AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Romances set in Scandinavia or with Scandinavian characters
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kim76

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Romances set in Scandinavia or with Scandinavian characters Reply with quote

Looking for contemporary romances set in Scandinavia and beyond (Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Iceland, and Finland) or featuring a hero from or heroine from those countries.

Obviously Viking romances are a thing, but I've never found a good contemporary romance set in those countries.

Any recs?

Thanks,
Kim T.
library addict

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of Nora Roberts' Three Fates takes place in Helsinki, but I wouldn't consider it really a Scandinavian book since most of the main characters are American and the other is Irish.

I have Patricia Hagan's Ocean of Dreams in my TBR pile. But no idea if it is any good or not. The hero is Norwegian and the book is set on a cruise to Norway.
Manda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pamela Clare's latest, Striking Distance, has a Swedish heroine.
willaful

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fall Hard by J.L. Merrow. Set in Iceland, lots about their mythology.
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick locale search in my copy of BYRON, then cut the results down to contemporary or recent historical romances. I have no idea about the quality of any of them.

Locale: Sweden
AIRS ABOVE THE GROUND; Mary Stewart; 6/1965; Rom/C/S
ICE AT HEART; Sophie Weston; 6/1994; Rom/C
SWEDISH FOR BEGINNERS: A Novel; Susanne O'Leary; 9/2010; Rom/C
U.S. MALE; Kristin Hardy; 8/2005; Rom/C
YESTERDAY's LOVE; Marsha Manning; ; Rom/C

Locale: Norway
HEAVEN AROUND THE CORNER; Betty Neels; 1983; Rom/C
HEAVEN ROUND THE CORNER; Betty Neels; 10/1981; Rom/C
THE IMPERIOUS WOMAN; Robert Horneman; 11/2005; Rom/C
LISTEN FOR THE WHISPERER; Phyllis A. Whitney; 1972; Rom/S
MIDNIGHT SUN's MAGIC; Betty Neels; 8/1979; Rom/C
A RECKLESS ATTRACTION; Kay Thorpe; 2/1994; Rom/C
SEA CHANGES; Kay Stephens; 12/2003; Rom/H-WW2
TEMPORARY BOSS, PERMANENT MISTRESS; Kate Hardy; 10/2009; Rom/C

Locale: Finland
DARE TO LOVE; Glenna Finley; 6/1977; Rom/C
THE RAINBOW CHASE; Kris Karron; 6/1981; Rom/C
SEIZED BY LOVE; Susan Johnson; 2/1979; Rom/H-Edwardian
SISTERCHICKS ON THE LOOSE!; Robin Jones Gunn; 5/2003; Rom/C/Insp/Humor
THE WILDERNESS HUT; Mary Wibberley; 4/1976; Rom/C
puce

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two in my TBR pile set in Norway with Norwegian heroes: Travelling Light by Sandra Field (1994) and Relative Strangers by Jessica Steele (1987).
PatW

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elsie Lee's Barrow Sinister is set in Sweden (I think). Written in the late 1960s,it has a Gothic mystery feel, but does include a romance.
You can get this as used book thru Amazon.
MMcA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did a quick locale search in my copy of BYRON, then cut the results down to contemporary or recent historical romances. I have no idea about the quality of any of them.

Locale: Sweden
AIRS ABOVE THE GROUND; Mary Stewart; 6/1965; Rom/C/S

I'm not sure Byron's right about that - from memory I think it's set in Austria - the 'Airs above the Ground' being the dance performed by the horses in the Spanish Riding School in Vienna (at the time the book was set: I don't know if it's there now.)
KataO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Finland with Love by Ellie Alanko

Hip Check by Deirdre Martin. It has Finnish icehockey player. (it's been reviewed here)
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behind Closed Doors by Bettina Krahn has a Swedish hero. Part of the book is set in Elizabethan England and part in Sweden.
ponadog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angela Wells wrote "Viking Magic" as part of the Harlequin Presents series Postcards From Europe in 1994. The hero is Danish and wonderfully stoic yet deeply passionate in a way that only some Scandinavian men can be. The nation of Denmark is a huge "character" in the book. It was a simple love story about an Englishwoman looking her younger sister who ran off with the hero's brother/cousin and I enjoyed it very much!

Rosalie Ash has a half-English/half-Scandinavian hero named Julius Korda (I can't remember if he's Danish or Swedish) in her e-book "Melting Ice." It was originally published as a Harlequin Romance in 1990.

The heroine was a young, idealistic innocent and the hero grew up in the slums to become a rich antiques dealer. He was supposed to be very cold, alpha and dominant, but somehow his career-choice seemed an odd contrast. Though he was a real "stuffed-shirt" type, which I liked. It was a good story, but one of those secret baby books with a long separation for a silly reason.
AndyR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Copenhagen Connection by Elizabeth Peters. This is an old one but is in e-book. I read it but don't remember how well I liked it.
Viking Princess

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Sandra Hill's The Very Virile Viking. It's a time travel. The viking Magnus (also a farmer in Norway) and his 9 children land in California in a Sonoma County vineyard. Here Mangnus meets and falls in love with Angela, a modern-day vineyard owner who yearns for just one child.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0062019201
This is the third in a trilogy about the time-traveling Ericsson brothers.

Book 1 The Last Viking What do you do when you're a tenth century Viking who finds himself shipwrecked in the twentieth century? Why, you head for the nearest longboat and try to get back to your own time. The only problem is, the longboat Geirolf Ericsson needs to get him home is half-built and the property of a woman who talks funny and asks too many questions.
Book 2 Truely Madly Viking. Gorgeous Viking hunk Jorund Ericsson lands in a modern mental hospital. Maggie McBride is the lucky psychologist who gets to “treat” the gorgeous Norseman. You've heard of “One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? But how about “A Viking Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?”

Last edited by Viking Princess on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
ponadog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A contemporary romance with a Viking in it is Maggie Shayne's "Miranda's Viking." This is another category romance from the 1990's recently released as an e-book.

Rolf is a viking who was frozen in ice for hundreds of years and thaws out and has to deal with the modern world. The heroine Miranda is an archaeologist who teaches him about the modern world and has to protect him from scientists who want to study him.
puce

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponadog wrote:

Rosalie Ash has a half-English/half-Scandinavian hero named Julius Korda (I can't remember if he's Danish or Swedish) in her e-book "Melting Ice." It was originally published as a Harlequin Romance in 1990.

It seems she has rewritten it and now it's a trilogy with three sisters and the hero is called Matt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: