AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

His Mistletoe Bride - Vanessa Kelly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: His Mistletoe Bride - Vanessa Kelly Reply with quote

I love a good Christmas Regency and am often willing to be less critical of these stories in the spirit of the season. That said, I have to agree w/Blythe's assessment of this book. It didn't take me a month to read but longer than it usually takes. I think a "C" is a fair grade.

I liked Phoebe better than Lucas, too, but neither really clicked with me. I also wasn't crazy about the smuggling plot even though it was plausible considering the times. What really bothered me about this story was Lucas' reaction to Esme. I guess I am tired of grown men who swear off love and marriage based on 1 failed relationship in their youth. Get over it! Who amongst us has not had a failed romance in their past? It is just so juvenile to carry on so and judge all women against the one who dumped you. Geez! And I agree that the feud between Lucas and Silverton was silly. This book just didn't work for me.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read this book, but I thought Quakers didn't celebrate Christmas. Are the Christmas elements integral to the story/characters, or window dressing?
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoirFemme wrote:
I haven't read this book, but I thought Quakers didn't celebrate Christmas. Are the Christmas elements integral to the story/characters, or window dressing?

This was another aspect of the book that I found unrealistic. Phoebe seemed to easily leave her Quaker upbringing and beliefs by the wayside awfully easily. They surface when it is convenient for her to win an argument w/Lucas or to foster her own agenda. IMHO she wasn't overly sincere or committed to her beliefs.

She seemed to know a lot about Christmas and holiday traditions for someone who had never celebrated them before and took over the planning, decorating, etc. at Mistletoe Manor. I thought the whole Quaker aspect of Phoebe was window dressing. The whole idea of celebrating Christmas was given a lot of play in the second half of the book once they arrive at Mistletoe Manor, but I really didn't get a warm, fuzzy Christmas feeling from this story. Like I said, it just didn't work for me.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinabelle wrote:

This was another aspect of the book that I found unrealistic. Phoebe seemed to easily leave her Quaker upbringing and beliefs by the wayside awfully easily. They surface when it is convenient for her to win an argument w/Lucas or to foster her own agenda. IMHO she wasn't overly sincere or committed to her beliefs.

She seemed to know a lot about Christmas and holiday traditions for someone who had never celebrated them before and took over the planning, decorating, etc. at Mistletoe Manor. I thought the whole Quaker aspect of Phoebe was window dressing. The whole idea of celebrating Christmas was given a lot of play in the second half of the book once they arrive at Mistletoe Manor, but I really didn't get a warm, fuzzy Christmas feeling from this story. Like I said, it just didn't work for me.

Ah, I thought so. A shame, since the plot sounds like it should have been an intriguing read. :/
Lillian Sulivan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, the heroine being a Regency-era Quaker would perfectly explain her unfamiliarity with zippers, which would in turn explain the dress on the front cover.

Best,
Lilly
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lillian Sulivan wrote:
On the other hand, the heroine being a Regency-era Quaker would perfectly explain her unfamiliarity with zippers, which would in turn explain the dress on the front cover.

Best,
Lilly

Were zippers mentioned in the book? Were zippers even invented by the Regency?
PatW

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:
Lillian Sulivan wrote:

Best,
Lilly

Nope - invented in 1851, modern adaption invented in 1913, improved in 1917, popularized by the 1930s. From an "About.com" article on the history of the zipper.
Lillian Sulivan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:

No and no, which, as I suggested, would explain why our Regency era Quaker heroine is flummoxed by the zipper up the back of the prom dress she's wearing on the front cover.

Best,
Lilly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: