AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shape of Desire by Sharon Shinn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leigh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Shape of Desire by Sharon Shinn Reply with quote

This doesn't sound like a sequel to her last book.

The Shape of Desire by Sharon Shinn
For fifteen years Maria Devane has been desperately, passionately in love with Dante Romano. But despite loving him with all of her heart and soul, Maria knows that Dante can never give all of himself back—at least not all the time. Every month, Dante shifts shape, becoming a wild animal, and leaving Maria alone. Since the beginning, she has kept his secret, knowing that t...moreFor fifteen years Maria Devane has been desperately, passionately in love with Dante Romano. But despite loving him with all of her heart and soul, Maria knows that Dante can never give all of himself back—at least not all the time. Every month, Dante shifts shape, becoming a wild animal, and leaving Maria alone. Since the beginning, she has kept his secret, knowing that their love is worth the danger. But when a string of brutal attacks occur in local parks during the times when Dante is in animal form, Maria is forced to consider whether the lies she’s been telling about her life have become lies she’s also telling herself…(less)

April 2012
kari

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Shape of Desire Reply with quote

It's not a sequel to Troubled Waters, but the start of a new series (this title and a sequel have both been accepted by her editor/publisher). When she wrote Troubled Waters it was planned as a stand-alone, but she admitted to me in an email that she has some ideas for a sequel that may or may not ever be written. (I hope so! I loved the book.)

The new series is loosely considered by Sharon to be urban fantasy, though it doesn't sound as if the heroine is terribly "kick-ass" along the lines of Mercy Thompson or Kate Daniels (the true kick-ass heroines that I've most recently read). I buy everything Sharon writes (even in hardcover) and trust that the new series as well as the angel novella in Angels of Darkness (coming out this fall) will be up to her usual excellent standards.

Sadly, the book featuring a story by Sharon in an upcoming anthology (The Mammoth Book of Ghost Romance) has been put off until autumn 2012 instead of 2011. (Bad publisher!) I was trying to preorder the book but in the end found that it was being delayed (after searching all over the internet for information concerning its release).

Kari
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interest to see what Shinn does with the urban fantasy genre. Perhaps she'll strengthen the romantic elements of her books, because I've always felt she held back so the SF/F community wouldn't pigeon-hole her as a woman writer and/or someone who writes "mushy bodice-ripper" SF/F.
willaful

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoirFemme wrote:
I'm interest to see what Shinn does with the urban fantasy genre. Perhaps she'll strengthen the romantic elements of her books, because I've always felt she held back so the SF/F community wouldn't pigeon-hole her as a woman writer and/or someone who writes "mushy bodice-ripper" SF/F.

Hmm, interesting theory. I myself feel no lack in the romance elements of her books, though I do shelve them with my science fiction. But there's a lot more room there! Laughing
Leigh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Shape of Desire Reply with quote

kari wrote:
It's not a sequel to Troubled Waters, but the start of a new series (this title and a sequel have both been accepted by her editor/publisher). When she wrote Troubled Waters it was planned as a stand-alone, but she admitted to me in an email that she has some ideas for a sequel that may or may not ever be written. (I hope so! I loved the book.)

The new series is loosely considered by Sharon to be urban fantasy, though it doesn't sound as if the heroine is terribly "kick-ass" along the lines of Mercy Thompson or Kate Daniels (the true kick-ass heroines that I've most recently read). I buy everything Sharon writes (even in hardcover) and trust that the new series as well as the angel novella in Angels of Darkness (coming out this fall) will be up to her usual excellent standards.

Sadly, the book featuring a story by Sharon in an upcoming anthology (The Mammoth Book of Ghost Romance) has been put off until autumn 2012 instead of 2011. (Bad publisher!) I was trying to preorder the book but in the end found that it was being delayed (after searching all over the internet for information concerning its release).

Kari

Thanks so much for posting the update. I always read her books.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willaful wrote:

Hmm, interesting theory. I myself feel no lack in the romance elements of her books, though I do shelve them with my science fiction. But there's a lot more room there! Laughing

I always feel the romantic elements brim with passion, but with the lid firmly screwed on it. By the end of the book, the HEA rarely touches my emotions because the romantic relationship was so cerebral, which is why I waver between considering this to be the result of Shinn's writing style or the confines or expectations of the SF/F genre.
msaggie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Still Life with Shapeshifter by Sharon Shinn Reply with quote

I am a great fan of Sharon Shinn, but due to the mixed reviews of her new shapeshifter series, I waited to get these out of the library. Our local library does not have The Shape of Desire, but it has the sequel, Still life with Shape-shifter which got a higher grade here at AAR. The main protagonists in The Shape of Desire, Maria and Dante, have a supporting role in the second book of the series. Dante's brother, William, is the partner of Ann, the sister of Melanie, the heroine of Still Life with Shapeshifter.

I think in this book, Sharon Shinn has written in a very different tone compared to all her other books. Maybe it's just me but I miss the world-building I am used to from her. This series makes shapeshifters a part of our world, and in a way, its take on shifters is a bit like Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, with less of the feral-ness, and more of the wildness. My favourite character is the hero, Brody, who is a really great guy. What I can't understand is what he sees in Melanie, who is basically defensive, rude and stand-offish towards him from the get-go. What this book excels in is showing the nature of a deep love between two sisters, and I agree with Leigh's review here http://likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=9259 - it really makes one re-examine one's attitudes about loving. There is a lot of sacrifice for sisterly love in this book - and thus the love story is more about the two sisters than Melanie and Brody. Nothing very much happens in this book, except Melanie's worrying about her sister, and Brody's trying to get to know her despite all the obstacles she puts up. In a way, it's almost like Women's Fiction with a dollop of shapeshifter paranormal-ness added on.

It's not the usual Sharon Shinn book, and read it like a contemporary paranormal with women's fiction overtones. What did those of you who have read this book think about it?
willaful

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was disappointed in both books, though thought the second was considerably better. (2 stars and 3 1/2 stars were my ratings.) The focus on obsessive love was unnerving to me, and I kept searching for meaning in them that I couldn't find.

ETA -- reading Leigh's reviews, I pretty much agree with them. I wonder if her other disliked Shinn book is the same as mine. (Jenna Starborn.)
Leigh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willaful wrote:
I was disappointed in both books, though thought the second was considerably better. (2 stars and 3 1/2 stars were my ratings.) The focus on obsessive love was unnerving to me, and I kept searching for meaning in them that I couldn't find.

ETA -- reading Leigh's reviews, I pretty much agree with them. I wonder if her other disliked Shinn book is the same as mine. (Jenna Starborn.)

Nope<g> but Jenna Starborn wasn't a big favorite. I feel in love in love with Shinn's storytelling with Samara Angel series. And then I read her backlist. I didn't particularly care for a few of them, but they weren't a big disappointment either - I think because i didn't have any built in anticipation about the characters. But I did with the Twelve House Series. I really disliked The Thirteen House the second book, in the series. In fact after reading the book, I was so disappointed that I sold the first two book in the series back to my UBS - and they were hb. After reading Dark Moon Defender, I went back to the UBS and bought my own books back<g>

I think I read the Thirteen House one other time to see if it was as disappointing as I thought it was. And while I didn't have the crushing sense of disappointment, I still didn't like it.

Yeah, were is she going with this obsessive love stuff with this series? It is very strange.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: