AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are some contrived plot or cop-out you can name?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or OW/OM turns into Psycho-lunatic so the hero/ine doesn't have to do the "dirty work" of ending a relationship.

For heaven's sake! People, even GOOD people, do break up with other GOOD people.

And the occasional "heroine must have only the HERO'S child" bit bugs me. I remember being really irritated at an old book in which the hero DEMANDED to adopt heroine's children because he wanted them to have HIS name - he came off as controlling; the heroine's late husband was described as a good guy she loved.
bookmark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The accidental virgin, especially in contemporaries, is a cop out. The ones who are virgins because they were too busy with work, taking care of relatives, etc... Again, not saying it's impossible. But what's wrong with having a grown female be a virgin because of her beliefs, whether it be religious or personal.
MEK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bookmark wrote:
. But what's wrong with having a grown female be a virgin because of her beliefs, whether it be religious or personal.

I agree! An author I remember who handles this well is Pamela Clare in Naked Edge. Her Navajo character Katherine took a personal stand to remain a virgin and stated her position without any reservations or embarrassment. How refreshing!
JaneO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get annoyed when the McGuffin, the thing that everyone's chasing that sets the plot in motion in the first place (frequently some sort of magical doodad), just gets dropped somewhere along the way. As if everyone decides, "Oh well, it wasn't really all that important anyway."
Jessi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

immortal or near-immortal characters making their every move in reaction to something that happened 700 years ago. Isn't there ANYTHING that has happened to you in the last 660 years that makes you interesting? I'm sorry your family was slaughtered when you were 30 and you were turned into a vampire (werewolf/whatever) against your will...but in the last 660 years you must have seen a LOT of death and horror since then to put it all in perspective - no?
Cora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bookmark wrote:
The accidental virgin, especially in contemporaries, is a cop out. The ones who are virgins because they were too busy with work, taking care of relatives, etc... Again, not saying it's impossible. But what's wrong with having a grown female be a virgin because of her beliefs, whether it be religious or personal.

Actually, most "older", i.e. in their 20s and maybe even early 30s, virgins I've met in real life had remained virgins for exactly those reasons. The right guy (or girl for the heterosexual male virgins) just never come along and they were too busy with life to actively go looking for them.

Religiously motivated virgins are much rarer, at least in these parts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: