AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Romance novels with horror element in them??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monika

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Romance novels with horror element in them?? Reply with quote

Hi!!!

Can you guys rec romance novels having a spooky,supernatural element in them? And no I dont mean paranormal stuff ...
The book should have an eerie vibe in it..but should be essentially a romance..with all the typical attributes like great chemistry,character development,steamy sex...can be historical or contemporary...
Hope I am not asking for too much..

Thanks

ps:no bdsm,menage,cheating
CG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't read/enjoy horror, I've heard a lot of great things about Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake. It's classified as YA, but I know a lot of romance readers have raved about it. I think it's the first in a series, but can be read as a standalone.

Has anyone here read it?
Cora

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caitlin Kittredge's Black London series has strong romantic elements and is definitely on the darker and scarier side of urban fantasy. It follows the same couple, both of whom are deeply troubled people. It's good stuff, but really quite dark.
LynnS/AAR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for the same sort of thing back around Halloween. I wrote a blog about it, and got some good suggestions in the comments, if you want to check those: http://www.likesbooks.com/blog/?p=9024

I'm still reading my way through some of those, but I can tell you The Haunting of Maddy Clare was a good book. It's an eerie ghost story, and there's also some romance in the plot. Some of Barbara Michaels' books have a good, spooky vibe to them, too. Ammie, Come Home and Be Buried in the Rain are ones I remember liking.
Hopeless_Romantic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few I HAVEN'T read, but their synopsis sound spooky! Smile

"Lair of the Lion" by Christine Feehan - THE BEAUTY Impoverished aristocrat Isabella Vernaducci would defy death itself to rescue her imprisoned brother. Though fear formed a fist around her heart, she'd even brave the haunted, accursed lair of the lion--the menacing palazzo of legendary, lethal Don Nicolai DeMarco.... THE BEAST Rumor said the powerful don could command the heavens, that the beasts below did his bidding ... and that he was doomed to destroy the woman he took as wife. It was whispered he was not wholly human--as untamed as his tawny mane and slashing amber eyes. THE BARGAIN But Isabella met a man whose growl was velvet, purring heat, whose eves held dark, all-consuming desire. And when the don commanded her to become his bride, she went willingly into his muscled arms, praying she'd save his tortured soul ...not sacrifice her life.…

"Sons of the Wolf" by Barbara Michaels 1967 [Gothic] - Ada and Harriet had never met anyone like Mr. Wolfson, the strangely magnetic, darkly funny man who was to be their new guardian. Who, confined to a wheelchair and flanked by two fierce dogs, both welcomed and intimidated the girls. And who had two equally mysterious sons, Julian and Francis--one was as good-natured as the other was evil. But evil, as Harriet soon discovered, ran rampant through Abbey Manor and the surrounding moors. Especially in the moonlight ... -also called: Mystery on the Moors)

"Night of the Phantom" by Anne Stuart - Gothic Modern - Between dawn and dusk, Ethan Winslowe's weird mansion was as still as a crypt. Beneath its maze of gloomy corridors, its owner slept far from reach of the sun. As night fell, and fears and phantasms rose to haunt her, Megan Carey was led down to his underground lair--to dine with a phantom she never saw, who remained a dark shape hidden among shadows. Reputation had it that Ethan was a genius, madman and monster. And Megan was Ethan's prisoner, held fast by a threat stronger than chains . . . . And by a hunger to know the heat of Ethan's passion, which raged like a fire in the night. I READ A FEW PARTS OF THIS MANY YEARS AGO AND LOVED THE SCENE WHERE . . . tiny spoiler in white . . . He takes care of her while she’s sick! It's so cute! Smile

I HAVE READ THIS NEXT ONE AND I ENJOYED IT "The Master of Blacktower" by Barbara Michaels 1966 [Gothic] WHAT IS THE SECRET THAT HAUNTS THE MASTER OF BLACKTOWER? His hands were encased in black silk gloves, a lurid scar twisting the roughly hewn features of his face. His dark eyes blazed, and his mocking laughter echoed to the highest tower of the ancient Scottish estate. Damaris Gordon knew she could never work for such a cruel and bitter man-but after her father's death, she had no choice. Her fate was in the hands of Gavin Hamilton--a man tortured by disfigurement, disillusion ... and dark secrets of the past. Was he responsible for his wife's death? Or the injury that crippled his young daughter? Curiosity lured Damaris to the top of the tower in search of the truth. But love sent her over the edge …

You might also try: Victoria Holt [she's old-school, as they say, but a scene from one of her suspenses still gives me chills].
Cora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you prefer more gothicky romances (and the series I recommended isn't very gothicky, sorry), try Susanna Kearsley who's an excellent writer of modern gothics. Lisa Greer, Barrymore Tebbs and Adam Wright are also writers of modern gothics. All three are self-published, probably because gothics are no longer fashionable. Kathleen Valentine is another excellent self-published writer who sometimes dips her foot into gothic territory. She's more women's fiction than romance, though.
Monika

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LynnS/AAR wrote:
I was looking for the same sort of thing back around Halloween. I wrote a blog about it, and got some good suggestions in the comments, if you want to check those: http://www.likesbooks.com/blog/?p=9024

I'm still reading my way through some of those, but I can tell you The Haunting of Maddy Clare was a good book. It's an eerie ghost story, and there's also some romance in the plot. Some of Barbara Michaels' books have a good, spooky vibe to them, too. Ammie, Come Home and Be Buried in the Rain are ones I remember liking.

wow,i checked out your post and it was a treasure trove for me..so many recs .. :)Thank you !!
Monika

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopeless_Romantic wrote:
Here are a few I HAVEN'T read, but their synopsis sound spooky! Smile

"Lair of the Lion" by Christine Feehan - THE BEAUTY Impoverished aristocrat Isabella Vernaducci would defy death itself to rescue her imprisoned brother. Though fear formed a fist around her heart, she'd even brave the haunted, accursed lair of the lion--the menacing palazzo of legendary, lethal Don Nicolai DeMarco.... THE BEAST Rumor said the powerful don could command the heavens, that the beasts below did his bidding ... and that he was doomed to destroy the woman he took as wife. It was whispered he was not wholly human--as untamed as his tawny mane and slashing amber eyes. THE BARGAIN But Isabella met a man whose growl was velvet, purring heat, whose eves held dark, all-consuming desire. And when the don commanded her to become his bride, she went willingly into his muscled arms, praying she'd save his tortured soul ...not sacrifice her life.…

"Sons of the Wolf" by Barbara Michaels 1967 [Gothic] - Ada and Harriet had never met anyone like Mr. Wolfson, the strangely magnetic, darkly funny man who was to be their new guardian. Who, confined to a wheelchair and flanked by two fierce dogs, both welcomed and intimidated the girls. And who had two equally mysterious sons, Julian and Francis--one was as good-natured as the other was evil. But evil, as Harriet soon discovered, ran rampant through Abbey Manor and the surrounding moors. Especially in the moonlight ... -also called: Mystery on the Moors)

"Night of the Phantom" by Anne Stuart - Gothic Modern - Between dawn and dusk, Ethan Winslowe's weird mansion was as still as a crypt. Beneath its maze of gloomy corridors, its owner slept far from reach of the sun. As night fell, and fears and phantasms rose to haunt her, Megan Carey was led down to his underground lair--to dine with a phantom she never saw, who remained a dark shape hidden among shadows. Reputation had it that Ethan was a genius, madman and monster. And Megan was Ethan's prisoner, held fast by a threat stronger than chains . . . . And by a hunger to know the heat of Ethan's passion, which raged like a fire in the night. I READ A FEW PARTS OF THIS MANY YEARS AGO AND LOVED THE SCENE WHERE . . . tiny spoiler in white . . . He takes care of her while she’s sick! It's so cute! Smile

I HAVE READ THIS NEXT ONE AND I ENJOYED IT "The Master of Blacktower" by Barbara Michaels 1966 [Gothic] WHAT IS THE SECRET THAT HAUNTS THE MASTER OF BLACKTOWER? His hands were encased in black silk gloves, a lurid scar twisting the roughly hewn features of his face. His dark eyes blazed, and his mocking laughter echoed to the highest tower of the ancient Scottish estate. Damaris Gordon knew she could never work for such a cruel and bitter man-but after her father's death, she had no choice. Her fate was in the hands of Gavin Hamilton--a man tortured by disfigurement, disillusion ... and dark secrets of the past. Was he responsible for his wife's death? Or the injury that crippled his young daughter? Curiosity lured Damaris to the top of the tower in search of the truth. But love sent her over the edge …

You might also try: Victoria Holt [she's old-schok these out..ol, as they say, but a scene from one of her suspenses still gives me chills].

Thank you so much!!will chec
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: