AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Romantic Suspense without killers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eggletina

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Romantic Suspense without killers Reply with quote

Anyone have recs for Romantic Suspense that doesn't involve the sick, twisted mind of a psychopathic killer? I can only read so many before I need a change of pace. I'm thinking something with international intrigue or uncovering a long buried family secret. Criminals are fine as long as their intent is to get away rather than to kill in cold blood.
JaneO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older books like Barbara Michaels? Or even older, Mary Stewart?

I confess that I don't read Romantic Suspense very often, having hit my limit on revolting psychotic serial killers some time ago. Are any current writers doing anything that raises chills without turning the stomach?
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while, but I think the Elizabeth Lowell book, Tell Me No Lies, did not include a serial or psychotic killer. It's an oldie, though.

Also, I'm reading a book by Marilyn Pappano called Passion that doesn't appear to have that type of killer. I'm only 70 or so pages in, there's been an attempted killing, but there may be a different type of motivation.

I'm sure there are others, but sometimes the details escape me. I'll get back to you if I remember any more.
Yulie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Romantic Suspense without killers Reply with quote

Eggletina wrote:
Anyone have recs for Romantic Suspense that doesn't involve the sick, twisted mind of a psychopathic killer? I can only read so many before I need a change of pace. I'm thinking something with international intrigue or uncovering a long buried family secret. Criminals are fine as long as their intent is to get away rather than to kill in cold blood.

You should probably take a look at this thread from last year. Very Happy
Eggletina

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. Couldn't remember how long ago this was discussed when I started this thread.

I loved Mary Stewart's RS novels when I was young. Still have them all in MMP and go back to them when I can't find anything else. I remember reading some of Barbara Michaels but don't remember which ones.

I have some old Helen McInnes books in my TBR. May have to turn my attention to them. I'd love to find some newer authors in ebook format that are writing more in this vein.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely second some of the older JAK romantic suspense novels (pre-arcane days) such as Absolutely Positively, Family Man, Sweet Fortune, Trust Me, Wildest Hearts, and the Eclipse Bay series. I loved those books. Definitely no evil serial killers and I'm pretty sure no villain POV (and if I'm wrong about the POV, it has to be very brief because I have little tolerance for villain POV).

In the older vein, in addition to reading Mary Stewart, I also read historical suspense by Jane Aiken Hodge. All the ones I read had a strong romance thread.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old suspense, espionage: Helen MacInnes. I believe that she wrote through the 1970s.

I second Jayne Anne Krentz's books. Oops, I third them.

Kay

Last edited by KayWebbHarrison on Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This begs for a new topic thread.
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susanna Kearsley writes books in the same genre as Barbara Michaels and Mary Stewart. There are mysteries, romance and suspense but no psycho killers and body parts. I highly recommend her if you are a Michaels/Stewart fan.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard did not involve a psychotic killer. There is a romance here.

Maisie Dobbs by Jaqueline Winspear doesn't involve one that I remember. Some Romance.

The Girl is Murder by Kathryn Miller Haines No romance but a great read.

What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell Same as above.

Most of The Cat Who books deal with simple crimes, not crazed killers. Varrying romances.

Diane Mott Davidson's Goldy series starting with Catering to Nobody does not inovolve psychotic killers. I started with Death by Chocolate which is the far better book. Wasn't lost at all. Lovely romance runs throughout the series.

Cozies tend not to deal with psycho's. They do deal with killers but the killer tends to have a "logical" reason for the crime and we don't get their POV.

For a definition of cozies and a site that discusses them specifically go here http://cozy-mystery.com/Definition-of-a-Cozy-Mystery.html

maggie b.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: