AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writing a romance...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SweetOne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Writing a romance... Reply with quote

Hi y'all.

I'm hoping someone here can give a little advice. I've been writing a romance, I'm about 3/4ths complete. I had to take a break from it because the book seemed to be getting a little darker than I wanted. Is there any place on the web, or else where, I can get a little constructive criticism? My problem is I don't want my work to be "stolen", not that it's worth stealing, but...

I've had a few friends read it, but I'm afraid they weren't very good at constructive criticism. I think they didn't want to hurt my feelings. I can really take it. Wink Don't get me wrong, I like having them say it's wonderful, I just wish I could believe them.

Thanks in advance. ~S
LeeB.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SweetOne: Many authors who have websites usually have a link re the writing process. Maybe you can get some ideas from favorite authors. Also, many authors talk about new books on this forum, so maybe that's another place to post your query.
http://likesbooks.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=12
Gabi Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend looking for a local writing chapter. If you go to the RWA (Romance Writers of America) web site, they have a list of chapters and their locations. If you aren't near a physical chapter you can always join an on line chapter. Chapters have critique group information, business info, writing info, etc. Attend a meeting. They can be a lot of fun.
--Gabi
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutewrite.com has some resources you may be able to use - I think there's a forum for critique and/or finding beta readers.
xina

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that the Dear Author site hasn't been mentioned. they have a thing called, Query Saturday where authors can send a anonymous query to be read and critiqued by the authors and readers who frequent that blog. Most of the authors seem to be e-published and/or erotic authors. Many of the comments can be fairly cutting, but I suppose, honest in their opinion. Check it out if you've got the nerve. I think the website is...

www.dearauthor.com

Good luck!
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the best thing is to find a local chapter of RWA. They are all over the place and you will meet like-minded people and hopefully a critique partner if that's what you want. You can also go to conferences, either local chapter conferences or the big national one and find a lot of help and advice there. I go to the Australian conference each year (because I'm Australian) and find the workshops always give me fresh insights into what I'm doing. It was the same the time I went to the US National conference - only bigger!
Another benefit of RWA is the monthly magazine The Romance Writers' Report. It always has terrific articles on writing and to me that alone is worth the membership.
Finally, enter your manuscript in some of the RWA Chapter contests. There are heaps of them out there for unpublished authors run by the various chapters of RWA, some for complete manuscripts, some for specific parts, eg First Kiss, First Meeting, Love Scene, or even I think some for synopsis. (We have one here in Australia for the first fifty pages and a synopsis.) This will certainly get you some unbiased feedback on your writing. Just remember that it is your story and in the end you have to work out which advice you get on your writing is helpful and which isn't. It's your story. There is a yahoogroups group called ContestAlertUnpublished which will keep you posted on which contests are coming up. There are plenty of published authors who started this way.

Having said all that, I may as well stick my neck right out - if your book is getting a little darker than you intended . . . well, tough Wink. Join the club. Sometimes our characters don't do what we expected or intended and we just have to go on the journey with them. If your characters are strong enough to do that to you then that's a good sign.

Good luck.

Elizabeth

Edited to clean up typos.
SweetOne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all your advice, everyone. I really appreciate your suggestions.

Mrs. Rolls said:
"Having said all that, I may as well stick my neck right out - if your book is getting a little darker than you intended . . . well, tough . Join the club. Sometimes our characters don't do what we expected or intended and we just have to go on the journey with them. If your characters are strong enough to do that to you then that's a good sign. "

They have definitely taken it upon themselves to tell me how to write the story. Very Happy

Xina said:
"Many of the comments can be fairly cutting, but I suppose, honest in their opinion. Check it out if you've got the nerve."

Not sure I can handle brutal honesty. But, I may look into that. Should probably get my kleenex ready.

Y'all have a great day. Thanks again for all the great advice.
Smile
~S
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just make it "Elizabeth", Sweet One! Gosh, Mrs Rolls - I'd have to grow up Shocked
SweetOne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elizabeth Rolls wrote:
You can just make it "Elizabeth", Sweet One! Gosh, Mrs Rolls - I'd have to grow up Shocked

Only showing respect and appreciation for your work, Elizabeth. Loved "His Lady Mistress", "A Compromised Lady", and, "The Unruly Chaperon."

Never grow up. I hear it's underrated. Very Happy
~S

edited to change Unholy to Unruly
Anne Marble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Writing a romance... Reply with quote

SweetOne wrote:
Hi y'all.

I'm hoping someone here can give a little advice. I've been writing a romance, I'm about 3/4ths complete. I had to take a break from it because the book seemed to be getting a little darker than I wanted. Is there any place on the web, or else where, I can get a little constructive criticism? My problem is I don't want my work to be "stolen", not that it's worth stealing, but...

Besides the forums on AbsoluteWrite (already mentioned), Forward Motion for Writers (at http://www.fmwriters.com/) has critique groups, as well as message boards, twice weekly brainstorming sessions (I run one of them Very Happy -- mine is the chaotic one), etc. Oh, and AbsoluteWrite has Share Your Work, a password-protected critique forum with subforums for several genres, including romance.

From what I understand, most writers say that you don't have to worry about someone stealing your work. The people who join these groups are there to get help on their own work and to help other writers. Besides, in the vast majority of cases, it's been my experience that when people plagiarize, they usually steal work from published authors.

But when you post your work in an on-line group, one thing you do have to be careful with is that the work isn't considered "published" when you do so. In other words, only use groups where the critique section is password-protected. If you put it up on someone open, like a forum anyone can read or a blog or LiveJournal that's open to everyone, then the work is considered published, and that means some publishers won't be interested in it. (There are gray areas. Luckily, there are people on FMWriters and AbsoluteWrite with far more knowledge about this than me. Embarassed )
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
edited to change Unholy to Unruly

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Tilda would LOVE that!

Elizabeth
kargo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, there are a lot of website that help for your Romance novel and you can do it well by searching google that i think so and you can take advice from the author of many forums who are experienced in it . and i am sure you can complete your work successfully Wink . by the i wanna know that why don't you do all by yourself as you have written 3rd/4th portion of it .however taking a great ambition you can do it . thank you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: