AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"In Death" series by J D Robb...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonnie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow down, Dick! The next one doesn't come out until February. Heh...
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:

Like Dick, I'm not much of a Nora Roberts fan -not that I didn't read and really enjoy her books back in the day, but the very thing that turned me off of reading Nora, is keeping me coming back to the In Death books.

There's a difference between an author using the same situations, phrases, personality quirks, etc. with different characters, and having the same characters (whom you would expect to see in similar situations, use the same phrases in speech and retain their personality quirks) develop over time. That's why it's annoying to me when all three of Jayne Ann Krentz's flower heroines have virtually identical deflowering scenes, but Eve and Roarke can have basically the same sex scene in 20 books and that's okay. There are a few of the ID books that seem sort of like a checklist (Feeney's pocket'o'candied almonds, check. Charles saying Lieutenant Sugar, check. Louise seeming harried, check. Mavis with some strange hair color, check.) Mostly, though, the plots are structured to believably pull the elements in without it being so obvious.

I'm 2/3 of the way through Delusion and really enjoying it. Treachery was a high point of the series for me out of the last dozen or so - to me it was a slightly OTT (as Mavis would say) distillation of all things In Death, and a lot of fun. If I had to pick favorites, they'd be Conspiracy, Purity, Portrait & Treachery.

Last edited by MrsFairfax on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize Delusion was out yet!! I took a moment there. Though in horrified at the price I just paid for an ebook, instant gratification can be a wonderful thing. I'm off to the futue in New York for a bit to visit some old friends I haven't seen for a few months.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished Delusion; the ebook price was less than the hardcover one.

Another good mystery. Loved visiting with the gang. The media liaison seems to a new recurring character.

Kay
dick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I noticed his appearance. Considering her prior attitudes toward media consultants, it must be another step in "civilizing" Eve a bit more. I think Detective Strong will recur often too.

One thing about the style in the series bugs me: Often Robb carries a segment of dialogue over into the next paragraph, unnecessarily in my thinking, the only signal being the absence of quotation marks at the end of the prior paragraph. The only reason for it I can see is to break up the length of paragraphs and avoid the "she said" signals; it's not a bad idea except that I miss the omission often, forcing me to glance back a lot.

Could be my eyes, of course, which I'll admit don't always function the way I'd like. Still bugs me.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed the development of the Eve/Mira relationship. I'm not sure if Eve's ever acknowledged it aloud or in introspection, but Feeney is the father of her soul. She knows this. (I just can't remember if she's ever stated it.) And Mira is the mother of her soul. I think they got closer this time to acknowledging that.
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:
I really enjoyed the development of the Eve/Mira relationship. I'm not sure if Eve's ever acknowledged it aloud or in introspection, but Feeney is the father of her soul. She knows this. (I just can't remember if she's ever stated it.) And Mira is the mother of her soul. I think they got closer this time to acknowledging that.

I don't think Eve has ever actually said it, but Roarke says it to Feeney in one of the books. Ritual in Death, maybe. Feeney is angry with Eve because she obeyed Whitney and didn't tell him about an investigation she was involved in. Eve isn't there when Roarke says it, though, as far as I recall.

Elizabeth
Eliza

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for this great thread. I never thought I would re-visit this series, but because of eyesight issues, I have started listening to some ID audio books, starting from the beginning of the series. After having read some 30 books, I've since forgotten a lot of the crime stuff and it's wonderful to revisit Eve and Roarke from the very beginning again. Thank goodness for audio books and an outstanding music collection.

Thanks again for the audio reminder this thread turned out to be.

Last edited by Eliza on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
dick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The relationship between Summerset and Eve interests me as much as the one between her and Mira. Even when they have momentary rapprochements, they return to the sniping with relief and enjoyment. It's childish and yet so human.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
The relationship between Summerset and Eve interests me as much as the one between her and Mira. Even when they have momentary rapprochements, they return to the sniping with relief and enjoyment. It's childish and yet so human.

I love the way it's evolved over the series. The first few books, Summerset really didn't like Eve, didn't think she was good enough for his "son" but once he began to see how much they meant to each other and what a caring person she was beneath her very thick layer of prickliness, he really does care about her. I love how he's become protective of her and contacts Roarke when he thinks Eve is needing him.
Eliza

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on some topics earlier in this thread, I just found the following:

Why don’t the books have the picture of Eve on them anymore?

That is actually the official J. D. Robb author photo, not a depiction of Eve.

-----
When will Eve and Roarke have a baby?

Nora has said repeatedly that a baby would signal the end of the series. In her opinion, a baby changes everything (for the better) and the focus of the series would change radically. In no way does this mean Nora thinks a mother can’t be an excellent police officer (or attorney or any other type of professional). It does mean that many of the things readers love about Eve and Roarke’s life together would change (i.e., leaving home for hours on end only to return to continue working in their home offices).

-----
Who is the Candy Thief? When will we find out?

Nora knows the identity of the Candy Thief, but she’s not sure when that person will be unmasked in the books.

-----
Why don’t the books say “Nora Roberts writing as J. D. Robb” anymore? Is she no longer writing the series? That’s what I hear!

Nora writes every word of the In Death series—after all, she’s as interested in the characters’ lives as the readers are. The marketing department at Penguin decided that after 14 books reminding readers that it was Nora Roberts writing as J. D. Robb, that it was time to let J. D. Robb get top billing.
Eggletina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only read the first book. Hopefully I'm not repeating a question that has already been asked. How many years have transpired from the first to the latest release in the series?
PatW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggletina wrote:
I've only read the first book. Hopefully I'm not repeating a question that has already been asked. How many years have transpired from the first to the latest release in the series?

The latest book is set in autumn of 2060.
Eggletina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, PatW.

The first book begins in 2058, so the 30-plus books so far have covered roughly two years. That's a lot of character development. Wink
Eliza

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--First book Naked in Death is 2058.
--It's Feb 2059 by book 9, Loyalty in Death
--Eve and Roarke's one year anniversary--book 14, Reunion in Death
--It's 2060 by book by book 23, Born in Death
--Second wedding anniversary is in book 31, Indulgence in Death
--and we're on book 35 Delusions in Death, toward the end of 2060.

(I didn't count Remember When or the anthology stories in my numbering but they all fit the time frame.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: