AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Outlander is being adapted as a cable miniseries
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Outlander is being adapted as a cable miniseries Reply with quote

Looks like they've chosen a writer and are going to be shopping the script around.
http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/ron-moore-to-adapt-outlander-novels-into-cable-tv-series/

Last edited by Sandlynn on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
xina

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is wonderful news. After all these years...finally. Here's hoping they do a good job with casting and script. Smile
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my gosh that's so cool!! Yay! Very Happy

Linda
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A series is the way to go, but considering how many times this book has been optioned for film, I'll believe it when I see it.
goldberry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on who is cast as Jamie. And if I get the cable station!
Holly Bush

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear to God if they cast Tom Cruise, I'm going to kill somebody. He's cast as Jack Reacher in the first of the Lee Child books to go to film and there absolutely couldn't have been a worse choice.

He better not be Jamie!
Trish B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could turn into a "be careful what you wish for" type of thing . . .

Totally agree with the Tom Cruise comment.
Cora

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They shouldn't cast an American as Jamie at all. After all, it's not as if there aren't plenty of young attractive Scottish actors who would at least sound authentic.

Still, with Ron Moore attached to this, I don't have high hopes for the project. I'm still angry about what Moore did to my childhood favourite Battlestar Galactica and Deep Space 9 was crap as well.
Outlandish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Outlander being adapted as a cable miniseries Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
Looks like they've chosen a writer and are going to be shopping the script around.
http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/ron-moore-to-adapt-outlander-novels-into-cable-tv-series/

If done right, the TV rendition of Outlander would be phenomenal, but the likelihood of it NOT meeting our exception is HUGE. The casting has to be nearly perfect (Jamie particularly) and the story has got to reflect the book itself.

The opportunity for failure is so high that I'm skeptical to look into it.

That aside, congratulations to Diana! For you, I wish this idea bears many fruitful products.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone has posted an open letter to Sony and Ron Moore to their blog. (Let the games begin!)

http://www.myoutlanderpurgatory.com/2012/07/please-do-right-by-jamie-fraser_17.html
xina

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
Someone has posted an open letter to Sony and Ron Moore to their blog. (Let the games begin!)

http://www.myoutlanderpurgatory.com/2012/07/please-do-right-by-jamie-fraser_17.html

Here we go....lol
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be tough for sure but hope springs eternal! Smile

Linda
MEK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm scared. The only book series that has translated well to video IMO is the Lord of the Rings.
merryweather

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt I'm the only one here who has been dream casting Outlander for ages--I have to admit I was a huge proponent of Chris Hemsworth for Jamie on her Facebook page for their casting discussions and voting. (Anyone but Gerard Butler, imo.) This is how I picture the casting for Gone With the Wind felt--people were freaking out about Rhett and Scarlett (an English gal for the ultimate Southern belle? Whaa?)

But the thing is--a movie cast is very different than a mini-series cast and I am pretty sure they will not get a Tom Cruise-type to be in it especially since it (Lord willing) the show will run for many seasons. I think we will have a better chance of a fresh face who will suit the part better than a big name. The books are so popular that they are already going to draw much interest--they hopefully won't need some fading movie star to pump up ratings.

I'm very hopeful because the story is not going to be crammed into a two hour movie. At least they will have the luxury of time to get deep into the book--and there is plenty of material to keep a show running for years.
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but I don't get the impression that they're developing a series, but a miniseries, meaning there is a definite number of episodes and an ending. Sort of like the old, Rich Man/Poor Man or Lonesome Dove, or that recent miniseries about the Hatfields and McCoys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: