AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kindle Book Prices

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deann

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Kindle Book Prices Reply with quote

I recently purchased my first e-reader, a Kindle Paperwhite 3G. Much to my surprise I am very happy with this purchase. I had reservations about reading books on an e-reader, but knew that I needed to buy one to be able to read so many of the books that cannot be purchased in print. It will also eliminate storage problems. My big gripe with some e-books is the price. There are 2 books that I want to purchase for my Kindle, but the Kindle price is $7.99 (same as print copy) and I could have purchased those same books in print at Target or Wal-Mart for $5.99. Amazon also has a special promotion for many print books where you buy 4 books and get the lowest-priced book free. No such deal for e-books. I don't understand why all e-books are not less expensive than print copies because the publishers don't have the paper and transportation costs. I would be interested to hear other readers thoughts on this subject.
limagal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I have purchased several but never those $7.99 ones that are the same as paperbacks. Avon seems to do that- it must be their policy but I think they are losing out on that one.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget libraries have both print books and ebooks to borrow without spending $$.
limagal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I don't live in the US so not an option. Those who do, should certainly take advantafe of the libraries!
Margaret

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just go for the free books--I think they are usually older books, but many I haven't read. I was able to get a couple of Jade Lee and an entire 5 book series by Denise Domning free this weekend. A free Kindle book I really enjoyed (the 1st installment), Wool by Hugh Howey, had such great success that it's being printed--I will purchase the print book over the Kindle ebook.
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that most of those high ebook prices are set by the PUBLISHERS, especially the AGENCY CABAL. 3 of the Agency 5 are supposedly settling, but I have seen very little sign that they have stopped their price fixing, and 2 of the Agency publishers are still fighting in court.
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7.99 seems like a good e-buy to me. Unfortunately Amazon has been forced to jack its e-prices for Australians sky high on some books. The latest J.D Robb is an example at over $20. Also Jayne Anne Krentz at over $17.
Not on my budget.

Elizabeth
Dreaming of You

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prices are set by the publishers who have been really resistant to the move to ebooks. You can find some good deals if you are flexible about what you are looking for and check in at least a couple of times a week if not more frequently. Books by certain publishes never go on sale (and likely won't at least until the lawsuit is settled) but other publishers do allow sale prices so you can find good deals. The sales often only last a day or two so you have to grab them quickly. You can find lists of good deals here or on the chat boards on Amazon.
MEK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a bummer to be interested in an ebook and find prices like....12.99!!
This is Penguin's frequent price, especially on new releases.

But its true there ARE some great deals out there.

Happy shopping!
BarbaraSD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are some of the words whited out and you can't see them unless you roll your cursor over the word. The words that do this are: ebooks and free. I'm wondering if they will be whited out here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: