AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Op-ed on the Republican Party

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eliza

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Op-ed on the Republican Party Reply with quote

Warning: In the name of provoking a lively year-end discussion...

Send in the Clowns by Thomas L. Friedman, December 22, 2012
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/23/opinion/sunday/friedman-send-in-the-clowns.html?_r=0
dick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't disagree with anything the writer says, although I do think that on the "fiscal cliff" business Obama was a bit intransigent as well. Why couldn't he suggest they split the difference between 400 thou and 1 mill?
Both parties are playing games that do the rest of us little good.
Eliza

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why couldn't he suggest they split the difference

They did. Obama started at $250,000 and Boehner at ZIP, then went to $400,000 vs a million before the Republicans cut Boehner off at the knees (again) for any compromise whatsoever. Deju vu all over again; what a surprise.
dick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was Obama who offered to go to 400,000; Boehner, I think, insisted on the 1mil. Either of them could have offered to meet in the middle between 400 thou and 1 mil. Neither did. Both I think are at fault.
Eliza

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
I think it was Obama who offered to go to 400,000; Boehner, I think, insisted on the 1mil.

That's what I meant. And Boehner pulled back HIS OWN offer because he couldn't get his own party to agree to even that! That's why there's so much discussion about the effectiveness or lack thereof of the Speaker and if he will remain the Speaker in the new House or not. Eric Cantor's name is being tossed around.

By the way, all the polls from the election until now have had huge majorities of people supporting Obama on who is taxed, not to mention many economists who support raising revenue to avoid a recession.
dick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no doubt that Boehner hasn't exercised much control over the Republicans in the House, but I still believe Obama and the Democrats share in the intransigence which keeps the whole mess boiling.
Eliza

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boehner Cancels Tax Vote in Face of G.O.P. Revolt
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/21/us/politics/house-moves-toward-vote-on-boehners-backup-plan.html?pagewanted=all

WASHINGTON — Speaker John A. Boehner’s effort to pass fallback legislation to avert a fiscal crisis in less than two weeks collapsed Thursday night in an embarrassing defeat after conservative Republicans refused to support legislation that would allow taxes to rise on the most affluent households in the country.

What he could not do was blame Democrats for failing to take up legislation he could not even get through his own membership in the House.

Can Boehner survive? What failure on deal means for troubled Speaker
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/21/politics/boehner-survive-fiscal-cliff-plan-b/index.html

Thursday night's epic meltdown in the House GOP conference came at a defining moment for Boehner. As he has done several times in the past two years, the speaker attempted to persuade conservatives who campaigned against any compromise to support his strategy, putting pressure on Democrats to agree to what these members demanded: more spending cuts.

But Boehner's own members refused to go along, and some conservative and tea party groups began to call Friday for him to step down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: