AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Logged errors seen in books
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bookmark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished a book last week that I don't know how it got published because it was full of typos, grammatical mistakes, no commas, etc... This was not the first but the worse of the lot so far. I don't remember print books being this bad with these types of errors. Is it because there's a lot more self-published authors getting through because of the ease of getting digital books out?

I haven't read through all the posts, so sorry if my hypothetical question is redundant.
Eliza

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bookmark wrote:
I just finished a book last week that I don't know how it got published because it was full of typos, grammatical mistakes, no commas, etc... This was not the first but the worse of the lot so far. I don't remember print books being this bad with these types of errors. Is it because there's a lot more self-published authors getting through because of the ease of getting digital books out?

I haven't read through all the posts, so sorry if my hypothetical question is redundant.

I've seen that trend too but thought it had more to do with the economy and fewer proofreaders or copy editors being hired either by an author or a publishing house.

Another random, maybe wild?, thought--do you think all the typos we see regularly on the Internet could have an affect on some people's tolerance levels? Told you it was a wild idea.
bookmark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza, you make me think of my wild random thought that it has to do with the digital age we're in where people text or email using a lot of slangs, abbreviations, and what have you that affects their grammar, spelling, etc...in a negative way, and it's reflected in these newer authors. The typos/ grammar/sentence compositional mistakes I saw was, I believe, from not knowing the basic correct spelling or use of a certain words, sentences, etc... A mistake here and there is justifiable but the same types of mistakes correlates with lack of knowledge of correct usage or rules.
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. Richard Scott, The Secrets of Jackson Glen

"the whole sorted affair" == should have been, "sordid" affair
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: