AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Children with eReaders...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eggletina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Children with eReaders... Reply with quote

My 9 going on 10 year old asked for a Kindle HD for xmas, so my husband has bought one for her. I'm now starting to rethink how we want to manage an account for her.

Has anyone done this and have any tips or best practices? I'm debating how to manage the content for our family. Do you have all your devices on one account? If I registered her device on my account, I have books that I'd probably want to place in a protected collection that she can't access. Or is it better to keep your child's device on a separate account? Can you share content between different accounts? Or link them? I also want to prevent her from accidentally charging too much to the account. She's the kind of kid who wants to buy whatever she sees, so some kind of parental control will be necessary.
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eggletina,

I have twins- boy and girl and both at one time used the kindle device They started around 11 years old. There is one account which is my account. I do not allow them to have their own. What I do is I check out the books they are interested in. I read reviews, check what type of books and make sure there's nothing inappropriate. Then I would download the books. I had the original kindle, then I passed it on to my daughter. I had my own books on the kindle and I was concerned that she might be curious and read them. What I did was I set it up that all my books were listed last and her books at the top. I told both kids that they are absolutely not allowed to open my books and if they did I would know. And how I would know is if they went into one of my books, it would pop up to the top. They have stayed true to this. They really have no interest in my books. They are now 13 and use an Ipad with the kindle app. - and I still use the same process.

I hope this helps.

Debbie
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, if you share an account she will be able to see your books if she goes looking. I would set up a seperate account and you can still use the same billing information but you'll have your own login. This is what I did for my daughter, she's old enough that I don't mind if she sees my books but we wanted to keep our libraries seperate. We have Nooks. You can set up purchases to require a password.

I also have just bought the Nook Tablet and it has where you can set profiles for each user and only their books will show up when they login. I haven't used this feature myself but I can see where it would come in handy for families with multiple users. Not the eink for reading though, it is backlit.

Linda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: