AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A book you just could not finish
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IslandGirl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: A book you just could not finish Reply with quote

This is a shocker maybe I'll try again one of these days but Mary Ballough Slightly Dangerous bored me and I couldn't finish the 4th chapter. I've set it aside. (And I actually went by the poll here) Same this year with The Treasure by Iris Johansen. Oh man I had such high hopes for one of my returning favorite couples in their very own book. I'm shocked that I put it to the side. The Bride by Julie Garwood. A few Plum in between books by Janet Evanovich. They are collecting dust. Sleeping Beauty by Judith Ivory one of my favorite authors as well. Again not sure why just a mood maybe or the leads didn't capture my attention. But I refuse to force myself to finish something I just can't get into. I gave up doing that years ago.

Any highly praised books that you just couldn't finish?
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private Arrangements
Heather

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meredith Duran's "Duke of Shadows". Everyone just raved about it, but I didn't like it at all...By the time the H/H make love...I don't feel like I even knew who they were or why they were making love. So I stopped reading it after that.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:
Private Arrangements

I just delved into this one, and totally agree, Niftybergin.

Kay
JaneO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about different strokes! Slightly Dangerous, Duke of Shadows and Private Arrangements were all keepers for me.

One I couldn't finish an older book was Brockway's "As You Desire," whick many people seem to like. I found the heroine's behavior simply moronic.
sandilib

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaneO wrote:
Talk about different strokes! Slightly Dangerous, Duke of Shadows and Private Arrangements were all keepers for me.

One I couldn't finish an older book was Brockway's "As You Desire," whick many people seem to like. I found the heroine's behavior simply moronic.

Different strokes indeed! Razz I really liked As You Desire, although I do agree that the heroine was a bit annoying. But I would be kinder and call her childish instead of moronic. Wink

There are very few books I could not finish, and it is actually a recent trend. In the past, I would always stick with the book to the bitter end.... Nowadays, with less time to read, I have decided not to waste my time anymore. The first book to have the "honor" of being DNF is "If Angels Burn" by Lynn Viehl. A few more came after that, but I don't even recall their titles now..... not only DNF but also DNR (Do Not Remember).. Confused
xina

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember the title, but my latest DNF, was a contemporary Susan Johnson. French Kiss??? I stopped reading when the hero was making a big joke out of not using a condem...during sex. I just thought it wasn't very funny, actually really lame. I stopped reading then. Put it down and didn't get back to it. I was going to sell it at my UBS...new copy, never read, but my sheltie (like the avatar) found it on my bed and chewed the corner of the cover. I guess the book bothered him too!! Grrrrrrr
Kass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dorothy Dunnett's first Lymond book. I hated the "hero."

Anne Bishop's constant dwelling on incest and cutesy names in the Black Jewels books. Utterly disgusting. I don't know how anyone can read this crap.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
Kerstin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kresley Cole's "Captain of all pleasures" and "If you dare". There were no hot buttons pushed, I just wasn't drawn into the stories and the writing style didn't appeal to me either. Also Laura Kinsale's "Hidden heart" and "For my lady's heart" just didn't grab my attention. In the "Slightly" series by Balogh I just couldn't get into Freya's story at all because her character annoyed me. I also never finished Julia Justiss' "A scandalous proposal" though I got quite far with that one. But the plot dragged IMO and the hero was sort of wishy-washy. Connie Brockway's "Dearest enemy" also was a DNF. I found the heroes lackluster and the romance even more so.

And then there was a contemporary by Linda Howard with a frumpy almost virginal spinsterish librarian turned into hot, sex goddess dancing the night away that I found so ludicrous that I couldn't finish it. But I have a hard time with contemporaries anyway.

Kerstin
Margaret

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Margaret on Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
panthercrawl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:
Private Arrangements

Oh....my....god. I thought I was the only person on this board that did not like that book. I finished it but didnt like it.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panthercrawl wrote:
Niftybergin wrote:
Private Arrangements

Oh....my....god. I thought I was the only person on this board that did not like that book. I finished it but didnt like it.

I skimmed toward the middle. Not a favorite of mine either.
Kaia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am somewhat obsessive about finishing books; maybe because I won't read more than one book at a time? For me, if I set a book aside, that means I will not pick it back up. But this happens very rarely, about once a year. Especially since I decided to Google "romance novel reviews" a few months ago and discovered AAR. Wink

I read a Stephanie Laurens book a few years ago and didn't really like it, but recently decided to give her another try. I found The Ideal Bride at the UBS and picked it up. And then put it back down again after slogging through about 50 pages... It's now in the UBS bag. And I just read Erin McCarthy's Mouth to Mouth, and that would have been a DNF if I had been a bit less obsessive. Confused It was my first of hers, I was looking to get Flat Out Sexy, but my library doesn't have it yet. I will try another of hers, maybe I just didn't connect w/ the H/H.

I guess I am very optimistic and if a book is not really connecting, hey, maybe the author will turn it around! Once I start the roller coaster, I want to ride it to the end. I really need to know how the characters will end up. This is possibly a manifestation of my need for an HEA, and therefore, my love of the romance genre.
cheri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is an easy one. The Scottish Companion by Karen Ranney, who I've loved previously. IIRC, I hated the heroine Rolling Eyes and the hero was a scientist and had all these contraptions that he later hooked up to the heroine during heir heavy petting episodes. I was thinking WTF? is this Still a historical written by Ranny or what? that was the end of that book.
cheri
Nicole M.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaia wrote:
I am somewhat obsessive about finishing books; maybe because I won't read more than one book at a time? For me, if I set a book aside, that means I will not pick it back up. But this happens very rarely, about once a year. Especially since I decided to Google "romance novel reviews" a few months ago and discovered AAR. Wink

I read a Stephanie Laurens book a few years ago and didn't really like it, but recently decided to give her another try. I found The Ideal Bride at the UBS and picked it up. And then put it back down again after slogging through about 50 pages... It's now in the UBS bag. And I just read Erin McCarthy's Mouth to Mouth, and that would have been a DNF if I had been a bit less obsessive. Confused It was my first of hers, I was looking to get Flat Out Sexy, but my library doesn't have it yet. I will try another of hers, maybe I just didn't connect w/ the H/H.

I guess I am very optimistic and if a book is not really connecting, hey, maybe the author will turn it around! Once I start the roller coaster, I want to ride it to the end. I really need to know how the characters will end up. This is possibly a manifestation of my need for an HEA, and therefore, my love of the romance genre.

I had a hard time getting through two Laurens books as well. I feel badly because so many people love her, but I just could not get into her stories.

Others for me:

--Broken Wing (I know many have raved about this one, and although I see why, I'm found it unbelievable and the prose didn't hook me).

--I never finished "Into the Fire." I thought the book was a downer and I didn't like the direction Brockmann appeared to be going with Sophia/Decker/Dave.

--A couple by Jacquie Alessandro (sorry if I misspelled her name). Not bad, per se, just kindof predictable and boring.

--Any of Judith McNaught's books since "Remember When." I keep hoping she'll somehow get her gift back, but I can never make it through any of the newer books. The writing is so stilted.

Nicole M.

--
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: