AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"In Death" series by J D Robb...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
Two a year is a good pace to feel like I'm hanging out with old friends without being annoyed by repetition. Have fun, Tee!

Into the second book now, Glory in Death, and already I'm familiar with some characters who feel comfortable--Feeney, Mavis, Nadine, Whitney, Roarke's butler, etc. So far, so good. And the books are not 500 pages long, so they seem surmountable one at a time. I've never had a quibble with Roberts' style of writing. Recently, it's been the kind of stories she's been dwelling on. She appears to do well with this type of novel which involves detectives and investigations. The Witness, to me, was her last good issue; and prior to that, it was High Noon, both similarly patterned.

It's already into the mid 90s here; so, yes, I am having a bit of fun inside reading this, MrsFairfax. And I have the next one in a usually non-existent TBR pile. Life is good. Smile
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a way you are lucky - you don't have to wait every six months now for a new one to come out.

I never thought I would still be going strong on a series this many books in, but the In Death books break every rule. Each new book I read now is like revisiting really good friends. And wait unti you get to meet Peabody, Dallas' assistant/partner. I love the way she talks back and wisecracks with Eve.

Another thing that you will notice and that has really impressed me, is the growth in the character of Eve. I often see complaints about another long running series, the Stephanie Plum one, that Stephanie remains the same and hasn't changed much. But the Eve in the books now being released is barely recognizeable as the Eve in the first 3 books. She's now so much more of a well rounded person, still the rather intimdating Eve that so many enjoy right from the get go, but she's richer and fuller now with all the people she has let in her life as the series has gone along.
MEK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to listen to the In Death series on audio this summer so I could entertain myself while I exercised. So here we are in mid July and I'm one fourth of the way into .......Naked In Death! Book One! HMMM, there's something wrong, here, and I don't think its the books, lol. Not the best exerciser. I need a new strategy for this series, and for exercising.
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news, Kristie, about Eve evolving as the series moves on. You're right that there's a certain attraction to her grittiness now, if that's an accurate enough word. So I'm glad she hasn't lost it, only enhanced it and then added even more qualities to her character. And in other threads, I've heard the same thing you said about not tiring of the series; so that's more good news.

And, MEK, it's good to see someone else at the very beginning of the series. But that means you'll have to fine tune that exercise schedule to keep moving along with the books. Smile Good luck. I really did enjoy Naked in Death a lot and am equally lovin' Glory in Death as well.
PatW

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started reading the In Death series when there were about 25 books. I had avoided reading them for years for reasons I can no longer remember. Now they are books I really look forward to. Partly because I am also a big mystery fan and usually enjoy the mystery, even when the character development doesn't "move" as much as I want.

Just wanted to say that the only short/novella that you should read in sequence is Remember When - there are backward references to it that I found quite baffling because I had missed it.

I envy you your journey, Tee!
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really look forward to them as well, but the Kindle price at first release is ridiculously high. I am going to force myself to wait a year for the price to drop. I still think $13 is high for an ebook, but factoring in the price of books in Australia, (not to mention the dwindling shelf space around here Shocked ) I'll deal with it.
I was looking on line the other day and while Celebrity in Death is still priced at about $19, New York to Dallas has dropped. I should probably drop into my local library and put myself on the reserve list for the next one, Delusion in Death. Same with several other authors I enjoy.

Elizabeth
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, PatW, for the extra bit of information on your experiences in catching up with this series and the extra books involved. And, Elizabeth, using the library for some of these books is an excellent idea, especially since those prices for the e-versions are so high in your country.

Here are some of my observations so far on reading the books. I've gone through the first three, and for lack of anything else to read right now, will probably begin the fourth one today. I think that's too many in a row, so mowing the grass and doing some other needed stuff around the house hopefully will take up most of my day and I'll take a day off from reading.

Another thing is that some of these books are reissued paperbacks. There's a photo at the back of these covers that I suspect is supposed to be Eve Dallas, but it sure looks a lot like Nora Roberts. Since I didn't begin with the original covers (which probably didn't have this picture on it), it was difficult for me to form a clear picture of Dallas in my mind--only Roberts' face kept coming to mind and I didn't want that image. I remember some years back on the boards when there was a controversy about this on the In Death series and I stated my opinions along with the other posters. I've not changed my mind on what I said then, but now I agree with those who said it "messed with their visualizing the character." It certainly has with me.

Another observation is that Roarke is wonderful, but maybe too much so? Actually, she's almost painted him too perfect and that's scary. OTOH, Dallas seems his direct opposite, and in that I'm finding it difficult to expect him to last the long haul with her. I kinow that he does, but my mind says, "What?"

But so far/so good, as long as I pace myself better than I have. Especially now that they're married, the space devoted to the relationship in the story will probably diminish a bit and the mystery will take more prominence. That's not a problem with me if it's told well.

Scoring--the first two books were excellent; the third was just a bit slow, mostly in the crime area.
Eliza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's a photo at the back of these covers that I suspect is supposed to be Eve Dallas, but it sure looks a lot like Nora Roberts.

It is Nora, and since she is on a NY bridge, I took her to be showing an Eve look as well. (Nora lives in Maryland in real life.) Nora's author shots are different for JD Robb covers (harder, slicker?) and Nora Roberts covers (a
softer look somehow). The latest In Death book or so has had no back cover photos.

I may have missed this, but did anyone mention that there are two In Death books released per year?
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:

But so far/so good, as long as I pace myself better than I have. Especially now that they're married, the space devoted to the relationship in the story will probably diminish a bit and the mystery will take more prominence. That's not a problem with me if it's told well.

I'd say the relationship gets equal time up to the switch to hardback releases (Remember When). Once Roberts finally gives up Eve's token protest of Roarke's involvement in every investigation, the couple start having more legitimate, couple-y arguments and it makes the relationship seem more real and slightly better balanced. That takes a dozen books or so, though.

Pacing is key - all the characters' quirks (Feeney's pocket'o'nuts, Peabody's clunky shoes, Roarke's face like a fallen angel and clever fingers) get annoying in bulk.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
Pacing is key - all the characters' quirks (Feeney's pocket'o'nuts, Peabody's clunky shoes, Roarke's face like a fallen angel and clever fingers) get annoying in bulk.

Oh, you mean like the following?--It was still a jolt. This man with the warrior's mane of black and sleek hair, the face that was both saint and sinner (yes, fallen angel, too!), the mouth of a poet, the wild Irish stunning blue eyes... I believe that sentence, in one form or another, has appeared in all four books so far. Just a little too perfect, I think. But then perhaps my green streak is surfacing a bit. Who wouldn't want that in their life? LOL

Eliza wrote:
It is Nora, and since she is on a NY bridge, I took her to be showing an Eve look as well.

Okay, that makes sense; but I wish I hadn't seen the photo with the very first book. In trying to conjure up a different image for Dallas, that's the only one that comes up and it's frustrating. And I'm sure that was her intent; except by the time the picture was published later on in the series, earlier readers already had an image for Dallas in their minds and were not easily swayed by it.

All small stuff. If the series is good, then these items become or stay trivial.
Eliza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
I wish I hadn't seen the photo with the very first book. In trying to conjure up a different image for Dallas, that's the only one that comes up and it's frustrating...

FWIW, I was reading the In Deaths long before that back cover photo was added, and I remember thinking it did a good job at capturing Eve's long-legged stride and overall attitude. With Nora's face and hair though! Smile which I picture differently for Eve than from that Nora photo and more according to the books' descriptions.

Similarly, I was just commenting on what Jamie from Outlander looks like to me on another thread here, and he doesn't even resemble the author's intention apparently. I made up my own image! Wink
Bonnie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "In Death" series by J D Robb... Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Here we go. I have begun the first book in that series, Naked in Death, and so far am enjoying it a lot. Only 35 more books to read in the series! Smile As farmwifetwo said in one of the recent blogs, I shouldn't lack reading material for a long time (maybe three years or so). Pacing here will be extremely important so that I don't burn out. Wish me luck.

Holy smokes, I am sooooo jealous. If only I had 35 In Death books to look forward to. Ahhhh... wow.

Enjoy, they are wonderful and only get better as you go along.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:
Similarly, I was just commenting on what Jamie from Outlander looks like to me on another thread here, and he doesn't even resemble the author's intention apparently. I made up my own image! Wink

As I normally would and actually do, too. I think most readers visualize a look to the characters they read about. I just can't get Nora and that photo out of my head, though, for the way Eve looks and it's driving me nuts. Had I seen the photo later on, it would have been no problem either. Thanks, Eliza.

And, thank you, Bonnie, for your comments. I'm hoping it all works out very well.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Another observation is that Roarke is wonderful, but maybe too much so? Actually, she's almost painted him too perfect and that's scary. OTOH, Dallas seems his direct opposite, and in that I'm finding it difficult to expect him to last the long haul with her. I kinow that he does, but my mind says, "What?" '

Two things that bind them together:

1) Except for the access to "real" coffee, Eve views Roarke's wealth as an embarassment rather than a plus.

2) Shared history of child abuse by parents.

Kay
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
2) Shared history of child abuse by parents.

That's probably the most important factor; both of their past histories were warped. I still think Roarke appears to be good to be true at times, but sometimes we want that in fiction. In fact, this relationship reminds just a bit of the one in High Noon, which I enjoyed so much. He was wealthy and she was a detective. I didn't have a problem with that one by any means.

Last edited by Tee on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: