AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recs for Pirates & Historical Conflict romances!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Recs for Pirates & Historical Conflict romances! Reply with quote

Does anyone have any recommendations for meaty pirate romances a la Marsha Canham? Or adventure romances set on or partially on the high seas?

Or recommendations for historical romances where the historical backdrop is part of the conflict between the hero and heroine (similar to Roberta Gellis and Jennifer Blake)? I don't need them to be dark and angsty either--authors like Jude Deveraux wrote "historical conflict" romances with humor and warmth! Smile
Yulie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Recs for Pirates & Historical Conflict romances! Reply with quote

NoirFemme wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for meaty pirate romances a la Marsha Canham? Or adventure romances set on or partially on the high seas?

I recently read Sea Change by Darlene Marshall, and it was really good - the hero is a privateer, I think, and the heroine is the ship's doctor. Surrender of a Siren is the only book by Tessa Dare that I've ever liked, and it takes place mostly aboard ship. In Jo Goodman's first book, The Captain's Lady, the h/h both have their own ships. To a lesser extent, there's Laura Kinsale's The Hidden Heart.

Quote:
Or recommendations for historical romances where the historical backdrop is part of the conflict between the hero and heroine (similar to Roberta Gellis and Jennifer Blake)? I don't need them to be dark and angsty either--authors like Jude Deveraux wrote "historical conflict" romances with humor and warmth! Smile

Maybe The Turncoat by Donna Thorland? Also some of Joanna Bourne's books and Pamela Clare's MacKinnon's Rangers trilogy, especially Untamed.

I haven't read Blake or Gellis, so I'm probably going to need other examples to really help.
Rosie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Recs for Pirates & Historical Conflict romances! Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:

I recently read Sea Change by Darlene Marshall, and it was really good - the hero is a privateer, I think, and the heroine is the ship's doctor.

I'd also recommend her book Castaway Dreams.
Eggletina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Recs for Pirates & Historical Conflict romances! Reply with quote

NoirFemme wrote:

Or recommendations for historical romances where the historical backdrop is part of the conflict between the hero and heroine (similar to Roberta Gellis and Jennifer Blake)?

Most of the books I can think of are older, so you've probably already read them, but I'll put them out there anyway.

If you like Gellis, I recommend Stella Riley's English Civil War trilogy. The first two books have recently been released as ebooks with the third forthcoming later this year.

Most of my favorite pirate/high sea adventure romances are older:

Rafael Sabatini's classics: Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk and The Black Swan (first two are in the public domain, so you can find out there for free as ebooks)

Mary Johnston's To Have and To Hold (also in the public domain, Jamestown settlement/pirate adventure)

Jo Goodman's More Than You Know (hero and rival factions seek lost treasure in Polynesia)

Helen Hollick's Sea Witch series: 18th Century with Cape Town as the historical backdrop. There is a magical element in this series. Heroine is a white witch, hero is a pirate (I think the author drew inspiration from Johnny Depp for her hero).

Some historical adventures that have romance but it isn't central to the plot:
The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson
The Soul Thief by Cecelia Holland

(both are Viking tales by the way)
puce

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carla Kelly's Miss Whittier Makes a List, an American Quaker girl captured by a British Captain.
Cobbsouth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the definitive pirate romance is Georgette Heyer's BEAUVALLET. I believe Sourcebooks(?) may have re-released it in trade paperback.
--All About Romance on A DEAD BORE
Kayne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Recs for Pirates & Historical Conflict romances! Reply with quote

Till Dawn Tames the Night by Meagan McKinney is a pirate story starring Vashon, with the dragon tattoo and Aurora from an orphanage on their way to Jamaica. There is a memorable scene involving a banana and some sewing scissors over breakfast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: