AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why are the American romance covers so cheesy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JyLnC wrote:
In this case, I prefer the American version, too. Everyone has different tastes but Harlequin will use cover styles that have proven successful based on their sales figures. It's all about the bottom line.

Here is one of my favorite US Series Covers from our 2009 Cover Cafe contest. I love it!

2009 - 4th Place

Entangled Publishing has launched several digital Series imprints this year. They have a more minimalist design and we'll have to see how they fare in the 2012 cover contest.

Linnae aka JyLnC
Cover Cafe Committee Chair

Entangled Publishing is an interesting case. They launched their category lines with the claim that they weren't your mother's Harlequins (or something like that), and based on the success of a number of Entangled titles, it seems their minimalist approach to covers works.

Since FSoG-style covers are currently sweeping through erotic romance ( Rolling Eyes), I wonder what historical hit will influence a change in historical romance covers!
JaneO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awhile back, Joanna Bourne posted some of her covers from German and other editions. They were so much classier than the American covers!

I can't help thinking that this indicates a certain contempt on the part of publishers for the American readers of Romance.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaneO wrote:
Awhile back, Joanna Bourne posted some of her covers from German and other editions. They were so much classier than the American covers!

I can't help thinking that this indicates a certain contempt on the part of publishers for the American readers of Romance.

I don't think it's contempt, but art departments lacking innovation and inspiration when it comes to creating covers for genre fiction. Or possibly, the [currently slipping] power of booksellers, who can/could nix covers or titles they don't like if they feel sales will tank--hence why no red-headed heroes on covers, or slim models when the heroine is described as curvy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: