AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Searching For Two Injured Regency Heroes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bavarian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Searching For Two Injured Regency Heroes Reply with quote

I'm just rereading Red Roses Mean Love by Jacquie D'Alessandro and I'm thinking about two other books with quite similar topics, but whose titles and authors I've forgotten.

One could be an older classic regency. The H, titled and wealthy, breaks his leg and has to stay in the home of our heroine. She lives with her father, who is somewhat of a recluse with little interest in day to day life, and maybe a younger brother. Their financial means are meager. To maintain propriety the h has to take in a woman from the neighborhood. I remember her as not very congenial. I can't recall if the H has other injuries too and also no further details besides that he stays in the small room usually used by the h. Perhaps (?) eventually his valet arrives and helps to care for him, but I'm not sure about that. I could confuse it with the second book:

This book has the length of a typical historical, I think. The H is quite arrogant and conceited at the beginning (a bit like the H in RRML). He has to change some to become likeable - and lovable. This h too lives under similar limited financial circumstances but has a noble background. As I recall her two younger brothers find the unconcious H and bring him and his horse home. The heroine nurses him back to health. At first the H thinks he can show his gratitude in bringing her to London to his family (to a sister?) where they could find a suitable husband for her. So it's not a straight forward relationship between the two. It takes some time until the H finally does notice that the best husband would be himself.

Has anybody read one of these titles? I really would like to reread these books (hoping they are available as ebooks).
PatW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure all the details match and it is quite new but Anne Gracie's An Accidental Wedding has this theme.
willaful

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of them might be The Conquest by Edith Layton: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1382742.The_Conquest
Manda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest both THE CONQUEST and THE ACCIDENTAL BRIDE. Also, isn't that roughly the plot of Mary Balogh's SLIGHTLY SINFUL?
bavarian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for Your help!
As it is a few years since I've read the second title I'm quite sure that it is The Conquest by E. Layton.
I've read the other books You mentioned, too. They are not the titles I'm searching for.
I believe the first book was an older regency, more of a sweet story, but I really can't remember much about it.
juliafe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the first book be "An Affair of Honor" by Candice Hern? There's a brother and a valet but no heroine father as I recall.. An enjoyable book.
bavarian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer, juliafe, but it's not the title I'm searching for. I had the Hern book on my Kindle but not yet read. So I started reading now.

And now I'm thinking how many Regencies have this same theme: heroine rescuing the hero and, or at least, nursing him back to health?
My question here has produced four, there's the Jacquie D'Alessandro book too, another I've read some time ago taking place in post revolutionary France and the h following the (reluctant) H to England in search of her mother's family (can't remember neither author nor title, too).

And then there's Libby's London Merchand by Carla Kelly with the turn that the h doesn't marry the rescued!!, a sign for the superior writing of the author.
But I wonder how many books of this kind one could find?
Kayne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bavarian wrote:
And now I'm thinking how many Regencies have this same theme: heroine rescuing the hero and, or at least, nursing him back to health?...But I wonder how many books of this kind one could find?

I think there is a Cynster book by Stephanie Laurens, A Secret Love that has this theme and a favorite medieval, A Knight to Remember by Christina Dodd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: