AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Highest Earning Authors According to Forbes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Highest Earning Authors According to Forbes Reply with quote

Here is a list of the top 16 highest earning authors according to Forbes. I was surprised to see Janet Evanovich coming in 3rd! ahead of Nora Roberts. Daniel Steele is way up there also and I have never read her.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/10/highest-earning-authors-_n_1764571.html#slide=1360873
Jean Wan AAR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several thoughts:

- I think Nora Roberts is slowly but surely on the decline. I haven't read her straight books in ages. J. D. Robb is an exception.
- I would guess that Janet Evanovich's sales come from having crossed both the romance and mystery genre, whereas Nora Roberts stays firmly in romance.
- I read DS once to see what makes her one of the bestselling authors of all time. I'm still wondering.
- It would be worth seeing the list ranking # units moved rather than just earnings. Because many of the high earning ones publish books that come out in hardcover first, and not cheap ones either. Stephen King's 11/22/63 alone retailed at $40CAD, whereas the hardcover for the Hunger Games is only $20CAD. I suspect when looking at hard copies moved, the list would look very different.

Thanks for the list, Kayne. Interesting food for thought.
Eliza

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the list too; I love things like this.

Nora Roberts and Danielle Steele didn't surprise me for a couple of reasons. The first is that there are always just tons of their books at library sales and used book stores. Volume speaks, well, volumes. (And for all the e-book readers there are, there are still plenty of paper book readers.)

Danielle Steele always makes the NY Times top ten best seller list time after time. relentlessly. She must have a really dedicated core audience.

Even though many non-book stores have cut back on how many books they display these days--like Walmart and Target--there are always a row of Nora Roberts books from various years there. One thought I had--especially after talking about her In Death books--is that her books hold up over time and I have to believe even older reissued books keep selling. (I read the reissued Mackade series myself for the first time not too long ago.) Otherwise, in these times, no way would the stores stock her. Even my local CVS's small book section has a Nora "selection."

Janet Evanovich didn't totally surprise me only because of her books continuing to hit best-seller lists. Apparently a lot of folks need their Stephanie, Ranger or Morelli fix, even if there's not much new. Maybe like a visit with old friends. JE also has a backlist that keeps getting released. What truly did surprise me was JE in third place overall. I never would have imagined that.

Last edited by Eliza on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Eliza

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a followup here are the current NYT romance best sellers for comparisons.

Hardback:
4. DELUSION IN DEATH, by J. D. Robb (released sep 11)
18. THE INN AT ROSE HARBOR, by Debbie Macomber (released aug 14)
28. FRIENDS FOREVER, by Danielle Steel (released aug 21)

Mass market:
8. THE LOST NIGHT, by Jayne Castle
15. THE UGLY DUCHESS, by Eloisa James
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, by Danielle Steel
17. LETHAL, by Sandra Brown
19. BIG SKY MOUNTAIN, by Linda Lael Miller
20. I LEFT MY HEART, by Debbie Macomber
23. CELEBRITY IN DEATH, by J. D. Robb
24. ARCHANGELíS STORM, by Nalini Singh
25. WHERE AZALEAS BLOOM, by Sherryl Woods
26. HAPPY EVER AFTER, by Nora Roberts
27. LOVE IN A NUTSHELL, by Janet Evanovich and Dorien Kelly
32. STRANGER IN THE MOONLIGHT, by Jude Deveraux
35. CATCHING FIREFLIES, by Sherryl Woods

e-books:
2. DELUSION IN DEATH, by J. D. Robb
4. FIFTY SHADES FREED, by E. L. James
5. FIFTY SHADES OF GREY, by E. L. James
6. FIFTY SHADES DARKER, by E. L. James
7. SIMPLY IRRESISTIBLE, by Jill Shalvis
9. LOVE UNREHEARSED, by Tina Reber
10. BARED TO YOU, by Sylvia Day
13. BECAUSE YOU ARE MINE PART VII, by Beth Kery
15. WRONG BED, RIGHT GUY, by Katee Robert
16. LIGHTHOUSE ROAD, by Debbie Macomber
19. SUMMER DAYS, by Susan Mallery
22. THE INN AT ROSE HARBOR, by Debbie Macomber
26. FIFTY SHADES TRILOGY, by E. L. James
28. SEDUCING CINDERELLA, by Gina L. Maxwell
30. LET ME BE THE ONE, by Bella Andre
31. GABRIEL'S INFERNO, by Sylvain Reynard
32. ALL SUMMER LONG, by Susan Mallery
33. GABRIEL'S RAPTURE, by Sylvain Reynard
34. SILENT RUN, by Barbara Freethy
Kayne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't realize they had e-book sales lists like that. The entire list was cool to see and different from what I expected. Thanks for sharing.
Eliza

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a follow-up to see if the same romance authors, esp. Roberts, Steel and Evanovich we discussed before, held on to NYT best-seller status.**

As an aside, I happened to notice while non-book store shopping that in addition to Nora Roberts the other authors regularly stocked in greater numbers in small book sections (including older books) were Debbie Macomber and Susan Mallery. It wasn't unusual to also see Linda Lael Miller and Sherryl Woods. In fact, Macomber appears on all three lists below.

I'm obviously interested in book buying patterns, speaking of which George R.R. Martin's Game of Throne books are doing gangbusters in paper but not in e-form, while quite a bit of the e-list is held by romance tending toward erotica. And Sandra Brown is on all three lists, but not given extra treatment that I noticed in box stores. I'm not an statistics expert but I find it all interesting. I hope someone else does too.

hardbacks:
5. LOW PRESSURE, by Sandra Brown. (released sep 18th)
11. DELUSION IN DEATH, by J. D. Robb.
22. THE INN AT ROSE HARBOR, by Debbie Macomber
35. FRIENDS FOREVER, by Danielle Steel

mass market:
14, THE LOST NIGHT, by Jayne Castle.
15. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, by Danielle Steel.
16. LETHAL, by Sandra Brown.
17. CELEBRITY IN DEATH, by J. D. Robb.
19. HOW TO CAPTURE A COUNTESS, by Karen Hawkins.
20. THE CURSE, by Sherrilyn Kenyon and Dianna Love.
22. I LEFT MY HEART, by Debbie Macomber
23. BIG SKY MOUNTAIN, by Linda Lael Miller
26. THE UGLY DUCHESS, by Eloisa James
28. LOVE IN A NUTSHELL, by Janet Evanovich and Dorien Kelly
29. DON'T CRY FOR ME, by Sharon Sala
30. HAPPY EVER AFTER, by Nora Roberts
32. WHERE AZALEAS BLOOM, by Sherryl Woods
34. MYSTERIOUS, by Nora Roberts
35. SILVER GIRL, by Elin Hilderbrand

e-books:
2. FIFTY SHADES OF GREY, by E. L. James.
3. FIFTY SHADES FREED, by E. L. James.
4. FIFTY SHADES DARKER, by E. L. James.
7. LOW PRESSURE, by Sandra Brown.
9. BECAUSE YOU ARE MINE, PART VIII, by Beth Kery.
10. BARED TO YOU, by Sylvia Day.
12. SIMPLY IRRESISTIBLE, by Jill Shalvis.
13. DELUSION IN DEATH, by J. D. Robb.
16. WRONG BED, RIGHT GUY, by Katee Robert.
20. FIFTY SHADES TRILOGY, by E. L. James.
21. THE INN AT ROSE HARBOR, by Debbie Macomber.
28. LET ME BE THE ONE, by Bella Andre
29. GABRIEL'S INFERNO, by Sylvain Reynard
33. SEDUCING CINDERELLA, by Gina L. Maxwell
35. GABRIEL'S RAPTURE, by Sylvain Reynard

**A version of this list appears in the October 7, 2012 issue of The New York Times Book Review. Rankings reflect sales for the week ending September 22, 2012.
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:
Just a follow-up to see if the same romance authors, esp. Roberts, Steel and Evanovich we discussed before, held on to NYT best-seller status.**

As an aside, I happened to notice while non-book store shopping that in addition to Nora Roberts the other authors regularly stocked in greater numbers in small book sections (including older books) were Debbie Macomber and Susan Mallery. It wasn't unusual to also see Linda Lael Miller and Sherryl Woods. In fact, Macomber appears on all three lists below.

I'm obviously interested in book buying patterns, speaking of which George R.R. Martin's Game of Throne books are doing gangbusters in paper but not in e-form, while quite a bit of the e-list is held by romance tending toward erotica. And Sandra Brown is on all three lists, but not given extra treatment that I noticed in box stores. I'm not an statistics expert but I find it all interesting. I hope someone else does too.

I am surprised by the differences between the types of books that sell in different formats. I have wondered if YA books sell better in book form because many teens might not have access to e-book readers? On the other hand youth might be technically ahead and read the e-books?
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean Wan AAR wrote:
- I read DS once to see what makes her one of the bestselling authors of all time. I'm still wondering.

If you have read one Danielle Steel, you have read about 10 of hers, she only seemed to a few storys to tell. Or at least that is what I thought about 15 years ago when I dipped my toe into her books.

[/quote]- It would be worth seeing the list ranking # units moved rather than just earnings. Because many of the high earning ones publish books that come out in hardcover first, and not cheap ones either. Stephen King's 11/22/63 alone retailed at $40CAD, whereas the hardcover for the Hunger Games is only $20CAD. I suspect when looking at hard copies moved, the list would look very different.
[/quote]

In additon to the cost of their hardbacks, did they figure in their earns off movies and such. Because Stephen King must make a good bit of his money from movies and TV. there is a newer tv show on a cable channel based on the Colorado Kid. And if they are figuring E.L James will be at the head of the list next year then it has to be with the movie rights, because I don't think the 3 books would be enough. I am thinking that is why Twilight, and others made the top 5.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: