AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013 Top 100 Romances Results
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: 2013 Top 100 Romances Results Reply with quote

The results are in for AAR's 2013 Top 100 Romances Poll.

Check here to see the news blog announcement:

http://www.likesbooks.com/blog/?p=11090

And here to see the results:

http://www.likesbooks.com/top1002013results.html
puce

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 14 titles out of the 66 I submitted and I'm happy for the return of Georgette Heyer with 5 titles, when in 2010 there was only one.
msaggie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: AAR 2013 Top 100 Reply with quote

Like puce, I am glad there are 5 Georgette Heyer titles this time in the top 100. Perhaps this was helped by Sourcebooks and Arrow reissuing the books over the last few years, and so more new Heyer readers were recruited! I had 18 of the 86 titles I submitted turn up on the top 100 list, which I find is odd as I always consider my reading tastes out of sync with many at AAR. And I did not vote for Lord of Scoundrels nor Devil in Winter!
Natalie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about 20 and I've read almost everything on the list (except for a couple of authors I'm not interested in like Julia Quinn). That's less than the previous polls which means my tastes have grown more apart (I'm more into YA and avoid regency set romance nowadays). That said, I don't think that either Devil in Winter or Lord of Scoundrels belongs in Top 10 (higher than Pride and Prejudice, really?) It would be also interesting to see a separate poll for contemporary romance or historicals only (without the classics) or YA only... But I guess I have to refer to Goodreads for that.
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with msaggie and Natalie on Lord of Scoundrels and Devil in Winter. Top spot for one of them and #2 for the other? Can't see it. But I guess no matter which book scored #1, there would be unbelievers.
Nana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natalie wrote:
That said, I don't think that either Devil in Winter or Lord of Scoundrels belongs in Top 10 (higher than Pride and Prejudice, really?)

The pollsters state that LOS and Devil in Winter appeared on 30% of all ballots. I think they end up there by sheer breadth of readership.

I wonder if the polls are influenced by the fact that a lot of people use the previous polls to think up their lists and end up throwing stuff on there because we're all desperate to get to 100. You look at it and go "Oh, yeah, that was good" and just throw it on at #73, and it continues to pick up points. So once a book appears in the top few of an older poll, it's going to be very hard to dislodge it.
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana wrote:
I wonder if the polls are influenced by the fact that a lot of people use the previous polls to think up their lists and end up throwing stuff on there because we're all desperate to get to 100.

Yes, that's another good thought because it's happened to me and I never even get to 100. Maybe the number 100 is sort of unrealistic? How about top 50? And I can see perhaps the top 10 books being weighted, but can the additional 40 (or whatever) not be? That would make it so much easier for us to complete a ballot and then maybe reach 100 titles a little easier? Just thinking out loud here. Have no idea if any of this is possible or would cause too much confusion.
Yulie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's an overwhelmingly historical (and especially regency historical) oriented list. No RS except for Howard - not even by Brockmann, let alone others - very light on PNR, no YA or NA that I could see... some of my books made it, but the overall focus is pretty far from what I read this days.

And while I have no issue with LoS high on the list, Devil in Winter was complete forgettable to me. I really only like Kleypas as a contemporary author.
Margaret

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a bit removed from reading romance, and didn't participate in the top 100 poll, but Lord of Scoundrels is still my #1 pick.
library addict

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:
Wow, that's an overwhelmingly historical (and especially regency historical) oriented list.
Ditto.

I've read at least 61 of the books on the new list. But as with previous years, many on the list were books I didn't personally care for.

I had 5 of my Top 100 make the list which is about what I expected.

Even when authors I like are on the list, I wouldn't have chosen the particular books of theirs that made it Laughing But it was still fun putting my nominees together and seeing other people's ballots.

Thanks to all the pollsters for getting the nominations tallied so quickly.

Last edited by library addict on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I didn't miss any, I've read 57 of the top 100 and voted for 10 of them (mostly Garwood & Heyer titles). I enjoyed reading several more that I didn't vote for, but I worked up my ballot by starting with the books I've reread the most times and nothing I've read less than 4 times made it into my votes.
Natalie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:
Wow, that's an overwhelmingly historical (and especially regency historical) oriented list. No RS except for Howard - not even by Brockmann, let alone others - very light on PNR, no YA or NA that I could see... some of my books made it, but the overall focus is pretty far from what I read this days.

I wonder if folks who read RS or YA (or other genres) gravitate to other sites like Goodreads? I've found quite a few authors I love there (Tammara Webber, for example). Which means that AAR pools are less representative than it used to be back in the late 90s/early 2000s when there was little alternative to it.
MEK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an interesting list. I do think there's a tendency to go back to the old 100 lists to refresh memory. I didn't vote, and here's why: I haven't yet read Georgette Heyer! Isn't that a strange reason? But I just couldn't bring myself to put together a top list of romances without having read such a venerable author. It seemed, somehow, irresponsible of me. I know that's kinda weird, but there you go!

Embarassed

Note to self: keep a better list, read Heyer…..

There are many I like on the list, and I've read most, but there are two I thought "nuh uh, no way", not IMHO!!
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, considering the diversity of books and genres mentioned on this message board, I am surprised at how narrow the list is. I've read about 39 to 40 of the books on the list, but not as many made my top 100. Maybe 10 or less?
CindyS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I didn't vote, and here's why: I haven't yet read Georgette Heyer! Isn't that a strange reason? But I just couldn't bring myself to put together a top list of romances without having read such a venerable author. It seemed, somehow, irresponsible of me. I know that's kinda weird, but there you go!

Hi MEK,

I'm Cindy, one of the pollsters, and I just wanted to let you know there are no rules to what a reader has read. I have not read Heyer or *gasp* Pride and Prejudice and quite frankly I don't see it ever happening - I'm more into paranormal romance and RS nowadays and hey, I think we should all read what we love. Doesn't mean I won't one day crack and say 'I feel like reading a huge book on TT in Scotland - I should try that Outlander that's sitting in my TBR pile' and maybe it will end up on my Top 10 and I'll kick myself for not reading it earlier but until then, I have some other books in my TBR calling my name. So if Heyer is an author you want to read go for it, if not, your picks are just as valid as anyone's!

Cindy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: