AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Outlander is being adapted as a cable miniseries
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PWNN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These cable short series are pretty much the equivalent of what the old mini-series used to be like. Game Of Thrones has I think 8 episodes a year and that would probably be the optimal format for Outlander. It would never have worked as a 2 hour movie (Gone With The Wind was almost 4). If it's successful they can do the other books in a similar manner.

I LOVED DS9 - it's my favorite new Star Trek (the original being in a class of it's own) and have heard so many great things about the revamped Battlestar Gallactica so it sounds like the series is in good hands.

I agree that casting. There won't be any movie starts in it unless they're on the downside of stardom. It will be mostly unknowns, TV actors or hopefully theater actors.

Last edited by PWNN on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely think they would need to do it as a series with each year dedicated to a book, like Game of Thrones.

[quote="merryweather"]I doubt I'm the only one here who has been dream casting Outlander for ages--I have to admit I was a huge proponent of Chris Hemsworth for Jamie on her Facebook page for their casting discussions and voting.

I just saw Thor this weekend and Chris would be a very nice choice as Jaime in terms of physical appearance. I have not scene enough of his work to know if he has the acting chops to convey Jaimie's sensitivity, and the darker moments in his life.

So I always screw up the quote thingys:)
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, Jamie is someone different to each reader so there's no way they're going to make everyone happy. I just hope that they don't fall too far from the mark, though I'm more concerned with them hacking up the plot rather than the character's looks. We shall see!

I can see Chris Hemsworth as Jamie!

Linda
merryweather

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwm in mi wrote:

I just saw Thor this weekend and Chris would be a very nice choice as Jaime in terms of physical appearance. I have not scene enough of his work to know if he has the acting chops to convey Jaimie's sensitivity, and the darker moments in his life.

So I always screw up the quote thingys:)

Just make sure the close-quote symbols are at the end of any quote you choose -- [/quote] and that the first part has this--[quote="person's name"] at the beginning and it should work.

I just saw Chris Hemsworth in Snow White and the Huntsman, and while Kristen Stewart was a dud (imho), Chris sported a nice Scottish accent and was definitely darker than the Thor character. Diana Galbadon has commented that she's not a big fan of Hemsworth for Jamie, and I doubt he would do a TV series anyhow, but from the moment I saw him in Thor, I knew he would be Jamie in my mind forever
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
Eliza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The thing is, Jamie is someone different to each reader so there's no way they're going to make everyone happy.

I agree with Linda. I remember some readers on another board casting Jamie many years ago, and Diana Gabaldon had chimed in back then in a rather straightforward, perhaps frustrated way, saying to picture a basketball player, not a football player. I had always seen Jamie as tall, but I thought of him as "chestier" (is that a word?) than the average basketball player. Oh well...

I hope whoever is cast ends up having something like the twinkling-eye, fun-loving expression Ewan McGregor often has when he's cutting up, like when he's on Craig Ferguson's show. I'm betting on an unknown actor for the role myself.
Sandy AAR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share someone else's (sorry but I've forgotten who), but I will believe it when I see it, too. This was first announced as an ABC miniseries more than 10 years ago and nothing happened.

The writer appears to have close ties with SyFy, so I'm guessing the HBO dreams are just that. Dreams.

Quality varies pretty dramatically on SyFy, from those deliberately cheesy Saturday night movies to some pretty good series. Let's hope Outlander will be a good one. I know SyFy has a lot of shows that appeal to women, so that, too, would make Outlander a draw for them.

As for casting, all my choices are too old now or, in the case of Heath Ledger, dead. He had the most entrancing smile and the first time I saw it, I thought of young Jamie. I'd also like to see Julianna Margulies as an older Claire. That's not gonna happen either.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy AAR wrote:

As for casting, all my choices are too old now or, in the case of Heath Ledger, dead. He had the most entrancing smile and the first time I saw it, I thought of young Jamie. I'd also like to see Julianna Margulies as an older Claire. That's not gonna happen either.

I would hope for HBO to pick up this series, only because I watch True Blood. They do not follow the original book series (an understatement), but they seem to have the freedom to do whatever they like. As for casting, I agree that my previous choices are not viable anymore for the parts. Older Claire...I could see Ashley Judd in that role. Ten years ago, Judd was far too young, and now....well, maybe.
LFL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of Outlander, but I loved the new Battlestar Galactica. Time Magazine and Rolling Stone both called it "The best show on television" at one point, the writing and acting was so good (then again they had Mary McDonnell and Edward James Olmos in the cast). OTOH, the sequel, Caprica, which was also written by Moore, disappointed me. I still might have to tune into this though.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
[I would hope for HBO to pick up this series, only because I watch True Blood. They do not follow the original book series (an understatement), but they seem to have the freedom to do whatever they like. .

IF HBO had it I don't think we'd have to worry about them glossing anything over from the books, that's for sure, lol. I keep remembering what DG had to say about abridged audio books and how the things they cut first are the sex scenes and anything remotely controversial. HBO injects more sex, blood and controversy into the True Blood series, conservative they are not.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
xina wrote:
[I would hope for HBO to pick up this series, only because I watch True Blood. They do not follow the original book series (an understatement), but they seem to have the freedom to do whatever they like. .

IF HBO had it I don't think we'd have to worry about them glossing anything over from the books, that's for sure, lol. I keep remembering what DG had to say about abridged audio books and how the things they cut first are the sex scenes and anything remotely controversial. HBO injects more sex, blood and controversy into the True Blood series, conservative they are not.

Linda

I agree...I think HBO would be a great home for Outlander. One can only hope. I would love that. True Blood really has free rein, and I would like to see that with this series.
shelf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Gerard Butler really being considered? I read the book a while back and I was sure Jamie was young and boyish especially compared to the heroine, so that would be a disaster. Even Hemsworth seems too old (but rather him than Butler who I just don't find attractive). I'm surprised the bigger companies aren't wanting to make this into a big epic considering how successful and well-received the books were?
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw an update on this, looks like it's going to be a series and it's been picked up by Starz.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/outlander-tv-series-starz-ron-moore-sony/

Linda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: