AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"In Death" series by J D Robb...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
I'd settle for either an AutoChef or Summerset.

Summerset--I love him (and so does Eve, I suspect, somewhere deep down where she never goes). Love his comments, especially the ones coming in at this stage of the game. "Didn't know you had time off from work; none of your clothes have blood on them." I'll miss many of these characters when I complete the series and will have to wait patiently the six months between books. Sad
AndyR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't quite be six months this time. The next one is scheduled to come out the end of February. Better put a hold on it soon!
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyR wrote:
It won't quite be six months this time. The next one is scheduled to come out the end of February. Better put a hold on it soon!

You're right. Need to get that on the reserve list soon. Thanks.
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fellow ...In Death readers: The couple of you who said Innocent... was an excellent story in the series are right on. I am only about a third of the way through, but I've been pulled in very easily. Thanks.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
My fellow ...In Death readers: The couple of you who said Innocent... was an excellent story in the series are right on. I am only about a third of the way through, but I've been pulled in very easily. Thanks.

And good news!!! It stays great throughout. Normally I'm not a fan of Mavis, but she comes through when Eve needs her the most. And I'm wondering how soon you guess the culprit.

I'm so glad you're enjoying this one.
library addict

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guessed the culprit in the first scene he/she appeared in. That said, the book remains one of favorites. There are certain books in which I think NR really makes the reader feel attached to the victim (others include Holiday, Survivor, Strangers, and Kindred). I also think the personal subplot in this book was well done. [spoiler]One of the few times Roarke is really obtuse and Summerset is on Eve's "side."
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

library addict wrote:
I guessed the culprit in the first scene he/she appeared in. That said, the book remains one of favorites. There are certain books in which I think NR really makes the reader feel attached to the victim (others include Holiday, Survivor, Strangers, and Kindred). I also think the personal subplot in this book was well done. [spoiler]One of the few times Roarke is really obtuse and Summerset is on Eve's "side."

Same here guessing the culprit, but even on re-reads the scene with Mavis makes me laugh. I agree with what you say about being attached to victims - Holiday's always been a favorite of mine because of the way Eve dealt with that one victim's fiance (and he shows up in a later book to defend her reputation). I've also always liked her method of empowering a victim after an attack by making them feel like they're fighting back, as she does in Holiday.
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Kristie(J), library addict and MrsFairfax: I can't believe it, but I did guess the culprit right from the get-go, but it was more like a nudge. Later, I kept going back to that person, but reluctantly. Innocent... was fantastic. I felt the story between Roarke and Eve was very well done. The issue was heartfelt, but yet handled with easily believable human emotions and also in a mature manner. What a concept in romance. Very Happy I've taken note of some of the other upcoming books that some of you mentioned as good ones also. I have to admit, MrsFairfax, that I didn't give Holiday... it's fair share of attention, due to some ongoing personal and family "stuff" at the time. I will return to it, though, and give it a fair shake this time.

I am lovin' this series. Very Happy
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just giving an update. I'm pretty much done with the series now and waiting for Delusion... (it'll be a while since there are still quite a few reserves on it). I'll be beginning Remember When sometime today.

I felt as some others did here on this thread (MrsFairfax, especially) that Robb's stronger books were more in the first half of the series. There were others past that point that really grabbed me, but I have to admit that the ones immediately preceding Celebrity... were okay, but not exceptional. Celebrity... itself was not an interesting one for me and I'm hoping the wait I have until Delusion... comes in will be a positive point because of the gap. Robb has done a fantastic job with the series overall in keeping the interest of the characters going and with many of the stories themselves.

All in all, I am so happy to have begun the ...In Death books, something I've wanted to do for a long while. I want to thank all of you who participated and encouraged me in this endeavor and especially the few of you (dick, et al) who also gave extra incentive because you were in the midst of reading them simultaneously.

It's good to take a breather from them and someday I could see rereading the first three easily. Not sure about the rest of them, though; but then I'm not normally a rereader so that would be a natural for me.
dick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a degree of tyranny in the addiction, I'll admit; I felt compelled to read the next one as I finished the one before it. I was somewhat relieved when I closed [b]Delusion[/b], but at the same time faced withdrawal and several months for the next fix. And I have reread some of the series; some of those re-reads were almost as good as the original read; some were not. But I consider the series as a whole as near to a tour de force as an author can get.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie reviewed Calculated in Death by Robb today. I have to say I'm anxious to read it, because a considerable time has passed since I finished the series. As I was going through one book after another to become up-to-date, I was at the same time losing momentum. I figured that would happen; after all, there are so many books that make up this series. But now enough time has passed (and even more) before I actually get it from the library (lots of reserves). I'm ready; bring it on.

In regard to Maggie's review, she ended it with a really good answer, I think, to the question of what Eve and Roarke really see in each other (something I used to periodically ask myself while reading). Here's her response.

I have heard people ask before what Roarke sees in Eve, who can in fairness be a bit bitchy and self-absorbed. Towards the end of the novel Roarke tells Eve, “You delight me.” I thought that summed things up quite nicely. I think this book show cases what Eve does for Roarke. She gives him friends who don’t compete with him. She allows him access to the criminal world he loves, gives him a chance to outsmart his fellow law breakers but she lets him do it all on the up and up. I think Roarke had reached a point where he didn’t want to risk his empire for the game – but he also didn’t want to give that game up. With Eve he has the chance to consult and push boundaries without risking jail time. More Eve brings with her excitement, intellectual stimulation and variety. Eve never knows what her day will hold. Thanks to her, neither does Roarke. We could always see how they fit with each other deep down. They always got where each other came from. But now we can really see how they complete each other all the way through. Yes, the sex is great. But it’s about more than that. They both enjoy their combined lives more than they ever enjoyed their single ones and it is because they have meshed their lives so thoroughly and so well. They’ve completed that cycle that takes people from lovers to a couple.
dick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I skipped the excerpts from MaggieB's review, but I agree with the rest of your post Tee. I'm going looking for a copy of the book tomorrow; Sam'sClub always has the hardbacks at pretty reasonable prices, I think.
I noticed there was a book issued which contained several of the novelettes. Do you feel any reluctance about getting hooked again?

I'll read the review after I've read the book.
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
Do you feel any reluctance about getting hooked again?

No, I don't, dick. I can't believe I am that anxious to get this latest In Death book. I think I needed the space between reads more than I originally thought. It's sounding fresh once again and her issue rate is every six months, which is better than most mystery authors who write only once a year. I'm not complaining, though, about those yearly books because they are usually very good.
Eliza

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tee: A thought about re-reading the In Death books -- I loved the books but didn't think I'd likely re-read them. And I haven't. But recently when I found myself with some vision problems I found listening to the books on audio almost a different experience. I thoroughly enjoyed the narrator who nails the characters, she's just that cut above (especially Eve and Peabody together!). Of course, it had been some time since I had read most of them, so I had forgotten a lot of the details too. Since I had read all the books already, I didn't feel compelled to listen to them in order either, so I could listen to what the library had at the time just fine, out of order. I'm not generally an audio reader but the narrator is really outstanding IMO. Oh, and my son who had read the books had the same experience with the audio books in case that matters. As I said, just a possible thought for the future.

FWIW, I remember just loving Remember When.

@dick: If you were referring to getting Calculated tomorrow, I don't believe it comes out until the 26th, unless of course Sam's has it early.
dick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@eliza: I thought the release date was the 13th. Damn! But, Sam's Club, like Walmart (no surprise), sometimes jumps the shelf date. Or maybe they make special arrangements, who knows?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: