AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Lean Mean Thirteen 2013 Reading Challenge
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: The Lean Mean Thirteen 2013 Reading Challenge Reply with quote

The Lean Mean Thirteen

We normally choose our number of books by the year but for some doing more than a book a month would seriously cut into their reading time. Because the challenge is meant to be fun and easy we are giving the option of doing 10, 12 (one book a month) or thirteen books. So for each challenge you choose if you want to do ten books, twelve books or thirteen books for that challenge.

Audio Exemption: If you have a book in audio that you had previously read in paper that meets challenge limits you may use the audio version for the challenge. Must be a first time listen.

The Dirty Dozen (Whittler)

Any 10, 12 or 13 books in your TBR

The Serious Dozen

Read 10, 12 or 13 books in a series. Can mix and match. Such as doing three Harlequin Blaze, four Silhouettes and six Love Inspired. You can do series within series such as Harlequin's Count on a Cop or you can do series such as Love Finds You in . . . You can also do single author series such as the Black Dagger Brotherhood or the Sookie Stackhouse series. If the books somehow link together, they'll count.

The Music Challenge (submitted by Sandlynn)
1) Read a romance where the title of the book is also the title of a song.
2) In celebration of Bach and Vivaldi, read a romance set during the Baroque period (1600 - 1750).
3) In celebration of Mozart and Beethoven, read a romance set during the Classical period (1750 - 1827).
4) Read a romance set during the Ragtime period -- roughly speaking 1897 - 1918.
5) Read a romance set during the Big Band era -- roughly speaking 1925 - 1955.
6) Read a romance where either the hero or heroine is a musician, singer, conductor, or composer.
7) Read a romance with the word "music," "sing," "symphony," "dance," "play," or in which a musical instrument is in the title or embedded in a word in the title.
8 ) Read a romance in which scenes from a Regency ballroom are featured.
9) Read a romance that is either set during the American Bandstand period (1952 - 1989) or was published in that period.
10) Read a romance that's set during the "iTunes Era" (2000 - the present).

11) In celebration of the roots of music or the area of the country/world where it flourished, select one or two of these options and read a romance
a) set in the U.S. Northwest (representing the Seattle grunge movement), or
b) set in the Great Lakes area (representing Detroit's Motown), or
c) set in Louisiana (representing New Orleans Jazz), or
d) set in California (representing the Beach Boys surfer music), or
e) set in Great Britain (representing the British invasion).

12) In celebration of Rodgers and Hammerstein, select one or two of these options and read a romance
a) where the hero is a cowboy or which is set on a ranch or farm as in Oklahoma!, or
b) where the hero is in the military or the heroine is a nurse as in South Pacific, or
c) where the hero is a noble (Earl, Duke, Prince, King) or the heroine is a teacher or tutor as in The King and I, or
d) where the story is based upon a fairytale or the story is a fantasy as in Cinderella, or
e) where the hero or heroine is Asian or is an immigrant or where the plot involves an arranged marriage as in Flower Drum Song, or
f) where the hero is a widower or the heroine is a governess as in The Sound of Music.

13) In celebration of Broadway Musicals, select one or two of these options and read a romance
a) where the hero or heroine is a gambler or the story is set in New York City as in Guys and Dolls, or
b) where an animal/pet is a major part of the story as in Cats, or
c) where the heroine is a witch or is an outcast as in Wicked, or
d) where the heroine or hero is a dancer or where life in the theater features prominently as in A Chorus Line, or
e) where the action takes place in France of the 1800's or involves the hero or heroine being pursued as in Les Miserables, or
f) where the heroine has multiple suitors, or the heroine is in her 40's, or the action takes place in the Mediterranean as in Momma Mia.

14) In celebration of famous rock/pop albums, select one or two of these options and read a romance
a) where the hero or heroine is handicapped or is a prodigy as in The Who's Tommy, or
b) where the hero or heroine wears a uniform or the hero or heroine is a "lonely heart" actively looking for love as in The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band, or
c) in which the genre is a paranormal or is a supernatural with non human characters as in Michael Jackson's Thriller, or
d) where the heroine gives birth or either the hero or heroine are "on the run" or are on the road as in Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run
e) which is a gothic (dark side) or a futuristic (the moon) for Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon
f) where the heroine is a virgin or is a "bad girl" gone good, e.g., former prostitute, former mistress, former easy girl as in Madonna's Like a Virgin.

15) Read a romance in which the word "lyric," "chord," "note," "melody," "bar," "scale," "major," or "minor" is in the title or embedded in a word in the title.

16) The following are songs with male, female or unisex names in the titles. Read a romance in which either the hero or heroine has one or part of one of these names. "Billie Jean," "Eleanor Rigby," "Me and Bobby McGee," "Frankie and Johnny," "Bette Davis Eyes," "Jack and Diane," "Hey Jude," "Louie, Louie," "Maxwell's Silver Hammer," "Allison," "Barbara Ann," "Maggie May," "Sweet Baby James," or "Alexander's Ragtime Band".

Thirteen days, months, year, century… (submitted by Karat)
Read a book where…
1. Fast track: All the events in the book occur within in 13 days or less
2. Slow motion: All the events in the book occur in 13 months or more
3. Epic story: All the events in the book (from prologue to epilogue, if that's the case) occur over 13 years or more
4. Old acquaintances: Hero and heroine know each other for 13 years or more
5. May-December / December-May: Hero is 13 (or more) years older than the heroine, or vice versa
6. Teenage years: Book is set at the year / decade of your 13th birthday
7. Year 13: Book is set in a "year 13" (2013, 1913, 1813, etc)
8. 13 years ago: Book is set or was published in 2000
9. Stuck with you: Hero and heroine are forced to be together for 13 consecutive hours of more (e.g. cabin and road romance)
10. Away from you: Hero and heroine are forced to be apart for 13 days or more, against their will (e.g., one of them is at war, or in prison)
11. Reunited: Hero and heroine are reunited after staying apart (at their own will) for 13 months or more (e.g., hero and heroine are divorced, and then reunite)
12. Long career: Hero or heroine has been in the same career for 13 years or more
13. Medieval: Book is set in the 13th century

Thirteen movies (submitted by Karat)
Read 13 books inspired by movies (or TV series) with "Thirteen" or "13"or "13th" in the title
1. "Ocean's Thirteen" (2007): Hero or heroine is a con or thief OR book is set in Las Vegas
2. "13 Going on 30" (2004): Hero or heroine works in Publishing, media or entertainment OR book is a Time travel book
3. "Thirteen" (2003): Hero or heroine has a teenage daughter OR book is a Young Adult book
4. "Thirteen Days" (2000): Hero or heroine is a politician or works in public service (social worker, people that work at a public library OR book is set in the 60s
5. "The 13th Warrior" (1999): Hero or heroine is a warrior OR book is a Vikings book
6. "Assault on Precinct 13" (2005): Hero or heroine is a cop OR book is set in the Holidays (movie is on New Year's Eve)
7. "Apollo 13"(1995): Hero or heroine is an astronaut or is in the Air Force or is a pilot of some kind OR book is set in the 70s
8. "Thir13en Ghosts" (2001): Hero or heroine receive an inheritance OR book is a Paranormal book
9. "Warehouse 13" (2009 -): Hero or heroine works for the Secret Service or FBI OR there is some sort of "treasure hunt" in the book plot (e.g., hero / heroine has to find a missing object or person)
10. "Thirteen at Dinner" (2005): Hero or heroine is a detective OR book is set in the 30s or 40s
11. "Operator 13" (1934): Hero or heroine is a spy or is in the Army OR book is set in the American Civil War
12. "Friday the 13th" (1980): Villain is a serial killer OR book is the 1st book in a series
13. "Friday the 13th Part 2" (1981): Hero, heroine or villain is on a quest for revenge OR book is the 2nd book in a series
Alternate: Pick your own! Choose any movie with "thirteen", "13" or "13th" in the title. Just let us know how your book matches a theme from that film.

Holiday Challenge (submitted by Sandlynn)

New Years - Read a romance which involves the New Years holiday, or involves the hero or heroine traveling forward in time (time travel), or in which the hero or heroine plan parties, own or work in a club or bar, or make alcohol (vineyard owner)

MLK Day - Read a romance where one or more of the lead characters is African American, or which has the word "Dream" in the title, or a book in which the hero or heroine is fighting for someone's/something's rights or freedom, e.g. suffragette, labor rights, disabled, environmental activist, lawyer representing client

Valentine's Day - Read any romance with the words, "valentine(s)" "heart(s)", "flower(s)", "chocolate", "candy", or "love" in the title. Also, a book about the holiday such as The Trouble with Valentine's Day by Rachel Gibson.

President's Day - Read a romance involving a hero or heroine who is a politician, who works in government, or who's involved with executing the law, e.g. judge, lawyer, cop, etc.

St Patrick's Day - Read a romance set in Ireland or in which the hero or heroine is Irish or a romance which has the word "green", "luck", or "Irish" in the title.

Easter - Read a romance in which the hero is a man of the cloth, in which the heroine was in or is sent to a convent, or in which the hero or heroine make a transformation, (think Pygmalion or a makeover or a huge change in status.) A book which has the word "spring" in the title.

Mother's Day - Read a romance in which the heroine is a mother, is mothering children not her own, or who is pregnant.

Memorial Day - Read a romance involving a death, getting over a death, or where someone important is thought to be dead but returns.

Independence Day - Read a romance in which "red", "white" or "blue" is in the title or which involves the characters on a summer vacation.

Father's Day - Read a romance in which the hero is a father, is fathering children not his own, or in which a woman (the heroine) is having his baby.

Labor Day - Read a romance where the hero or heroine is a manual laborer, e.g., servant, etc., for a significant part of the story or in which either hero or heroine works with his or her hands - carpenter, gardener, sculptor, mechanic, etc.

Columbus Day - Read a romance where the hero or heroine journeys to a new country to live or to stay for significant portion of the story or in which a significant amount of time is spent on a ship, or which is set in Italy, Spain, or the Caribbean.

Halloween - Read a romance involving ghosts, witches, warlocks, the supernatural or the paranormal.

Veteran's Day - Read a romance where the hero or heroine is in the military or just left the military or in which a war, e.g. Civil War, WWII, Napoleonic, is a major part of the story

Thanksgiving Day - Read a romance set in colonial America, or with Native American characters (of any time period), or in which either the hero or heroine is a chef/cook.

Christmas - Read a romance set at Christmas time and/or has Christmas in the title.

Birthday - Read a romance in which the heroine gives birth, the word "birthday" or "birth" is in the title, or in which either the hero, the heroine, or both are celebrated -- a celebrated author, actor, sports person, political figure, artist, etc.

Alternative: Read 10,12 or 13 Holiday Anthologies. Mix and Match as needed.
Variation: Books with the holiday in the title such as Easter Island by Jennifer Vanderbes or St Patrick's Day Murder by Lee Harris.

Famous Firsts

For the ten challenge:
4 books by a new to you author
2 books by an author debuting this year
4 First books of an established author (Ie first Linda Howard, first Nora Roberts etc.)
For twelve add:
2 books that are the start of a series
For thirteen add:
One book with the word "one", "first", "premiere", "only","single","new" in title

Variation 1: Any 10, 12 or 13 combination of the above.
Variation 2: Any 10, 12, or 13 new to you or debut authors.

The Original Thirteen
Read one book each with the location of the original thirteen colonies. Harder than it sounds – I don’t remember a romance set in Delaware!

Delaware - December 7, 1787
•Pennsylvania - December 12, 1787
•New Jersey - December 18, 1787
•Georgia - January 2, 1788
•Connecticut - January 9, 1788
•Massachusetts - February 6, 1788
•Maryland - April 28, 1788
•South Carolina - May 23, 1788
•New Hampshire - June 21, 1788
•Virginia - June 25, 1788
•New York - July 26, 1788
•North Carolina - November 21, 1789
•Rhode Island - May 29, 1790

The Last Supper

There were thirteen men at the last supper. For this challenge read books which include the names of each person present. For Jesus, Judas, Thaddeus and Bartholomew you may substitute the name of an important biblical character -such as Luke, Paul or Isiah.

Variation: Read a combination of the names, location (Jerusalem, Israel or somewhere in the Roman Empire) and time period (first century). Can also substitute an Inspirational.

Bartholomew
James Minor
Andrew
Peter (also called Simon Peter)
Judas Iscariot
John
Jesus
Thomas
James Major
Philip
Matthew
Thaddeus
Simon the Canaanite (also Simon the Zealot)

The Beatles

There are thirteen official Beatles Albums. Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to read 10, 12 or 13 books with words from the album titles in the title of the book. Some of the album titles make this easy but others not so much. That being the case you may replace the album title with a song title from that album. So in the case of Yellow Submarine you could choose the song Sea of Time and read Sea of Secrets by Amanda DeWees or for With the Beatles you could choose the song Till There Was You and read Till There Was You by Lynn Kurland or Until There Was You by Kristan Higgins. You could also choose the word "with" and do With All My Heart by Jo Goodman or With Every Letter by Sarah Sundin. The only word you can't choose is "the". For the White album please use the word White or the title of a song within the album.

Alternates: The Beatles began calling themselves The Beatles in 1960. John Lennon quit the band in 1969, Paul McCartney in 1970. If you can’t find a song or album title that works you can substitute a book about a rock star or a book that takes place during the sixties.

Please Please Me
With The Beatles
A Hard Day's Night
Beatles For Sale
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Magical Mystery Tour
The Beatles (aka The "White" Album)
Yellow Submarine
Abbey Road
Let It Be

Last edited by Maggie AAR on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:12 pm; edited 10 times in total
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie:

You made some additions in your PM to me to the holiday challenge that I sent you, but I don't see the additions here. (I think one was to Valentine's Day and the other was to Easter.) You might have forgotten to copy them over. They were good.

By the way, in the music challenge, some of the quotes around the song titles that are also names are missing. I must have rushed it when I sent it and left them out. It doesn't bother me too much, but might be confusing. Perhaps they can just be in a list without quotes or something.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
Maggie:

You made some additions in your PM to me to the holiday challenge that I sent you, but I don't see the additions here. (I think one was to Valentine's Day and the other was to Easter.) You might have forgotten to copy them over. They were good.

By the way, in the music challenge, some of the quotes around the song titles that are also names are missing. I must have rushed it when I sent it and left them out. It doesn't bother me too much, but might be confusing. Perhaps they can just be in a list without quotes or something.

I added valentines and a book about Valentine's day to the Valentine's Day one. Added spring to the Easter line. I also added quotes to the names list and bolded some of the musical names.

maggie b.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know for sure I will be doing the Serious Dozen. I have a series I would dearly love to get off my TBR.

maggie b.
karat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all great!
Do you think we could add one thing to the "Thirteen movies" challenge: if people do not like the movies suggested, they can pick any other movie that has "Thirteen" or "13"or "13th" in the title, and let us know how the book they selected match a theme from the movie they picked.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karat wrote:
These are all great!
Do you think we could add one thing to the "Thirteen movies" challenge: if people do not like the movies suggested, they can pick any other movie that has "Thirteen" or "13"or "13th" in the title, and let us know how the book they selected match a theme from the movie they picked.

Done. Smile

maggie b.
library addict

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, Maggie.

I still have to finish a few books for this year's challenge, but I will be participating again next year for sure.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year!
Is Everyone Ready to Start!!

The Serious Dozen

Letters from Home
Jo Barrett
C

Phoebe Honeyut is a nearly perfect woman. Loves kids and takes the neighborhood kids home to bake on a regular basis. Runs her aunt's farm when the elderly Sophie can no longer do it. Everyone in town loves her for her kind spirit and generous ways. Her only flaw is that she can't have children of her own. Naturally, this means she can never, ever marry because she is so unworthy. She instead spends all her time baking cookies and befriending the elderly.

When one of her elederly friends dies she writes the grandson to inform him of the death. He is a soldier overseas. Before long she finds them in regurlar correspondence, with her sending endess boxes of cookies to him and his mates. She signs the notes and packages with the nickname the children have given her - Aunt Bee.

When John gets leave he goes to visit the kindly old lady who sent the cookies. What a surprise that it is a lovely young woman that sent the cookies. In Phoebe he see everything he ever dreamed of. But do the two really have a future?

Phoebe and John really frustrated me. John had a bad breakup and has decided he will never risk loving another woman. Phoebe is the same. As the book builds towards an end it becomes an endless Harlequin cliche. Pity because it started out strong.

maggie b.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Did you start reading at 12:01 a.m.!? Razz

I already have my first couple of books lined up for the challenge, but I'm in the middle of another non-challenge book and need to finish that up first. The one I'm reading now is Rose Lerner's In For a Penny, which has a non typical beta type hero and a heroine who seems to be smarter when it comes to everyday practicalities, including handling money. It's interesting.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
Wow. Did you start reading at 12:01 a.m.!? Razz

I already have my first couple of books lined up for the challenge, but I'm in the middle of another non-challenge book and need to finish that up first. The one I'm reading now is Rose Lerner's In For a Penny, which has a non typical beta type hero and a heroine who seems to be smarter when it comes to everyday practicalities, including handling money. It's interesting.

LOL, it was a series book and only 208 pages. I have a dozen or so series books which I want off my shelves so I am starting with them. I've heard them called popcorn books because they read in the same amount of time as a movie.

My nest book is 214 pages. I plan to start it tonight.

maggie b.
kim76

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Maggie, for these great challenges! This will be the second year I've tried to decrease my TBR pile by having fun with these challenges (I pick a few challenges that sound fun and see how many I can finish by the end of the year...I don't choose one book a month...just mark them off as I read them and they apply. No book can be used for two categories in one challenge though.)

Last year, I easily completed the 12 Days of Christmas Challenge...very fun!

This year, I'm going to try the Music, 13 Movies, Holiday, and Original Thirteen Challenges.

It makes finishing a book even better because then I get to see where it applies in the challenge (I think most people might do the reverse, pick the category first?)
karat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year!

I will start with the "Thirteen movies" challenge.

Thirteen movies - Read 13 books inspired by movies (or TV series) with "Thirteen" or "13"or "13th" in the title
1. "Ocean's Thirteen" (2007): Hero or heroine is a con or thief
A Touch of Minx by Suzanne Enoch

This is the 5th (and as far as I know, last) book in the Samantha Jellicoe series. Samantha "Sam" Jellicoe is a thief, who falls in love with Richard "Rick" Addison, a British billionaire. Sam met Rick when she tried to rob in the first book in the series. In books 2-4, Sam and Rick's relationship develop, and they try to find common ground - she tries to abandon her criminal life, and he tries not to be overprotective. Meanwhile, there is always an adventure for the couple to embark on. In this 5th book, their relationship advances even more, and Rick is ready to ask Sam to marry him. But can she overcome her fear of commitment and accept it? And can they escape the next threat that puts their lives in danger?
I really liked the first 3 books in the series, but the last ones, particularly A Touch of Minx, were not as strong. Sam's stubbornness and Rick's high-handed ways get too repetitive after a couple of books. But it was still a nice reading.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kim76 wrote:
It makes finishing a book even better because then I get to see where it applies in the challenge (I think most people might do the reverse, pick the category first?)

I definitely pick the category first. I do it that way because it often forces me to bring to the top of my TBR pile books I was previously pushing to the bottom. By trying to fit the book to the required challenge, it stops me from just choosing to read my favorite plot, author, or setting all the time ... which I would probably do if free to do so. Wink Of course, I would read faster if I could read only the books I most prefer, but then those books I am less certain of would just continue to be ignored.

I think the solution is probably to stop buying books I'm not sure I'll like ... but then I'd never expand my reading horizons.

It's a real Catch-22!
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lost Girls of Johnson's Bayou
Jana DeLeon
Grade: C+

I loved Jana's Rumble in the Bayou. Easily one of the best funny books I ever read. This one was a disappointment in that it was almost too light and easy.

She doesn't remember anything about her past. Ginny walked out of the swamp at six years of age and her birth family was never discovered. Taken in by the Madeline she grows up in the small bayou town almost curiousity free. But a set of dreams have her exploring an abandoned girls school in the bayou, wondering what she is seeing.

Paul's siblings were thrust into foster care when their parents died. Now he is looking for his sister and having a heck of a time finding her. All trails seem to lead back to a girls school which burned down in the bayou. Conveniently, all the records are gone with it. But Paul doesn't find that convenient - he finds it suspicious. A former cop and current PI he starts to follow every lead he can find. And the biggest and best one is the beautiful Ginny.

Sweet, easily readable but not really satisfying.

maggie b.

The Serious Dozen, 2 down, 11 to go
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kim76 wrote:
Thanks, Maggie, for these great challenges! This will be the second year I've tried to decrease my TBR pile by having fun with these challenges (I pick a few challenges that sound fun and see how many I can finish by the end of the year...I don't choose one book a month...just mark them off as I read them and they apply. No book can be used for two categories in one challenge though.)

Last year, I easily completed the 12 Days of Christmas Challenge...very fun!

This year, I'm going to try the Music, 13 Movies, Holiday, and Original Thirteen Challenges.

You are welcome! But I was not solely responsible for this years challenge - Sandlynn and Karat both contributed. Library Addict did last years. So it has definitely been a group effort.

Since my TBR is HUGE and made up of books that I didn't get to right away for one reason or another I do pick the challenge I want to do and then find the books that fit that challenge. I need the discipline or I would just read whatever I want. Sad but true.

maggie b.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: