AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If I Were You by Lisa Renee Jones - AMAZING!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: If I Were You by Lisa Renee Jones - AMAZING! Reply with quote

I've been recommending this book in a couple other threads but it's so damn good it deserves a thread of it's own.

Self described as Fifty Shades of Grey meets Basic Instinct, I've spent a small fortune in ebooks since I finished FSoG in hopes of finding a book that will light up so much excitement when I read it that I feel giddy during and afterwords, If I Were You is the only one to succeed, as of yet. I'll warn straight away that it's the start of a trilogy and it ends in a cliff hanger, the next one isn't due out until Spring of 2013.

This book has kind of a modern gothic feel and is kind of a mind f*uck in that you really don't know what the characters are up to, what secrets they're hiding and who can be trusted. It starts off with a dark and spooky feel that actually gave me chills and moves on to a suspenseful, dark and sexy tale with a little bit of kink. The heroine is somewhat like Ana from Fifty Shades in that she is clumsy and a bit insecure but Sarah isn't the naive innocent either. She's not a virgin, nor is she inexperienced, she just really doesn't grasp what she's getting herself into. There are two powerful, gorgeous, charming men, Sarah's boss at the art gallery who is dark and intimidating, a manipulator. There is Chris, a successful artist whom Sarah goes on to have an affair with. At first Chris came across to me as your typical gorgeous, sweet funny hero but it's not long before you see a darker side to him as well. So far it's not a triangle and I hope it doesn't take that direction but I'm willing to follow this through to the end wherever the author decides to take it.

Chalk full of secrets and intrigue I can't wait to see what happens next, highly recommended!

Linda
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read any of her other books to recommend?
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayne wrote:
Have you read any of her other books to recommend?

I sure don't, I was thinking about trying another one of her books and have looked over them a little but so far none have called out to me. I'll probably download some samples and give one or two a try.

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should add it is a great buy. I think I paid $3.99.

But to be honest I am not sure about starting it because I hate waiting for the next book and you are saying Spring 2013. That could fall anywhere from March to June. And if there is a cliff hanger ending, and I enjoy the story i might be in pain waiting for almost a year. What does the M stand for again in BDSM-oh yea, Embarassed maybe I am a little of one, i will decide later tonight if I should start it. Wink
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
You should add it is a great buy. I think I paid $3.99.

But to be honest I am not sure about starting it because I hate waiting for the next book and you are saying Spring 2013. That could fall anywhere from March to June. And if there is a cliff hanger ending, and I enjoy the story i might be in pain waiting for almost a year. What does the M stand for again in BDSM-oh yea, Embarassed maybe I am a little of one, i will decide later tonight if I should start it. Wink

I don't know for sure but I've heard it will be Feb 2013, still that sounds so far off in the future when the wait is torture. However, I'm not sorry I read it because it was so very enjoyable, I bought it in ebook form and just now decided to purchase the print s well. I'm so hooked!

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started it last night. Had zero time to read today, but will get more into it tonight. I really like it so far. Kind of dark...
kmredd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm barely into it but boy is it good so far. What a relief to have a good book again. After FSG nothing was doing it for me. Every book I read was just torture to get through. Thank you Linda. You are a life saver!
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmredd wrote:
I'm barely into it but boy is it good so far. What a relief to have a good book again. After FSG nothing was doing it for me. Every book I read was just torture to get through. Thank you Linda. You are a life saver!

You're welcome! I even wrote the author a quick email to tell her how much I loved the book and I never do that! I was just so grateful to finally find something this special to read after Fifty. Smile

Linda
BookcaseLaura

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved this book too! I think it was better than Fifty Shades because it was so much more complicated and intriguing. Definitely ends with a cliffhanger. The next one comes out February 1...which definitely is too far away, but I think it's going to be worth the wait from what I've read about it.

I've read a bunch of her books, and this is by far my favorite, but I really enjoyed the Tall, Dark & Deadly and Zodius series too if people are looking for suggestions.
Danielle D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed this book also!!!

But then I love all of Lisa's book.

I have to admit that I am one of the few people who have not read FSG.

So many books, so little time

http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/DanniD?ref=profile
http://www.shelfari.com/dani807

Now a Lady of Leisure
Kayne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BookcaseLaura wrote:
I've read a bunch of her books, and this is by far my favorite, but I really enjoyed the Tall, Dark & Deadly and Zodius series too if people are looking for suggestions.

I am really enjoying this book. Thanks so much for the recs. I was at Harlequin and see there she has a new Blaze called Follow My Lead. I am going to try Hot Secrets next.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BookcaseLaura wrote:
I loved this book too! I think it was better than Fifty Shades because it was so much more complicated and intriguing. Definitely ends with a cliffhanger. The next one comes out February 1...which definitely is too far away, but I think it's going to be worth the wait from what I've read about it.

Thanks! I may start with the Tall, Dark and Deadly series next. Smile

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really enjoying this. It's a true gothic, IMO. I just stayed on the treadmill for 2 more miles because I didn't want to stop reading. My body thanks you....lol.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I'm really enjoying this. It's a true gothic, IMO. I just stayed on the treadmill for 2 more miles because I didn't want to stop reading. My body thanks you....lol.

Xina, I was wondering how people might label this story, gothic, mystery, suspense, sexual thriller... all of the above? lol

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on Chapter 7 and don't want to stop for the night. I was going to be getting up at my usual 4:45 to head to the gym but I am thinking tomorrow I can re-arrange my schedule so I can stay up a little longer.

I am loving the ride. I am loving her "interview/test" with Mark (that is his name right?) I like my heroines being outspoken, brave and a little smart arsed even when they don't feel it on the inside. I think because I can so relate to that type of trait Rolling Eyes

My only problem so far is this is a summer job for Sara, but I could of sworn when she was caught in the rain coming home from the storage unit that it was August, which seemed weird to me because she had her last day of school. But I am dyslectic so maybe I got it in my head wrong.

Happy happy happy thanks a million for the recomendation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: