AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for books before or during the American Revolution
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sherron100

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Looking for books before or during the American Revolution Reply with quote

I love this time period. I have read Diana Gabaldon, Sara Donati, Pamela Clare, Christine Belvins. I know there are some others that I can't think of at the moment. I am fine if it is heavy with history. Must have HEA tho. Smile Do you know of any more?? Thanks
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older:
Elswyth Thane, Dawn's Early Light

Margaret Widdemer, Lady of the Mohawks

Recent (I haven't seen it; just an ad):
Christine Blevins, The Tory Widow

Have you looked at historicalromancewriters.com for this time period? (see the menu on the left). Colonial covers to 1775; Revolution from 1775 to 1800.

There are a lot of historicals for this period that aren't specifically romances.
xina

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for books before or during the American Revoluti Reply with quote

sherron100 wrote:
I love this time period. I have read Diana Gabaldon, Sara Donati, Pamela Clare, Christine Belvins. I know there are some others that I can't think of at the moment. I am fine if it is heavy with history. Must have HEA tho. Smile Do you know of any more?? Thanks

There are many titles under...Special Titles Listings. Click on Readers Choice at the top. Then click on Special Titles Listings. Go all the way down to WAR. And there are many books listed. I've read some of them. The Betina Krahn books and the one by Jude Deveraux were very good. Good luck. Happy reading.
love2read

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't pass this up! My sentimental favorite book is "Celia Garth" by Gwen Bristow- read it when I was a teenager and have recommended it over the years - everyone who has read it loves it! It is the story of a woman in Charleston SC who becomes a spy for the American side - it's a sweeping historical, with the real-life Francis Marion (the "Swamp Fox" - if you know your history, you'll know who he was) included. A sweet love story - this book has it all.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane Aiken Hodge set several books in Savannah, GA during the time period you want. She also set one during the War of 1812. I'll try to find the titles soon or you can check out Fiction DataBase yourself.

I second the recommendation of Elswyth Thane's Dawn's Early Light.

Kay
sherron100

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked on fiction database and found Jane Aiken Hodge. I believe this is the series:
Judas Flowering
Wide is the Water
Savannah Purchase

They definitly look like something I would be interested in. I am going to look them up. Thanks so much. They look very good.

I am also going to go check out Elswyth Thane's Dawn's Early Light.

Thanks everyone so much, this is one of my favorite time periods and just not enough books on it.
Nana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patricia Potter's Star Keeper is a Revolutionary war story, which I enjoyed very much. It also has my favorite cover stepback of all time. You can see it here:

http://www.likesbooks.com/covrcol14f.html
Meg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Jo Goodman's early series about the McClellans.

Meg
Elaine S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love2read wrote:
Couldn't pass this up! My sentimental favorite book is "Celia Garth" by Gwen Bristow- read it when I was a teenager and have recommended it over the years - everyone who has read it loves it! It is the story of a woman in Charleston SC who becomes a spy for the American side - it's a sweeping historical, with the real-life Francis Marion (the "Swamp Fox" - if you know your history, you'll know who he was) included. A sweet love story - this book has it all.

Oh yes, yes, yes!! And I adored Jubilee Trail and Calico Palace as well!

ETA - I remember reading in grade school Johnny Tremaine by Esther Forbes which is a YA (or younger) book that I remember after 50 years. Paul Revere was a main character.
Trish B

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WICKED LIES by Laura Renken (now writing as Melody Thomas) is set in 1772 Virginia and involves the Sons of Liberty and rebel spies against the British. The book was published in 2002 and I recall enjoying it very much.
sherron100

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Nana, I am waiting for Star Keeper to come in the mail from PBS. Thanks

Meg, gonna check out Jo Goodman's McClellans.

Several people have suggested Gwen Bristow to me. Looking her up.

Trish, I just got Wicked Lies in the mail yesterday from PBS. Gonna start it as soon as I finish The Beloved One by Danelle Harmon. It's from the same time period. It is book two in the series, book one was GREAT. Just in case anyone else is interested.

Thanks everyone
Not Quite Nicole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winds of Glory by Susan Wiggs. It's on the Special title list, and one of my favorites. Before the war starts, she is compromised, and they are forced to get married. He's a poor soon-to-be Patriot and she's a rich Tory.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Colonial Area Reply with quote

Two more books, both of which were reviewed here: The Charade by Laura Lee Guhrke and Taking Liberties by Diana Norman. I've put links to the reviews below. I've not read the Guhrke but I loved the Norman. The book takes place in the UK but the American Revolution and the idea of fighting for both personal and political liberty is central to the book. She makes the situation suspenseful, even though we know how the war ended. There's even a nice romance.

http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=5253

http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=94
Nana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Colonial Area Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:
Two more books, both of which were reviewed here: The Charade by Laura Lee Guhrke and Taking Liberties by Diana Norman. I've put links to the reviews below. I've not read the Guhrke but I loved the Norman. The book takes place in the UK but the American Revolution and the idea of fighting for both personal and political liberty is central to the book. She makes the situation suspenseful, even though we know how the war ended. There's even a nice romance.

http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=5253

http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=94

I read The Charade on the strength of general Gurhke fandom and thought it was awful. A weak Revolutionary War version of the Scarlet Pimpernel with an amoral heroine, and thoroughly anachronistic in the actions and attitudes of the characters towards the war. Even though it's Revolutionary War, I wouldn't recommend it to the original poster.

Still, Blythe seems to have liked it, so maybe see if your library has it. I might have felt less irritated if I hadn't paid for it.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danelle Harmon's second book about the Montefiore brothers, The Beloved One, is set mostly in Massachusetts during the early months of the Revolutionary War. The hero is a British officer, who suffers a head injury during the Lexington/Concord skirmishes and loses his memory. I think that this is the best book of the quartet.

Kay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: