AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Importance of Being Wicked by Miranda Neville edited

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
janet w

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: The Importance of Being Wicked by Miranda Neville edited Reply with quote

Neville's voice is one that I enjoy very much--her wry humour, the intelligence of her characters--it's part of every story she writes. I liked this time period: it's perhaps 20 years or so before the Regency era we read about so often. Her hero is a stuffy duke but he's not unintelligent and indeed, some of the "wits" that are in his circle seem to be need of growing up. A sadder but wiser heroine, a duke that has to marry money--these are ingredients in a book that I find very tempting. It's out today.

I wish I had written this review--it sums up the book beautifully:

http://justjanga.blogspot.com/2012/11/tuesday-review-importance-of-being.html

Edited to add a link to a fascinating dual-review at Dear Author. http://dearauthor.com/book-reviews/overall-b-reviews/b-plus-reviews/review-the-importance-of-being-wicked-by-miranda-neville-3/

When I like a book, like I did this one, it's such a treat to read a wide range of reviews. I've read some eyebrows raised about the heroine, but I felt she was portrayed realistically and with great compassion. Maybe it's me, but I'm overdue for heroines who aren't #perfectineveryway except maybe they're Too Kind or Too Beautiful. You know what I mean.

Last edited by janet w on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eliza

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Importance of Being Wicked by Miranda Neville Reply with quote

janet w wrote:
Neville's voice is one that I enjoy very much--her wry humour, the intelligence of her characters--it's part of every story she writes. I liked this time period: it's perhaps 20 years or so before the Regency era we read about so often. Her hero is a stuffy duke but he's not unintelligent and indeed, some of the "wits" that are in his circle seem to be need of growing up. A sadder but wiser heroine, a duke that has to marry money--these are ingredients in a book that I find very tempting. It's out today.

I've enjoyed Janga's reviews for some time. Thanks for pointing this one out.

P.S. I forgot to mention I really enjoy Miranda Neville too. She is one of my favorites.
LFL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've read some eyebrows raised about the heroine, but I felt she was portrayed realistically and with great compassion. Maybe it's me, but I'm overdue for heroines who aren't #perfectineveryway except maybe they're Too Kind or Too Beautiful. You know what I mean.

Agree about the heroine. I loved her and thought that it was great to see someone like her portrayed in a romance.
msaggie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Importance of Being Wicked by Miranda Neville edited Reply with quote

janet w wrote:

Edited to add a link to a fascinating dual-review at Dear Author. http://dearauthor.com/book-reviews/overall-b-reviews/b-plus-reviews/review-the-importance-of-being-wicked-by-miranda-neville-3/

When I like a book, like I did this one, it's such a treat to read a wide range of reviews. I've read some eyebrows raised about the heroine, but I felt she was portrayed realistically and with great compassion. Maybe it's me, but I'm overdue for heroines who aren't #perfectineveryway except maybe they're Too Kind or Too Beautiful. You know what I mean.
SOME MILD SPOILERS

Thanks so much janet w for linking us to the reviews of The Importance of Being Wicked. I just finished it last night and really enjoyed it. I have not read The Second Seduction of a Lady which introduces Caro when she was 17 and first met her first husband Robert. I thought it was a very realistic portrayal of what can go wrong with such an impetuous start to a marriage, and yet Caro was so loyal to Robert well beyond the call of duty, and beyond the grave. And I believed in her reason for wanting to hold on to the Titian. Robert was her first love, and she did still love him. Thomas was a lovely hero, and Miranda Neville showed more than told how he was so bowled over from the beginning with Caro. He was a total sweetheart and so long-suffering. A true opposites attract romance. I thought the scene near the end of the book when he tried to behave more like what Robert had been was so revealing of his great love for her. And it made Caro realise too that she loved him for what he was, and she didn't want him to be like Robert. I think there are very few romances where the hero is so understanding of the heroine's continuing attachment to her first husband! Jennie and Janine's review of this book at Dear Author is very comprehensive, and I would agree with all their points.
dick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried reading this book; I'm stopped at Chapter 6, not sure whether I'll continue or not. The problem for me is the tone, which, in my estimation, is, for want of a better word, cheeky, perhaps a little gauche. And some of the incidents strike me as off, just not right for the period and/or for the character of the hero. Perhaps if I pick it up again, I'll reconsider.
msaggie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Miranda Neville's The Importance of Being Wicked Reply with quote

dick wrote:
I tried reading this book; I'm stopped at Chapter 6, not sure whether I'll continue or not. The problem for me is the tone, which, in my estimation, is, for want of a better word, cheeky, perhaps a little gauche. And some of the incidents strike me as off, just not right for the period and/or for the character of the hero. Perhaps if I pick it up again, I'll reconsider.
dick, I had the same problem as you did in the beginning (MILD SPOILER)

especially the scene when she quizzes Thomas about his having a mistress, etc. Even by today's standards, I felt it really was rude and un-subtle. In an age when manners, propriety and subtlety were good ton, and desired qualities, it was a bit off. Perhaps the author intended for the scene to show how enamored Thomas was from the beginning that he wasn't more offended than was depicted. However, the book got better as it went along, so I would encourage you to carry on reading it! Having said that, there are anachronistic instances and speech patterns, and these might also strike you as you go along.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: