AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sorry, but I have to rant about 2 things.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bookmark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Sorry, but I have to rant about 2 things. Reply with quote

I just finished reading a book in a series of 5 or 6 books focusing on one heroine. Luckily for me, I read reviews on the rest of the books, and found out the heroine's love interest, who became her husband, died in book 3. I was so mad and thankful that I didn't invest more time and emotions to get to that sad end. But I did buy book 2&3. Gah, wasted money! Granted that since it was a paranormal, he could come back from the dead, but UGH! Now I'm scared of reading series. That was one reason why I always avoided this kind of book series and I've been proven right!

My other rant is about all these copy cat types of shade of grey, which I didn't read in the first place! The three series types with bdsm themes. I just hate the principle of imitations of what's perceived to be popular because it always gets to be overkill.

Which brings me to why I love readers who give good, detailed reviews, even if it involve spoilers. I've luckily avoided a lot of books because of them.
Audrey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on the series where it's the same h/h over and over. I just don't buy them. I just end up getting bored when the books are not so much about the relationship but about the things that keep happening to them.

I don't mind so much the copycats, since fortunately there are so many romances published that I haven't had any trouble finding what I want to read. I just ignore the ones I'm not interested in.
Eliza

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add diversity to our preferences...

I like series that are well done . . . but not overcooked! I acknowledge that there are also some half-baked(!) series out there too, but I do love a good series, like Eloisa James' Desperate Duchesses or the Essex Sisters, for example, or the on-going Outlander and In Death books. Of course what is considered good is a matter of taste(!).

On the other hand, I am no fan of imitators, copy cats, or trends of the moment. While some takeoffs or even homages can be done well, they're uncommon, just IMHO.
Cora

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like continuing series featuring the same couple, because I like watching the relationship develop. Though I agree that I prefer to be forewarned about things like deaths, resurrections, break-ups, switching between love interests in mid series, etc... And when recommending a continuing series with such surprises to romance readers, I usually add a "does not play by romance rules" warning, because I figure it's only fair.

The glut of Fifty Shades copycats bothers me, too. I had zero interest in Fifty Shades, since the Cinderella fantasy has no great appeal to me and I find BDSM and controlling/domineering heroes downright offputting. So when I see a display table at a bookstore full of Fifty Shades, Bared to You, The Siren and a dozen other copycats, whereas I have to buy at Amazon, because I can't find a single book I'd like to read, it does make me a little angry. And considering the speed with which the publishing industry moves, the real flood of Fifty Shades copycats is yet to come. The books we're seeing right now are either reissues of older works, books that were already in the pipeline or self-published works snapped up by a publisher. We'll be seeing a lot more Fifty Shades copycats in the next year. Meanwhile, beta heroes will likely be even more difficult to find than usual.
bookmark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Cora"] Though I agree that I prefer to be forewarned about things like deaths, resurrections, break-ups, switching between love interests in mid series, etc... And when recommending a continuing series with such surprises to romance readers, I usually add a "does not play by romance rules" warning, because I figure it's only fair.
Quote:

I wouldn't have known what "does not...." mean but now I'll know to look for those kinds of clues from reviewers who don't specify.

[quote="Cora"] The glut of Fifty Shades copycats bothers me, too. I had zero interest in Fifty Shades, since the Cinderella fantasy has no great appeal to me and I find BDSM and controlling/domineering....We'll be seeing a lot more Fifty Shades copycats in the next year. Meanwhile, beta heroes will likely be even more difficult to find than usual.

I'm more a fan of Snow White, myself. Wink

And just because it cannot be said often enough by me. I hate the movie Pretty Woman. So unrealistic.

GAH! To more fifty shades copycats. Why can't they just do one book and be over instead of series of three? More torture seeing more of them.
Cora

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use "doesn't play by romance rules" while recommending a book/series, I mean that the book/series contains things like multiple love interests, break-ups, love interests switching during the course of the series, deaths, sleeping with someone else after meeting the hero/heroine, dead children or pets and other things which tend to upset romance readers. I don't usually want to spoil plot developments unless explicitly asked, but I think it's fair to add a warning for people who might be upset. Because I have been burned by a surprise character death in something I thought safe.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most all my favorite books have been part of a series featuring the same couple throughout. I get attached to certain characters and I'd rather read a series that features the same couple than be introduced to a new one with each book. I will read both but that's my preference. I find characters that we meet and follow over many books are much more developed and the story is not as rushed.

I loved Fifty Shades but am not impressed with the copy cats. Gorgeous billionaire seeking his perfect BDSM partner is wearing thin. Not a single one of them even come close to being as well done as FSoG. Well with the exception of If I Were You but then it goes in it's own unique direction so holds its own.

Linda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: