AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Because You Are Mine - Beth Kery - serial novel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HEAreader

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Because You Are Mine - Beth Kery - serial novel Reply with quote

Based on the ad running at the top of this page, I downloaded the first of eight parts last week. ($1.99 for each installment which makes it the equivalent of a hardback book.)

My thoughts:
1. Obviously similar to FSoG. Very obvious, from the first page.
2. Pretty well written, IMO. I think I will download the next part tomorrow BUT....
3. At first, the excerpt appears to be 55 pages, but it actually starts on page 8 and ends on page 37. The rest is promotional material for other books. So $2 for 30 pages. Trying to figure out if this is worth it. If the next segment is only 30 pages, I'm not sure if I'll continue.

Anyone else reading it? I'd really like to hear someone else's opinion.
Minerva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the first part last week. I just downloaded the second. I've recently discovered Beth Kery. Some of her books I really enjoyed, some...not so much. I'm not quite sure where I fall with this book yet. So far, I'm enjoying it.

I agree with the price being a little high. Most trade paperback books are $9.99 to $12.99. This book is the price of a digital hardcover novel. Without the ability to download the entire book and read in one sitting!

I'll hang in for a couple of episodes before I decide if I'll continue.
erika

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the serial part, I didnt realize some ebook authors are doing this until recently and I'm not a fan of this. Once a serial book is finally done one could pay $16 for it! That's as bad as a 50 page ebook priced at 2.99!!!
xina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erika wrote:
About the serial part, I didnt realize some ebook authors are doing this until recently and I'm not a fan of this. Once a serial book is finally done one could pay $16 for it! That's as bad as a 50 page ebook priced at 2.99!!!

Years ago, Stephen King did this with The Green Mile. Of course, paper..not ebook. My son read them all, and it was exciting for him to get the latest book from the bookstore each week. At this point, I think it's just a way to make more $$ and that was probably the same when King did it.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also read a some of Beth Kery's work. I really liked Gateway to Heaven, which is priced @ 2.99 @ Amazon (much more palatable pricing), and have Wicked Burn TBR on my Kindle (this one came highly recommended). I think she is a good writer and she sets a lot of her stories in Chicago, my old stomping grounds:)

I do think 1.99 for few chapters is too much. You end up paying more for the story than most print books. I think the publishers are using the fanfiction model for marketing. When you follow a story on a fanfiction board, the installments are weekly. If it is a good story, it's like watching a TV show, eagerly anticipating the day of a new episode.

I think I will wait it out and see if the pricing drops when they sell it as a whole novel.
Minerva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really not loving the serial thing.

I read part 2 yesterday. It was 30 pages (2 chapters).

In 30 pages, you can't really develop a character driven plot. So there is a lot of "telling" about each of the characters. But that means I would want a much stronger plot. However, I feel like the plotting is choppy and is being driven by the length of the serial rather than providing breaks at natural plot points.

There are parts that I like, but I think I'm getting distracted by how the novel is broken into pieces. I'm sure the publisher will package this as a book. I may just wait until then. (I'm sure the pricing will be more reasonable as well!)
erika

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
erika wrote:

Years ago, Stephen King did this with The Green Mile. Of course, paper..not ebook. My son read them all, and it was exciting for him to get the latest book from the bookstore each week. At this point, I think it's just a way to make more $$ and that was probably the same when King did it.

I didn't know King did this. Wonder if it was controversial then since King was an established author.
HEAreader

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did decide to wait it out b/c I'm betting the price drops once all the installments have been published. I rarely spend that much money on one book anymore.
desiderata

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like some of Beth Kery's work, so I was interested in this when I saw it on Amazon. However -- the pricing is ridiculous. I'll also wait to see if the price comes down when it's published as an entire novel. If not, oh well, there are a lot of other books to read.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desiderata wrote:
I like some of Beth Kery's work, so I was interested in this when I saw it on Amazon. However -- the pricing is ridiculous. I'll also wait to see if the price comes down when it's published as an entire novel. If not, oh well, there are a lot of other books to read.

This one has been on my radar but what a ripoff at $2 a shot for a couple of chapters! This latest trend irks me to no end, I'm going to wait until it's published in an entire novel or Amazon gains control over the pricing and reduces it to .99. I read reviews for the last installment and it sounds like the biggest waste of money of them all.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

This one has been on my radar but what a ripoff at $2 a shot for a couple of chapters! This latest trend irks me to no end, I'm going to wait until it's published in an entire novel or Amazon gains control over the pricing and reduces it to .99. I read reviews for the last installment and it sounds like the biggest waste of money of them all.

Linda

This series thing seems like a blatant rip off. I've enjoyed some from this author, but will not buy into this.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another novel out that's like this only I bought the first one without checking it clearly, dumb! It was called Sweet Jealousy and I was browsing the 'what to read if you read Fifty' section at Amazon and this one popped up. I hit the buy button without doing my homework and quickly realized it was just af few chapters and if I wanted more I'd have to buy them in pieces. Grrrr!

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
There's another novel out that's like this only I bought the first one without checking it clearly, dumb! It was called Sweet Jealousy and I was browsing the 'what to read if you read Fifty' section at Amazon and this one popped up. I hit the buy button without doing my homework and quickly realized it was just af few chapters and if I wanted more I'd have to buy them in pieces. Grrrr!

Linda

I've hit the "buy" button one too many times. Ugh. Well, if this is a new trend in publishing, I won't be participating in it. Not when I can buy...well, a Kristen Ashley book book for 3.99! LOL!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: