AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Characters who are redeemed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maryskl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Characters who are redeemed Reply with quote

I am posting on another board about characters who begin as "evil" but end up redeemed in the end. The discussion morphed to gender. Are women more forgiving of male characters and willing to buy into their redemption than they are female characters? Which also brought up the point of redeemed female characters in literature. I am having a difficult time coming up with female characters who were redeemed and I actually bought into that redemption. Any thoughts?
LeeB.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Sandy Hingston did a great job with her bad to good heroine in The Suitor. http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=4720
library addict

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Justine Davis' The Sky Pirate which I thought was an okay book, but did not enjoy nearly as much as the first book Lord of the Storm.
maryskl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarlett O'Hara!
jaime

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been my experience in real life that women tend to be harder on other women than men. I am sure the same is true for fictional women.

What are some examples of redeemed male characters in fiction? And by redeemed I mean redeemed and still alive at the end - not like poor Sydney Carton in A Tale Of Two Cities...who wasn't a villain but somebody who had wasted his life until he fell for the heroine.

Some redeemed males that come to mind are the protagonist of The Dedicated Villain by Patricia Veryan and St Vincent from Kleypas' The Devil In Winter.

As for redeemed females - how about the heroine of Jennifer Crusie's Ain't She Sweet...
PWNN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet in order for the Roland to be redeemed in The Dedicated Villain he had to be tortured and lose some body parts. I'd rather stay bad. Razz
JMM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Female characters are judged MUCH harsher than male characters - especially by female readers. It's sad.
jaime

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWNN wrote:
Yet in order for the Roland to be redeemed in The Dedicated Villain he had to be tortured and lose some body parts. I'd rather stay bad. Razz

True.

There are certain so-called romance heroes I would have loved to lose some body parts. Namely their penises. Twisted Evil
maryskl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaime wrote:
PWNN wrote:

True.

There are certain so-called romance heroes I would have loved to lose some body parts. Namely their penises. Twisted Evil

LOL!
JMM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maryskl wrote:
jaime wrote:
PWNN wrote:

True.

LOL!

Actually, most romance "heroes" just have to mumble a half-a$$ed apology - or look like they might feel a teensy-tiny bit bad, and other characters rush to forgive them so they don't have to actually face any consequences.

Or there's the "I'm sorry, BUT" apology, in which the hero explains that it's not his fault he destroyed lives and sowed salt through the ruins - it's evil Mommy!
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Balogh's Helena in The Christmas Bride and Edith Layton's Annabelle in To Wed a Stranger were both redeemed from earlier bad behavior. Neither was a total villain, but in earlier books they did break hearts (Annabelle) or traumatize the earlier book's somewhat fragile hero (Helena).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: