AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hers At Midnight by Judith James
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kathy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Hers At Midnight by Judith James Reply with quote

For those who are waiting for the next Judith James book (like me), she just posted to Facebook that Hers At Midnight will be released August 2013. I don't know why it's taking so long. She says she finished the manuscript in May. Oh, well. Something to look forward to next year.
D Rogers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Judith James book Reply with quote

Thank you Kathy for this update. I really enjoy her books and have been sort of delaying reading the last one so that I have something to carry me through!

Denise
Eggletina

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have an update on expected release date? I don't think I saw this in the post with expected books coming out for the rest of the year, so wondered if it's still going to come out late summer or in the fall. Looks like the author might have changed the title to "The Highwayman" as well.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not on Amazon, and many publishers have posted their upcoming releases all the way into March of 2014. I assume it's been delayed or HQN is going to find a slot later on this year.
Trish B

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I thought I had read on her website that "The Highwayman" was her original title for the book but that the publisher had changed it to "Her's At Midnight". But her website now only references "The Highwayman" without a book cover. The Harlequin website still has "Her's At Midnight" listed with cover artwork and a release date of August 2013. And as another poster stated, no sign of the book, under either title, on Amazon.

I wonder if there was some falling out or issue between the author and the publisher? Perhaps this one will wind up self published or something?
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trish B wrote:
I wonder if there was some falling out or issue between the author and the publisher? Perhaps this one will wind up self published or something?

Hmm...that could be close to the truth.

Judith James did comment on Lynn Spencer's blog post about historical romance:
Quote:
Iíve been writing epic style (as in taking place over a period of years) historically accurate romances for about five years now. The last four have all taken place in the 17th century. Theyíve done well critically, but I honestly canít say theyíve sold well. I was a little dismayed when I was on a panel at the RT convention a couple of years ago. The topic was why do you write in the time period you do? I launched into an explanation of the excitement of the period, the challenges it gave my characters et. Sabrina Jeffries, who was on the same panel said she used to write 17th century historicals but they didnít sell well enough to make a living at. My own experience has been the same. A tremendous amount of work and research for at best, so-so sales. I have one restoration era story left to publish to finish a story arc that covers most of the period, but I am switching to fantasy and paranormal after that. It seems to be where the sales are and as much as I love non regency fact based historicals, for me at least, they donít pay the bills.
Eggletina

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to Lynn's blog post. I do remember skimming that post, but I didn't have time to read the comments that followed. I see Judith James also says further down:

Quote:
My first job was in a bookstore and I started with the Angelique series and Dorothy Dunnet. Loved Morgan Lewellyn, Marion Zimmer Bradley and Sharon Kay Penman too. I suppose they wrote romantic historicals rather than historical romance but I doubt they would sell today. I have one left. I loved writing it and itís based on a real life highwayman and Englandís first female travel journalist. I will be getting it out there one way or another, but right now Iím working on something more along the line of Game of Thrones. Hopefully it will allow me to write the kind of epic adventure love stories I enjoy, in a genre that gets a little better sales.

I, too, love the epic adventure love stories (with or without HEA), so I'm glad to see the author pursuing that route. I'm always on the lookout for these types of books, regardless of how they are sold and marketed.
Jane A

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoirFemme wrote:

Judith James did comment on Lynn Spencer's blog post about historical romance:
Quote:
Iíve been writing epic style (as in taking place over a period of years) historically accurate romances for about five years now. The last four have all taken place in the 17th century. Theyíve done well critically, but I honestly canít say theyíve sold well. I was a little dismayed when I was on a panel at the RT convention a couple of years ago. The topic was why do you write in the time period you do? I launched into an explanation of the excitement of the period, the challenges it gave my characters et. Sabrina Jeffries, who was on the same panel said she used to write 17th century historicals but they didnít sell well enough to make a living at. My own experience has been the same. A tremendous amount of work and research for at best, so-so sales. I have one restoration era story left to publish to finish a story arc that covers most of the period, but I am switching to fantasy and paranormal after that. It seems to be where the sales are and as much as I love non regency fact based historicals, for me at least, they donít pay the bills.

My goodness, this makes me so sad! I love the 17th century restoration setting and I've tremendously enjoyed most of Judith James books. Now we'll be getting yet more paranormals from an author who does so well at providing variety to the available historical settings.
Eggletina

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'more like Game of Thrones' comment made me think she was leaning more toward historical fantasy than paranormal (I tend to distinguish between the two depending on how much the various elements factor into the story). I'm much more inclined to pick up historical fantasy along the lines of Martin, Hobb or Kay than paranormal romance (I'm not really into the JR Ward type of books, for example). I guess we'll have to see. On the flip side, the epic fantasy market is as glutted as the paranormal, so I imagine there is a lot of competition in those markets. I guess there are pros and cons from all sides.
Trish B

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS BREAKS MY HEART!!! Judith James is one of my go-to, never-dissapoints authors and I will miss her Restoration era stories. I love this time period and I don't understand why others don't. It's so much more interesting than the Regency!

Well if she's going to try Game of Thrones-type stories I may give them a try, but frankly, I've kind of had my fill of fantasy/paranormal/urban fantasy style stories. Kresley Cole and Nalini Singh are the only two authors in this genre that I read anymore . . .
Kathy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Update - sort of Reply with quote

According to a recent tweet from Ms. James, HQ prefers regencies and so "Hers At Midnight" wasn't a good fit, but she has the rights back and hopes to indie pub it, probably in the fall. I love her Restoration era books and wish there were more in this time period.
Blackjack1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trish B...
Quote:
"Judith James is one of my go-to, never-dissapoints authors and I will miss her Restoration era stories. I love this time period and I don't understand why others don't. It's so much more interesting than the Regency!"

Yes, I agree, and wish more romance writers were a bit more daring in tackling underused periods. I'm not really sure why there is so little in the entire 17th century, which is as you stated a great period for fiction and fictional settings. The Restoration period is a personal favorite of mine, but in fact, all of the seventeenth-century could be better utilized and has so many interesting areas to explore.

I too like Judith James and find her an interesting voice in the genre and wish she would continue to work in this time period.
jaime

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to be daring as an author if you are writing in a time period that not enough people are interested in. Isn't it for the same reason there are so few romances set in the MA these days?

Isn't historical romance in general doing much more poorly today than it was like 5 or 10 years ago? I wonder if this is the real reason authors like for example Lisa Kleypas have stopped writing it.
Blackjack1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if people in general lack interest or just don't know enough about a particular period. I wasn't a huge fan of Showtime's The Tudors, but it seemed quite popular. I think that the 18th century is similar enough to the 19th century that there could be an audience for that period in romance writing, and yet the differences are unique enough that it would offer interesting new angles to explore.

I really don't know either if there is a distinct difference in publishing today compared to five or ten years ago as I really only picked up romance reading in the past five years. It does seem though as if the current market is pretty homogenous and could use a good infusion of different settings, at the very least.
Blackjack1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot to add that I really enjoyed Anne Stuart's recent Rohan series set in 18th-century Paris. And I really like Meredith Duran's At Your Pleasure, which was set, I think, in mid 1700s. I'm not sure if these particular books though were popular or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: