AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me to visualize Freyja from Mary Balogh's Bedwyn Saga
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mirole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Help me to visualize Freyja from Mary Balogh's Bedwyn Saga Reply with quote

I am reading Slightly Scandalous and loving it.

As I understand, she is not very popular among readers but I liked her already in Slightly Married - she is very different and although haughty at times, she is always fair.

But I have trouble visualizing her. She has almost blond hair, very dark eyebrows, green eyes and dark complexion. This is very unusual colouring and I cannot remember seeing anybody like that in my life.

I would be grateful if someone gave me an example of an actress/TV personality with such colouring (I am not looking for an actress who could play her, I know there is the family nose too, but would like to know if women with looks like that exist).
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me to visualize Freyja from Mary Balogh's Bedwyn Sa Reply with quote

mirole wrote:

As I understand, she is not very popular among readers but I liked her already in Slightly Married - she is very different and although haughty at times, she is always fair.

But I have trouble visualizing her. She has almost blond hair, very dark eyebrows, green eyes and dark complexion. This is very unusual colouring and I cannot remember seeing anybody like that in my life.

I would be grateful if someone gave me an example of an actress/TV personality with such colouring (I am not looking for an actress who could play her, I know there is the family nose too, but would like to know if women with looks like that exist).

I pictured a very young Barbara Streisand...as in, "Hello Dolly". I've always thought she was gorgeous, even though she doesn't fit the perfectly pretty heroine. I really enjoyed Balogh writing a heroine that wasn't the cookie cutter-looking heroine. Great book BTW...
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara Streisand? What a great thought. Barbara is what I think the French would refer to as a "jolie laide" Jolie having the sense of pretty or attractive, at least, and laide actually meaning ugly in literal terms. That does capture the sense of Freya very well. With Freya I always had the feeling that a huge amount of her attraction lay in the power of her personality. I've been reading Rosemary Baird's Mistress of the House, a social history of 18th century aristocratic women and the homes they created and commanded. I think a few of them would have come into this category.

Elizabeth
mirole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Xina and Elizabeth.

I would like to have more suggestions but as I suspected this type of colouring is very rare.

Elizabeth, I have this book and plan to read it one day too.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Sarra Fleur?

When I think "dark complexion" for a non-POC, it usually means olive toned.
Rosie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might've nailed it, NoirFemme.

And YAY for more Freyja fans.
LFL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a young Kristin Scott Thomas (best known for her role in The English Patient)?

Image: [url] http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3714233088/nm0000218 [/url].
PWNN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Kirstin Thomas is pretty much an opposite of Freya - long lean cool and elegant.

Alex Kingston - with a bit larger nose - is more my concept of Freya

Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me to visualize Freyja from Mary Balogh's Bedwyn Sa Reply with quote

mirole wrote:

Just my .02 but I think the term dark complexion can be misleading. She is probably dark compared to the alabaster beauty admired in that day, which was nearly white as a sheet. Freya was an outdoorsy girl who played cricket, raced horses, swam and got a lot of sun. So when they say dark they mean tan, something we today would be used to seeing.

maggie b.
mirole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

PWNN: Alex Kingston is great, I haven't thought of her. She fits, down to green eyes. I can imagine her a bit younger and it's very close to Freyja.

Maggie b.: I also started to think that maybe that's why she has dark complexion - due to being outdoors so much.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirole wrote:

Maggie b.: I also started to think that maybe that's why she has dark complexion - due to being outdoors so much.

Yes, that is what I was going to suggest. It has been years since I read this book, but as I remember she spent a lot of time outdoors and didn't have the creamy skin of a woman who covered herself to prevent any sort of tan.
iluvarake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept picturing a slightly plumper Sarah Jessica Parker but I love the Alex Kingston idea.
clutterconqueror

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on the subject of Freyja, just how is that pronounced?
Rosie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's pronounced Free-ya. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
iluvarake

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed it was Fray-uh but that's just an assumption.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: