AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gone Girl- is it worth buying?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirole wrote:
You guys made me so intrigued by this book (HEA or no HEA I donít care Ė itís a different genre) that I went and placed a hold on this book in the librarary.

Can you imagine there are only 40 copies for the whole Toronto library system and 1,060 holds! So I donít know when thatís going to happen. I will be monitoring Chapters.ca for drop of prices for print books and Kobo too.

They probably didn't anticipate the popularity of the book. Not sure when the orders are placed, but I would imagine before it became so high on the booklists. One good thing is that most don't let the book sit. It's a book you really stick with and finish in a few days....then return it to the library for the next person! Smile
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirole wrote:
You guys made me so intrigued by this book (HEA or no HEA I donít care Ė itís a different genre) that I went and placed a hold on this book in the librarary.

Can you imagine there are only 40 copies for the whole Toronto library system and 1,060 holds! So I donít know when thatís going to happen. I will be monitoring Chapters.ca for drop of prices for print books and Kobo too.

And I thought 123 holds was ridiculous! BTW it came today, but I am saving it till the weekend!!!
oklanannie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the author, Gillian Flynn, on one of the morning news shows, and after their interview with her, I decided to take the plunge.

I AM SO GLAD I DID! And yes, to me it was worth the $$$.

If you want good writing, great suspense, and characters who become real to you, this is it! It was a hardship to put the book aside when duties called. This was a new-to-me-author. I'm going to read her other two books as soon as I can get them.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG !!! This book is amazing....so twisty and twisted! So worth the money! I've got 100a pages left and don't dare to think I know how it will end:)
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwm in mi wrote:
OMG !!! This book is amazing....so twisty and twisted! So worth the money! I've got 100a pages left and don't dare to think I know how it will end:)

My daughter is reading it now, and she has gotten to the chapter where everything changes. Do you see why it would be a difficult book to review? I've advised whoever is reading it to not read reviews until finished.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
pwm in mi wrote:

My daughter is reading it now, and she has gotten to the chapter where everything changes. Do you see why it would be a difficult book to review? I've advised whoever is reading it to not read reviews until finished.

Absolutely! No way you can generally summarize and keep a lid on plott twists. It is a compulsive read. I am away on a girls weekend and both girlfriends have been shushing me when I break out with "oh my gosh.." stopping me because they both want to read it.
xina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwm in mi wrote:

Absolutely! No way you can generally summarize and keep a lid on plott twists. It is a compulsive read. I am away on a girls weekend and both girlfriends have been shushing me when I break out with "oh my gosh.." stopping me because they both want to read it.

It's a book you can't discuss normally. You can talk about the plot, but only to a point. Can't discuss the middle of the book because it would give away a very important point in the book. Can't talk about leading up to the ending, because...it's a little crazy.
Margaret

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this isn't old news...Just saw an interview with Flynn on The View. Reese Witherspoon has bought Gone Girl and it seems she will play Amy.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
Hope this isn't old news...Just saw an interview with Flynn on The View. Reese Witherspoon has bought Gone Girl and it seems she will play Amy.

Perfect fit. Small, blonde and her acting personality fits the character beautifully.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:

What a great choice! I was wondering how long it would take Hollywood to option the book. I think if done well she could end up with another oscar nom. Lots of range in the character!
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the recommendations for this book. I do enjoy mysteries and this one definitely has me intrigued. Has anyone listened to it in audio? I'm considering downloading the audio version.
Diana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinnieGayl wrote:
Thanks for all the recommendations for this book. I do enjoy mysteries and this one definitely has me intrigued. Has anyone listened to it in audio? I'm considering downloading the audio version.

The audio is excellent! I'm so glad they went with two narrators for the alternating POVs. I wasn't familiar with the male narrator but he's very good. Julia Whelan read Nora's The Witness and I'd swear she is also Sophia Eastlake, narrator for Thea Harrison's Dragon series.

It's time to start a spoiler thread!
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana wrote:
LinnieGayl wrote:

The audio is excellent! I'm so glad they went with two narrators for the alternating POVs. I wasn't familiar with the male narrator but he's very good. Julia Whelan read Nora's The Witness and I'd swear she is also Sophia Eastlake, narrator for Thea Harrison's Dragon series.

Thanks, Diana! I'll definitely read it in audio.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana wrote:

That would be fun. Where to put it? Which board?
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I was #93 on the list for Gone Girl, I was able to get one of our library's seven-day copies. Yay. I'm probably a bit more than half-way through and it's just as great as everyone is saying it is. I, too, will be ready for a spoilers thread and I'm sure it can be on this same forum because it's discussing a certain book. Whoever begins it, just make sure the subject title has the word "spoilers" in it. I probably won't be to that point until tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: