AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recently Read - November 12 - January 13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esskayel wrote:
Wallbanger by Alice Clayton

I had never heard of Alice Clayton before, but I'm so happy I gave her a shot, because I absolutely loved this book!

The heroine, Caroline, moves into a new apartment and is repeatedly disturbed by the obnoxious sex happening in the next door apartment. She eventually gets fed up and angrily confronts her neighbor, Simon, leading to a period of irritation and very funny bickering/banter, followed by a sweet friendship and romance.

It's not the typical "I hate you, let's go to bed" scenario. Caroline is adamant that she will not be just another woman in his "harem," so although their conversations are often full of double entendres, they take their time getting to that step, allowing Simon to woo her.

I had a great time reading this book, it's been a while since I've enjoyed anything as much.

Just finished Wallbanger and loved it. Added it to my best of 2012 list!
jc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallbanger by Alice Clayton A-

Thank you so much for the recommendation. I really enjoyed Wallbanger. Great chemistry between Caroline and Simon. Lots of laugh out loud moments. Even the cat was funny. A fun, sexy read. I only gave it the minus because it's not a keeper for me. I'm a rereader and I loved it, but not enough to reread.

Duchess War by Courtney Milan B

I thought the hero, Robert, was a great character. He was charming and earnest in his beliefs. I just never quite warmed up to the heroine Minnie.
I wanted to love her, and I know I should, she was smart and charming and clearly captivated Robert, but she never moved me. She wanted to look up and let herself be heard, and I kept waiting for the big moment and then eh.

It is definitely a well written book, but I had no problem putting it down and two days later I couldn't remember their names. Maybe I shouldn't have read the reviews first because I was just expecting more feeling.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished up "Overseas" today by Beatrix Williams. Inventive plot with a slight "Outlander" flavor. Man and woman meet during one time period but also have a connection in another.

When the action was moving, I enjoyed the story, but there were lulls in the middle that dragged out the story unnecessarily. I also got a bit impatient with the characters hiding things from each other or -- more frustratingly -- not asking obvious questions in follow-up to information the other gives to them that any normal person would jump on.

Anyway, interesting story, with a plot that needed some tightening.

I'll give it a B.
Natalie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've grown lax in reviewing my reads, so here goes the last couple of months:

Sherry Thomas, Tempting the Bride - B-

I really looked forward to the last book in the Fitzhugh trilogy as the characters' love/hate relationship intrigued me from the start. However, my expectations of an intense battle of will and desire were mostly betrayed by the very convenient temporary memory loss.

Sherry Thomas, The Bride of Larkspear - A

Now we're talking! It's an alternative story of Tempting the Bride, written from the hero's POV and as an erotic novella. Wow, Sherry can write some hot scenes! I want more of that in her other books, please!

Courtney Milan, The Duchess War - B

Even though the hero is a duke, he's not your typical "duke of slut" (the opposite in fact), the book is not about London balls and the heroine is also quite interesting. Ms Milan is definitely one of my favorite new authors.

M.L. Buchman, The Night is Mine - B
I got curious when Eloisa James mentioned Buchman as one of the few male romance authors. He also uses military setting and badass heroines (the type who can rescue themselves just fine). He writes female perspective very convincingly. I found the White House conspiracy a tad over the top and would have preferred more military action, but I still enjoyed it. Will definitely check the next book in the series.

Sarah Mayberry - Hot Island Nights - B
For those days when you want a contemporary novel without sinister plots and dastardly villains but with a touching and hot love story. I have added the next book to my list.
mirole

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to read Wallbanger by Alice Clayton but don't know where to buy the ebook. I am in Canada and it's not on Kobo.

I found it on Amazon.ca but it says Kindle edition. Does anyone know if I can download it to my ipad if it's Kindle edition (considering I am in Canada). I am just dying to read this book.
jaime

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirole wrote:
I would love to read Wallbanger by Alice Clayton but don't know where to buy the ebook. I am in Canada and it's not on Kobo.

I found it on Amazon.ca but it says Kindle edition. Does anyone know if I can download it to my ipad if it's Kindle edition (considering I am in Canada). I am just dying to read this book.

Mirole, as far as I know all you would have to do is to install the free Kindle App on your ipad and you can read the Kindle edition with the App. Good luck and happy reading!
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
Y/A (not quite sure why they are marketing it this way other than the 2 protagonists are young women) WWII suspense.

An amazing book. I added it to my "Best of 2012" list. However, if I was going to rank them, this book would be heads and shoulder above the rest. So glad I bought it in paper so that I can (urge, force) lend it to friends and family.

This is a very suspenseful, heart wrenching book. It is not a romance. However, at its core, it is the story of two young women who are best friends.
Here is a review
http://dearauthor.com/book-reviews/overall-a-reviews/a-minus-reviews/review-code-name-verity-by-elizabeth-wein/
Natalie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah Mayberry, Her Best Worst Mistake

A solid follow up to Hot Island Nights. I like contemporary London setting too.
mirole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Jamie.

I was not able to download the latest Kindle app because it does not work on iPad 1 but I found a solution - bought the book on the website of its publisher, Omnific Publishing.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent my Christmas holiday engrossed in Shelle Sumners' "Grace Grows." This book hit my sweet spot. I loved the characters, the setting, the plot, the author's voice. Everything. Reminded me of a "north eastern" version of Marsha Moyers' "The Second Coming of Lucy Hatch," which is high praise from me, as I loved that book.

I give this an A+. A real keeper for me. Will look forward to the author's next endeavor.
Leigh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
Spent my Christmas holiday engrossed in Shelle Sumners' "Grace Grows." This book hit my sweet spot. I loved the characters, the setting, the plot, the author's voice. Everything. Reminded me of a "north eastern" version of Marsha Moyers' "The Second Coming of Lucy Hatch," which is high praise from me, as I loved that book.

I give this an A+. A real keeper for me. Will look forward to the author's next endeavor.

I . Will definitely be on the lookout for her next book too.
Leigh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:

I . Will definitely be on the lookout for her next book too.
Pop Tart

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That's a good comparison and I agree that emotionally the books really do hit the same notes. Loved both.

I just finished the third in Tina Whittle's mystery series featuring Tai Randolph, Blood, Ash, and Bone and give it an A. It's not out until March but I have really loved all three books in the series and wanted to give a shout out. You might take a look for her first The Dangerous Edge of Things which introduces Tai and Trey Seaver (her love interest).

In Dangerous Edge... Tai has just inherited her uncle's confederate memorabilia/gun shop in Atlanta. Dealing with that is problem enough but then she finds a dead body in her brother's driveway and meets Trey when she begins to investigate. Trey is a former police officer who suffered brain damage in a car accident. His personality changed and he had to leave the force and now works for a security company. Trey has had to remake himself since the accident changed the wiring of his brain so much. And though he comes across as completely emotionless as Tai spends more time working with him she realizes the depths of this man.

Great series.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop Tart wrote:

I just finished the third in Tina Whittle's mystery series featuring Tai Randolph, Blood, Ash, and Bone and give it an A. It's not out until March but I have really loved all three books in the series and wanted to give a shout out. You might take a look for her first The Dangerous Edge of Things which introduces Tai and Trey Seaver (her love interest).

Thanks for this - I read Dangerous Edge when it came out but have forgotten to look for follow up books.
esskayel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jc wrote:
Duchess War by Courtney Milan B

It is definitely a well written book, but I had no problem putting it down and two days later I couldn't remember their names. Maybe I shouldn't have read the reviews first because I was just expecting more feeling.

I just finished The Duchess War, and I feel exactly the same. I never felt the urgency to pick it up to see what happens next. It was just a B grade for me as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: