AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fifty Shades #5...Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Enjoyed this article! 10 reasons 'Fifty Shades of Grey' has shackled readers

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/story/2012-07-09/fifty-shades-of-grey-el-james-summers-hottest-book/56119174/1

Especially the closing statement quotes Christian -

So before you dismiss Fifty Shades as silly or demeaning having never read a word, here's Christian Grey's advice: "We are consenting adults and what we do behind closed doors is between ourselves. You need to free your mind and listen to your body."

Linda

Nice article. Thanks for posting it. I do believe that the popularity of the books center around the love story, and not the BDSM..or what there is of it. It is boy-meets-girl, boy-loses-girl, boy-gets-girl-back. Pretty typical of a romance novel, but different. I'm so glad I'm on the "I like the books" side. Much more fun.
janet w

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Should you recommend "based" off 50 if you don't l Reply with quote

I really got a kick out of BookThingo's blog on 50Shades recommendations. I'm going to excerpt a couple choice lines, because they made me laugh. http://bookthingo.com.au/ I bet I'm not the only one noticing that 31 million readers around the world is changing the tone of the discussion a tad ...

Why readers love Fifty Shades of Grey (and why the literati still donít get it)

If you donít understand the appeal of the Fifty Shades trilogy, then please stop pretending to recommend books to FSoG readers when youíre actually recommending books to readers who are not them.

And also, (but read the blog, it's a lot of fun!)

Itís ironic, too, that romance readers who didnít like the Fifty Shades trilogy are forced to suffer through the media hype and misunderstanding directed at them. Itís become so frustrating that we sometimes forget that blame for the literatiís ignorance shouldnít be laid at the feet of readers who have fallen in love with Ana and Christianís story, despite its flaws.
mirole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikesBadBoys: nice to see you back here! I agree with everything you say in your post.

Some more 50S movie news:

1. Producer war over

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/1224167--fifty-shades-of-grey-movie-to-be-produced-by-the-social-network-team

2. Another sales milestone

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2012/07/50-shades-of-grey-series-20-million-sold.html
xina

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirole wrote:

2. Another sales milestone

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2012/07/50-shades-of-grey-series-20-million-sold.html

Holy Cow! 20 million. Amazing.
Diana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Should you recommend "based" off 50 if you don Reply with quote

janet w wrote:
I really got a kick out of BookThingo's blog on 50Shades recommendations. I'm going to excerpt a couple choice lines, because they made me laugh. http://bookthingo.com.au/ I bet I'm not the only one noticing that 31 million readers around the world is changing the tone of the discussion a tad ...

Why readers love Fifty Shades of Grey (and why the literati still donít get it)

If you donít understand the appeal of the Fifty Shades trilogy, then please stop pretending to recommend books to FSoG readers when youíre actually recommending books to readers who are not them.

And also, (but read the blog, it's a lot of fun!)

Itís ironic, too, that romance readers who didnít like the Fifty Shades trilogy are forced to suffer through the media hype and misunderstanding directed at them. Itís become so frustrating that we sometimes forget that blame for the literatiís ignorance shouldnít be laid at the feet of readers who have fallen in love with Ana and Christianís story, despite its flaws.

The blogger is open-minded while admitting that the books aren't for her. I wish more people would take her point (I colored red above). Adding to her observation that the literati feel entitled to belittle 50 readers, it's sadly true that the much of the pointing and laughing is coming from the romance community.

I was actually thinking of responding to Kat's request for recs from people who enjoyed the books but before I got around to it the comment thread was taken over by non-readers and had turned into what happens every time the books are mentioned. Not the blogger's fault, but I'm not going there.

So about those recs from readers who liked the 50 books...I think a big part of the appeal is the powerful, dominant man who falls hard. In that vein, I recommend:

Shannon McKenna -- Behind Closed Doors
Linda Howard -- Dream Man, Kill and Tell, All the Queen's Men, Diamond Bay, The Mackenzies.
Sarah McCarty -- Promises Linger, Caine's Reckoning
Lisa Marie Rice -- Midnight Man. Actually all of her books.

What would you recommend?
kmredd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
kmredd wrote:
After reading this blog I went over to see the trailers for the movie and OMG!! The trailers with Robert Patterson are HOT! I always thought that the actors from Twilight should not be in this movie but I've changed my mind. So far I haven't seen anyone who I could believe was Christian but I can believe Robert Patterson is Christian!!OMG!I was going to ask you guys what you thought but now I don't want to know. I'm afraid you won't like it. Only say something if you like it. K?

Oh I'd love to see links to other trailers, can you share?

Linda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMh8_J78PhU&feature=related I hope this works. I've never done it before. You can go to utube and get all kinds of FSF trailers. The ones with Pattinson are HOT!!
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reluctant to read the book because I don't like BDSM. If this book wasn't getting all this attention, I wouldn't even consider it.
kmredd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one. I'm dying to hear what you think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--4xhrzab80&feature=related
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmredd wrote:
Here's another one. I'm dying to hear what you think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--4xhrzab80&feature=related

I think RP has quite a lot of sexy BDSM shots out there, I didn't realize! Dang! lol Kristen Stewart though, just can't see it but if they did choose her I would try to keep an open mind.

They have an official facebook page for the movie if anyone is interested -

https://www.facebook.com/fiftyshadesofgreymovie

Linda
mirole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
I'm reluctant to read the book because I don't like BDSM. If this book wasn't getting all this attention, I wouldn't even consider it.

Sandlynn: If you haven't read the book yet and are wary of BDSM, I encourage you to read it. This book is not about BDSM, it's about love and relationship. One of the people in the relationship was into BDSM but the other was not hence the conflict.

Unlike you, I am not wary of BDSM nor am I turned on by it, I am just curious. So I read several BDSM romances but can honestly say they left me cold (and most of the times, bored as there was BDSM sex pretty much all the time leaving almost no space for a love story). In this book it's only part of the plot.

I talked with a few women at work all of whom read and liked/loved the book. All of them are non-romance readers and all of them said the reason they liked the books was the story.

I cannot help laughing every time I read berating 1-star reviews of FSoG on Amazon or Goodreads where reviewers condescendingly say, 'If you want to read good quality erotica/BDSM, go read The Sleeping Beauty books or The Story of O or Carrie's Story.' It's like apples and oranges.

I agree with Dianaís recommendations (at least with those Iíve read) and also want to add that for me also part of the appeal was very high intensity of the relationship, high drama, angst.

Taking all this into consideration, I would recommend Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire (the closest fit) and

another Linda Howard Ė Sarahís Child
Black Ice by Anne Stuart
Kiss an Angel by S.E. Phillips (perfect mix of angst and humour as is the case in FSoG)
Passion by Lisa Valdez
Broken by Megan Hart
The Blue-Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas
Sweet Gum Tree by Katherine Allred
Letters from a Secret Lover by Toni Blake (you have to suspend disbelief a bit more than usual as there are a couple of incredible conincidences)

Note that Beautiful Disaster while, I think, comes closest to FSoG in terms of the story, angst level, etc., does not have the same heat level (e.g. breasts are not even mentioned once in love scenes). So again, recommending Sleeping Beauty books to those who loved FS books would be completely wrong.

Then again if someone who has read FS books says, ĎOh, I loved the BDSM aspect, Iíd love to delve more into it in my further readingí, then such recommendations would be appropriate.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirole wrote:
[I cannot help laughing every time I read berating 1-star reviews of FSoG on Amazon or Goodreads where reviewers condescendingly say, 'If you want to read good quality erotica/BDSM, go read The Sleeping Beauty books or The Story of O or Carrie's Story.' It's like apples and oranges.

Apples and oranges is right, by far these two books are hardcore BDSM and read more like torture to me. I found them deeply disturbing and without a real love story. FSoG is BDSM light, just enough to give a little thrill but no hardcore pain involved and it's the relationship that is the star of the book.

I agree with the Passion rec, it comes the closest.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Should you recommend "based" off 50 if you don Reply with quote

Diana wrote:

The blogger is open-minded while admitting that the books aren't for her. I wish more people would take her point (I colored red above). Adding to her observation that the literati feel entitled to belittle 50 readers, it's sadly true that the much of the pointing and laughing is coming from the romance community.

I was actually thinking of responding to Kat's request for recs from people who enjoyed the books but before I got around to it the comment thread was taken over by non-readers and had turned into what happens every time the books are mentioned. Not the blogger's fault, but I'm not going there.

So about those recs from readers who liked the 50 books...I think a big part of the appeal is the powerful, dominant man who falls hard. In that vein, I recommend:

Shannon McKenna -- Behind Closed Doors
Linda Howard -- Dream Man, Kill and Tell, All the Queen's Men, Diamond Bay, The Mackenzies.
Sarah McCarty -- Promises Linger, Caine's Reckoning
Lisa Marie Rice -- Midnight Man. Actually all of her books.

What would you recommend?

Lately, I have been puzzled/amused by the list of recommendations to read after FSoG coming from people who haven't read the book. How do you know what might be similar if you haven't read it?? Just listing some romance or erotica with BDSM themes doesn't cut it.
So, what to recommend? That is a tough one, because I know at least 10 people in my life (outside of the online romance community) who have read it. A couple read romance and enjoy it, but most haven't explored the genre. Bottom line, what appeals to these readers seems to be the love story. Christian starts out as unattainable, but as the story goes on he falls in love with Ana. What happens along the way and the way he changes into a man in love, is the appeal. At least that is the way I am seeing it. Recommending to those non romance readers is tough. I've given a few of them romance novel suggestions, but none with a BDSM theme. One of my friends read the JR Ward series and loved it. Another read the Outlander series...whipped through it in a couple weeks. My daughter read Beautiful Disaster. She probably won't be reading romance novels because they really don't appeal to her, and she might be an example of many of the FSoG readers. I've even had hard time recommending to my DIL who has been reading romance since a teenager. I wouldn't recommend Bared To You or even Passion (a book I loved). I think this series of books is one of a kind.
Aside from that...my tv is on in the background. Kathie Lee and Hoda are discussing who should play Christian in the movie. Being a "fan" of the books...I think that's awesome. Smile
xina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:

There is very light BDSM, if you could even call it that. And I think the first person delivery makes it even less.
janet w

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: 1. Writer chosen 2. Spoiler Reply with quote

http://www.jimpiddock.com/biography.php My twitter feed @50ShadesSource is full of bummed out ladies who wanted either a dark writer (Bret Easton Ellis) or a angst-rom writer (like whoever did The Notebook) but I'm thrilled. This guy grew up in Britain and he's from the comedy side of the ledger and anyone who didn't enjoy the humour in 50 is missing something. Like when Ana said, when she found out her gift car was an Audi sub special, "so not so special then". Plus their texts and emails are full of jokes and pointed comments. E L James worked for a trio of British comedians -- I trust her judgement. The material is dark enough -- how boring if the entire movie was all angsty/dark.

Spoilers about the BDSM. Unlike many books with a strong BDSM component (and I agree w/everyone who says this is light, verra light), Ana has something to say about the level of pain she'll tolerate. Enjoy. Wants. She didn't put her brain on hold when she fell for Christian (anymore than a person in love does, but of course with them it works both ways). Edited for grammar
xina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1. Writer chosen 2. Spoiler Reply with quote

janet w wrote:
http://www.jimpiddock.com/biography.php My twitter feed @50ShadesSource is full of bummed out ladies who wanted either a dark writer (Bret Easton Ellis) or a angst-rom writer (like whoever did The Notebook) but I'm thrilled. This guy grew up in Britain and he's from the comedy side of the ledger and anyone who didn't enjoy the humour in 50 is missing something. Like when Ana said, when she found out her gift car was an Audi sub special, "so not so special then". Plus their texts and emails are full of jokes and pointed comments. E L James worked for a trio of British comedians -- I trust her judgement. The material is dark enough -- how boring if the entire movie was all angsty/dark.

This just in....Apparently, this news may just be a rumor. They don't have a screenwriter yet. Who can keep up with all this??? Smile
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: