit like a fable, and the man in the grey suit remains an enigma to the end. There are lots of unanswered questions and things that don't quite make sense and are too fantastic - but then this is a book about magicians where the rules aren't always clear cut. I would recommend this book highly to those who loved going to the circus as a child (this is a wonderful circus), those who like intricate stories which require some degree of suspension of disbelief and those who love stories about magicians. However, on a note of warning, there is parental child abuse, cruelty, and injustice in this book too, but it's not as visceral or disturbing as some other mystery and suspense books on the market.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: