AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's with the dearth of DIKs recently?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jessi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: What's with the dearth of DIKs recently? Reply with quote

Is it just me or have there been fewer DIK reviews here at AAR recently? Are we just in an authorship slump? A publishing slump? (e.g. publishers only allowing a certain formula...thus leading to repetitiousness and boredom) or are AAR reviewers just getting stricter? No matter the cause(s) of the DIK slump (if there is one) do you think these things happen in cycles?
Lizzie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a visit to my local UBS last Saturday. When I walked in the owner said "are you bringing me more boring books?" As an avid reader herself she feels the releases this summer have been extremely boring and her readers are saying the same thing.

I usually purchase 4 or 5 books a month. I have purchased three books the entire summer and two of them were amazingly boring.

Perhaps the AAR reviewers feel the same way.
Jean Wan AAR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking personally, I just gave 4 DIKs in the last 4 months, two back-to-back and new releases. Which is very unusual for me. So yes, it goes in cycles. I remember once we had about 30 Cs and Ds in a row before we finally broke with a B.
Lynda X

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this summer has been VERY dry for me too, even authors that I usually like. I just thought it was me. It seems everything is same-old, same-old. I've taken to rereading really old books.

Jean, remind us, please about what you liked so much lately.
Jean Wan AAR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynda X wrote:
Yeah, this summer has been VERY dry for me too, even authors that I usually like. I just thought it was me. It seems everything is same-old, same-old. I've taken to rereading really old books.

Jean, remind us, please about what you liked so much lately.

You mean my own DIKs, particularly?

I actually think, though, we've had quite a few B+s too, and some B+s that were definite DIKs for others (Sherry Thomas' Ravishing the Heiress comes to mind). Here's a list of the reviews in the last 45 days http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/newreviews.pl
Jessi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the most recent AAR Eagerly Awaiting blog post (one of my most favorite features of this site) I am feeling VERY hopeful the slump will end in September. Jo Goodman, Meljean Brooks, and a new Eloisa James all in one month!!! Squeeeeeeee!
Natalie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to my world! Haven't had a really good DIK year since 2008. This year actually was pretty decent, mostly thanks to a few YA authors. The only traditional historical that's truly stood out for my so far is Meredith Duran's At Your Pleasure. I've had some luck with mixed genre books (i.e. Ilona Andrews).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: