AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are some contrived plot or cop-out you can name?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bookmark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: What are some contrived plot or cop-out you can name? Reply with quote

For me, heroines married to impotent or gay heroes is a contrived way to keep the heroine virginal or "innocent".

I'm speaking of historical romances, since that's what I read. However, I do remember one contemporary I read in the past whereby the hero's 1st wife was discovered to be a lesbian after the marriage. Of course, she conveniently died.

I mean I know it's absolutely within the realm of possibility for that to happen. But still...

While I do admit to liking the predestined mate plot in paranormals, I do think it's lazy and contrived way of explaining that instant attraction/love.
JMM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eeeevvviiilll Husband who miraculously drops dead (without the hero/ine having anything to do with it) so the couple can have a pretty perfect life. I'd rather have the hero and heroine run off together and live in sin anonymously.
chris booklover

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: What are some contrived plot or cop-out you can name? Reply with quote

bookmark wrote:
For me, heroines married to impotent or gay heroes is a contrived way to keep the heroine virginal or "innocent".

This, like a number of other plot devices, can be a cop out, but it is not necessarily one. See, for example, Sherry Thomas's Beguiling The Beauty. The heroine was not a virgin, since she had been married before. She also had valid reasons for marrying her second husband.
JaneO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What are some contrived plot or cop-out you can name? Reply with quote

bookmark wrote:
I do remember one contemporary I read in the past whereby the hero's 1st wife was discovered to be a lesbian after the marriage.

LOL! I know these people. Twice. The wives got married.
graceC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In historical: the working class, untitled, hero / heroine who (after so much issue has been made about his/her lack of status) suddenly receives huge inheritance AND title from long lost relative, thus clearing the way for a happy ending with his/her much richer / titled beloved. I am getting real tired of this over-used easy way out.
LordRose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding to that, how about all the footmen and stable boys that are really dukes in disguise? For once, I'd like to see a footman hero who really is a footman. (I think I've read one, and even in that he was a sailor on the run from an enemy.)
Dreaming of You

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate when the heroine conveniently gets into a life threatening situation towards the end of the book so the hero can suddenly realize that he's in love with her.
Ash

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it when paranormal elements pop up out of nowhere in the middle of a otherwise normal book in order to resolve a difficult situation or to provide some desperately needed epiphany or excitement.
JudyZ6666

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Miracle Cure.

Voila, you can SEE!

Voila, you can WALK!

Particularly when that was the only true conflict between the hero and heroine. I'd rather see them overcome it themselves. It's the same as "Voila, you're a DUKE!"

Judy
JMM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a competent heroine suddenly turns into an idiot/helpless damsel at the end of the book so the HERO can rescue her.
bookmark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought of another one. I think it's a bit of a cop out for hero/ine to always be so incredibly open minded during their time of religious persecution, racial intolerance, etc... I am not saying they have to be bigots, religious fanatics, whatnot. They can maybe start out believing like everyone else, but then grow & become more enlightened people.
Vol Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably have a completely different cop-out belief than most everyone else. What drives me nuts is the thrown in sex too quickly, too graphic and/or too long. I've read books with pages and pages of one sex act where it seems as if the writer was using it just as filler for the book, rather than moving story or characters along.

I'm no prude and I don't mind sex scenes. I just want them to be appropriate to the story and short. I want a character driven story, with a very good and strong plot. If I want to read a sex story, I will read an erotica book. I've just always felt that lots of sex in a book is a cop-out and lazy writers too many times.
Lillian Sulivan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's all those titled fathers who have conveniently keeled over while their 6'4", handsome, dark haired, blue eyed, single sons are still in their early twenties. Honestly, one would think Scotland Yard would investigate!

I haven't run into this very often, but it's guaranteed to make me toss the book: miscarrying the baby that isn't the hero's. IMO: ugh! ick!

Dreaming of You wrote:
I hate when the heroine conveniently gets into a life threatening situation towards the end of the book so the hero can suddenly realize that he's in love with her.

The companion device is the hero getting deathly injured or gravely ill so the heroine can suddenly realize that she's in love with him.

But ultimately this comes down to 'conveniently' for me. If done well, this standard western literature device provides the dark moment, the epiphany, conflict resolution, the exciting conclusion and the HEA portal - and I like all those things!

Best,
Lilly
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lillian Sulivan wrote:

I haven't run into this very often, but it's guaranteed to make me toss the book: miscarrying the baby that isn't the hero's. IMO: ugh! ick!

Best,
Lilly

I remember a few books where the baby's biological father was a relative of the hero. The guy conveniently dies around the time the heroine realizes she's pregnant so the hero can act heroic, step in, and marry her to save her reputation. Sometimes the dead father was a cad, but sometimes he was a good guy. When that's the case, I feel doubly sorry -- not only did he lose his life but he has also lost the possibility of living on in a child. I remember one book (although I forget the title), where the younger son was charming and sweet, and his mother was devastated at his death. She would have been ecstatic to have a grandchild by him, but the author evidently thought that the Rules of Romance prohibited the heroine from having children by anyone other than the hero, his elder brother.
PWNN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That leads another plot device I hate - why the need to kill off good significant others because the H/h are supposedly too "good" to do the hard dirty work themselves and just end an inconvenient relationship? Why in Romance-landia is better to be dead than dumped if you're oh so unlucky not to be the #1 choice or the designated H/h? This plot device rankles more when it's family or supposed bets friends..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: